Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Berserk (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Berserk (1993)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I couldn't find a thread about this one, I thought I'd make on myself.

Like other projects I brought up before, I think this is a pretty cool concept, an incredibly wild yet creepy spin on the classic alien origins of Mechagodzilla. Like a metallic/mechanical version of Hedorah, the Blob, and John Carpenter's take on The Thing combined. I even think Godzilla 2000 took some slight elements from this idea.

Apparently, the person who proposed this draft was none other than Yutaka Izubuchi, who would eventually create the RahXephon manga/anime series; I haven't watched it yet, but from what I've heard and seen, it's seems pretty interesting.

Anyways, I guess the reason this never gone off the ground was because trying to the eldritch mass of wires and metal to life would be ambitious as well as take up of lot of time, money & effort, even with the budgets Toho must've had at the time. But I think nowadays with bigger budgets and better technology, they could do so in today's world.

But those are some of my thoughts, what about yours? Please feel free to express your ideas, thoughts and opinions down below. Thank you.

Link below:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... rserk.html
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Berserk (1993)

Post by Gigantis »

I remember when this project was first found, the first translation of Berserk's name came out as "Balsack". :lol:

I honestly hope that Toho reuses this concept for a future Mechagodzilla film, not only is it incredibly creepy to think of a metallic monster who can easily change the shape to whatever it wants, but i'm skreoonking sick of having MechaG be man-made.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:I remember when this project was first found, the first translation of Berserk's name came out as "Balsack". :lol:

I honestly hope that Toho reuses this concept for a future Mechagodzilla film, not only is it incredibly creepy to think of a metallic monster who can easily change the shape to whatever it wants, but i'm skreoonking sick of having MechaG be man-made.
As much as I hate to even think about Anime Mechagodzilla, it basically is Berserk. Just way, way worse.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Honestly the concept of a metalic-dependant Alien modeling itself into Godzilla's shape is a pretty damn unique take on MG's character, and one that doesn't take away from his initial nature as an extraterrestrial weapon. Would have been pretty cool and unnerving to see.

And man the first translated title of this was priceless :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.