Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Mechamothra (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Mechamothra (1993)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I couldn't find any thread here about this vague project, I thought I'd make one myself.

I really like this idea, since I see some potential to it. I think it's likely they would've had some elements from GvMGII into this: Like would they still use the robotic parts of Mechaghidorah to rebuild Mothra? Would they bring in the Baby Godzilla as well? Would it be cool to see Mechamothra not only fight Papa Godzilla, but also Fire/White Rodan as well? Would Battra return? What would the Shobijin feel about all this? Who knows what other elements they would've used had this gone off the ground? We may never know...

But those are my thoughts? What about yours? Please feel free to express your ideas, thoughts and opinions regarding this lost project in the comments below. Thank you.

Link below:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... othra.html
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Mechamothra (1993)

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think a Mechamothra concept in a GTSOS-type movie where the Shobijin ask humanity to halt using Mechamothra (rather than a Godzilla-rooted Mechagodzilla).

In fact, a Godzilla/Mothra multi-movie saga trilogy would be really cool to have these types of movies, a series that would have Godzilla and Mothra movies together, although they wouldn't be a "big" universe. Probably somewhat like what we might've had in the Heisei series if they'd make Mothra vs Bagan and that movie was a box office win.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ゴジラ、ゴジラ、ゴジラとメカゴジラ
ゴジラ、ゴジラ、ゴジラとメカゴジラ
モスラ、モスラ、モスラとメカモスラ

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Tohosaurus wrote:I think a Mechamothra concept in a GTSOS-type movie where the Shobijin ask humanity to halt using Mechamothra (rather than a Godzilla-rooted Mechagodzilla).
Yeah, it would definitely fit for a sequel to Tokyo SOS had that continued. What potential.
Tohosaurus wrote:In fact, a Godzilla/Mothra multi-movie saga trilogy would be really cool to have these types of movies, a series that would have Godzilla and Mothra movies together, although they wouldn't be a "big" universe. Probably somewhat like what we might've had in the Heisei series if they'd make Mothra vs Bagan and that movie was a box office win.
That would be cool too. Maybe even they would create a 'Mecharodan' as well. ;)
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I'm not sure. At first glance, it seems kind of silly. It almost sounds like a cash-in on the whole mecha-boom that Japan was experiencing at the time (not unlike how many a mechagodzilla were). However, for all we know the Mechamothra monster itself could have had potential, both design and story-wise. Since Mechamothra would have been made from the remains of the real Mothra, I imagine that neither the Shobijin would be very pleased at the thought of their guardian deity being violated and turned into a weapon. I also imagine that Mothra's spirit (which would probably come up sooner or later) wouldn't be very happy herself! But the neat thing about this idea is that it could have been an interesting commentary on how humankind exploits the Earth's resources to fuel our arrogant, greedy, and even violent lifestyles. In fact, if done properly, we could have seen a story that explored the contrast between Japan's nature-based spiritual heritage, and their status as a material-based technological powerhouse. (Not to mention, in action, it might have been a really cool VTol-style aerial superweapon!) Sadly, since the Heisei movies were mostly focused on showcasing Japan's technological supremacy, as well as showcasing action and special-effects, we probably would've gotten a fairly average Mothra and Godzilla movie with some mecha tropes thrown-in. Still, I think it's an interesting idea to explore--even if it's just in fan-fiction or discussion boards like this.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm certain the Shobijin would have had a fit if Mothra's remains were used as a weapon. I could even see Mothra's soul taking control of the mech, leaving Japan at Godzilla's mercy until they pleaded with the Shobijin to persuade Mothra to help.

G:TSOS did a nice job of exploring the idea this film would likely have carried, though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.