Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

Post by Spuro »

^Yeah, good points there, Zarm.

I was a little harsh on my last post, but I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I don't even consider myself a Heisei hater; vs Destoroyah is one of my personal favorites.

Edit: Stupid new page...
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

G&G-Fan wrote:a whole lot of polls and stuff
This is a lot but I don't think it really counts. Almost all of these are American reviews (which don't count if we're looking for Japanese reactions) or fan polls way after the fact.
I personally love them. It's all subjective (well, except for the original; if anyone hates that they should probably be banished :lol:).
This is the truest thing here. Like what you like, if you enjoy it good for you.

Unless it's 1998. :lol:

RIP Evan.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

But don’t get mad when we make fun of you for using a poll to prove a point :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Aside from all the good points said already, the production phases of the movies, made and especially the one unmade, are particularly fascinating to me. Don't think there's ever been an Era Toho threw so many ideas at the wall in such rapid succession.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Seeing Junior growing up from this cute little tyke into an honestly adorable toddler into a powerful teenager was very satisfying.

alextheburger
Yojimbo

Post by alextheburger »

if you like beam sfx, you will love them
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

alextheburger wrote:if you like beam sfx, you will love them
Your profile pic is a work of art!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

alextheburger
Yojimbo

Post by alextheburger »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
alextheburger wrote:if you like beam sfx, you will love them
Your profile pic is a work of art!
thank you
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

-Vs. Destroyah is my second favorite of all the films
-Destroyah and Spacegodzilla were cool villains
-Great music
-Cool fights (If not over-reliant on beams)
-A lot of the characters I thought were interesting

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Ifukube's scores for the Heisei era are flawless. Whether revisions of his earlier works (King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Godzilla's themes, those tracks from the more obscure Showa films being revised, or that MOTHRA SONG, for example), or making entirely new compositions (Mechagodzilla's theme, Battra's theme, Biollante's theme, Super X2, Super X, all of those military marches, SpaceGodzilla's theme, Destroyah's theme, etc). It was such a great range, from emotional to exciting.

Those beam wars, while sometimes overdone, look amazing. the special effects got way better from the Showa era.

All of the kaiju designs look amazing. The suits and puppetry are spectacular. (Aside from a few shots with visible strings, but I digress.)
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Ifukube's scores for the Heisei era are flawless. Whether revisions of his earlier works (King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Godzilla's themes, those tracks from the more obscure Showa films being revised, or that MOTHRA SONG, for example), or making entirely new compositions (Mechagodzilla's theme, Battra's theme, Biollante's theme, Super X2, Super X, all of those military marches, SpaceGodzilla's theme, Destroyah's theme, etc). It was such a great range, from emotional to exciting.

Those beam wars, while sometimes overdone, look amazing. the special effects got way better from the Showa era.

All of the kaiju designs look amazing. The suits and puppetry are spectacular. (Aside from a few shots with visible strings, but I digress.)
The Super-X, Super-X2 (I don't know if it's an apt Godzilla theme, but MAN is it a great piece of music; so soaring and triumphant!), Biollante's theme, SpaceGodzilla's theme, and the reworked Godzilla theme are all standouts for me, so I heartily agree. That orchestration of the Mothra summoning song is probably my favorite rendition of it.

...Although, ironically, the majority of those were from pre-1991. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

It’s really great and I genuinely love it. There that’s positive.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gojira18 wrote: -A lot of the characters I thought were interesting
Like who? I'm genuinely curious.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: -A lot of the characters I thought were interesting
Like who? I'm genuinely curious.
I thought Miki was kinda cool with her telepathy, Yuki letting go of his hatred for Godzilla, Azusa's relationship with Baby Godzilla was really cute, etc

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Baby/Little/Junior being my favorite "son of Godzilla" across the franchise, having plenty of cute interactions with people as a baby, what I think is an honestly adorable design as a toddler, and actually looking like a young Godzilla as a teenager.

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

Yuki was a pretty cool character, probably the only character I liked post-1991.
Member of the League of Shadows.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

You know what's awesome about the heisei series? The title cards.

HELL yeah. 8-)

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzilla Junior's a solid dude.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth (1992):

From a story standpoint, I find the Mothra side of this movie really good (Honestly, Godzilla doesn't belong in this film).

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1993):

Akira Ifukube's score for this film is one of his best in both style and mood.

Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla (1994):

Scapegodzilla is an awesome monster. Sure, execution-wise he's a bit ridiculous, but I always loved his concept.

Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995):

I find the story in this film the best out of the four on this list. It has a connection to the original, working as an continuation and closure. It has the best messages about nuclear testing and the hardships that Godzilla has caused since probably 1984 and making the oxygen destroyer an actual enemy for Godzilla to overcome was an awesome concept. (Oh, and the best way to end a Godzilla movie ever!)
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Reading through what Toho Kingdom thinks of the Heisei Era as a whole makes me lose faith in humanity.

Mostly because it's by far my favorite era of the whole series. I literally only dislike two movies in the Heisei Era:

Godzilla vs Mothra, and The Return of Godzilla (Vs Mothra is just kinda mediocre and bare-bones, and Return is just boring).

I was under the impression for the longest time that the Heisei films were mostly all beloved by the fanbase.
Then I came here and just felt so disheartened seeing so much hatred and distaste for what is, in my opinion, a great series of films.

Then again, I'm also assuming it has something to do with age, as I imagine I'm far younger than most people here. But then I really have no clue. I grew up with these films alongside the Showa and Millenium films, and took a particular liking to the Heisei Era.

But then what does my opinion matter? I'm just some stupid kid who can't appreciate "true art" like Son of Godzilla, as I've been reminded by plenty of people on this site before. I'm just dumbfounded. I feel like the only forum sections here where people have been welcoming and pleasant to be around are the RP forums.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ