Page 3 of 4

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:55 am
by MechaGoji Bro7503
Cybermat47 wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:The one negative thing I can say about the Heisei Series is that Yakuza subplot in GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA. That was kinda pointless.


It served only to extend the runtime. Also, I have to wonder... why was the Yakuza leader white? Is there a mobster exchange program?

That said... I actually like the Yakuza subplot. It’s just so random and sudden that I can’t help but laugh at it. I mean, it literally just bursts in on the main characters and beats them while they sleep. It also ends beautifully, with Dr. Okubo majestically straddling a computer.

Also, Miki finally becomes a Jedi.

See, it isn't just the Showa Era that has wacky moments..... it's nearly all of Godzilla. :P

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:29 am
by Cybermat47
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:The one negative thing I can say about the Heisei Series is that Yakuza subplot in GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA. That was kinda pointless.


It served only to extend the runtime. Also, I have to wonder... why was the Yakuza leader white? Is there a mobster exchange program?

That said... I actually like the Yakuza subplot. It’s just so random and sudden that I can’t help but laugh at it. I mean, it literally just bursts in on the main characters and beats them while they sleep. It also ends beautifully, with Dr. Okubo majestically straddling a computer.

Also, Miki finally becomes a Jedi.

See, it isn't just the Showa Era that has wacky moments..... it's nearly all of Godzilla. :P


Absolutely. The Millenium era has the weird tree friendship subplot, Josef Stalin, Anguirusball, and the epic war of wits between the cop and the pimp, the Monsterverse has the media praising Godzilla as a hero after he kills dozens of innocents and servicemen in Hawaii and on the Golden Gate Bridge, Shin has that random “Godzilla is God” protest scene, Kamata-Kun (which is wacky and kinda creepy IMO), Kayoco’s “American accent”, and “our nuclear wisdom is the only hope for mankind”, and the anime trilogy has PPC news and “mobile breeding battle city”.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 am
by Major sssspielberg!
King Ghidorah going out like a punk, and the fact that his roars were replaced by Rodan's.
Actually, the fact that Rodan's roar was given to *three* different critters before he actually appeared.
And I know this is childish, but the fact that Rodan and Godzy didn't get a real team up against Mechagodzilla.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:36 am
by LegendZilla
I’m calling it. This thread was done as an attempt to troll me for making a thread that does not coincide with popular opinion. Zarm summed it up perfectly.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am
by tbeasley
I think the worst thing you can say is that Toho began pumping the films out on a rushed year by year basis, something they continued into the Millennium series.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 am
by GigaBowserG
tbeasley wrote:I think the worst thing you can say is that Toho began pumping the films out on a rushed year by year basis, something they continued into the Millennium series.


But that's been a thing since the Showa era.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:22 pm
by Mr_Goji_and_Watch
GigaBowserG wrote:
But that's been a thing since the Showa era.

Toho pumped out at least one new movie every week. It was the norm. Besides, directors like Honda and Fukuda and their crews were much more talented.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:36 pm
by tbeasley
I guess I meant the quality of films like ROG, Biollante even King Ghidorah (as nutty as it is) being a notch higher compared what came after. I get Toho shifting focus after Mothra did well but it's interesting to think what the series could've been if they stuck to the tone set by ROG/Biollante.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 pm
by NSZ
It nosedives in quality after Biollante. And I do mean nosedives, WW2-era plane droning and all.

I know that some people here say that GvKG was the last good Heisei movie, but I re-watched this movie for the first time in a long while yesterday and again today, and I am just stunned by how much of an actual mess it is. I don't know if this is something exclusive to the dub, but five people treating the notion that Godzilla isn't friendly as something that's supposed to be a shocking development is five too goddamn many.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:31 am
by Showa Gyaos
To mirror NSZ's statements, Biollante was the last good Heisei film. Every film after that was rather mediocre.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:43 pm
by kamilleblu
The WWII/Godzillasaurus battle in Godzilla vs King Ghiodrah is one of the single worst sequences in the franchise. Forget anti-American sentiments, nearly everything about the scene is offensive. You have easily the worst performances ever given by Westerners in a Godzilla film, awkward fight choreography and editing, shots that just don't work, and the scene goes on too long. Whenever Godzillasaurus is onscreen alone it's normally fine. But just about everything that requires interaction with the troops/environment or the monster doing anything more than walking/roaring looks really bad.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:38 pm
by LegendZilla
If I were to acknowledge any imperfections of the Heisei series, they will be :

-The lack of Anguirus.
-The bad habit of casually ripping off American blockbusters.
-Questionable choices at choosing English-speaking actors.
-Godzilla Vs Mothra is the only film in the series that I can truly say I dislike.
-While Godzilla Vs SpaceGodzilla had some interesting ideas like Project T and the Yakuza wanting to use mind control on Godzilla, they weren't executed properly.
-The fact that they receive more nitpicking that they deserve.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:16 pm
by PitchBlackProgress
saying "the lack of Anguirus" is kinda nitpicky :lol:

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:07 pm
by Cybermat47
LegendZilla wrote:If I were to acknowledge any imperfections of the Heisei series, they will be :

-The fact that they receive more nitpicking that they deserve.


How is that the fault of the films?

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 am
by kamilleblu
Heisei films have the least interesting human characters of all Godzilla films. The only exception is Godzilla vs Biollante.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 am
by HedorahGrabber
kamilleblu wrote:Heisei films have the least interesting human characters of all Godzilla films. The only exception is Godzilla vs Biollante.

I found it the least interesting overall. I only dug the first 3 and that's really it. I would even go as far as saying Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is the worst Godzilla film.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 am
by JAGzilla
^ There's a statement I'd like to see elaborated on. It's got serious problems, sure, but 'worst in the series' is a title a film has to actively work for.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:55 am
by HedorahGrabber
JAGzilla wrote:^ There's a statement I'd like to see elaborated on. It's got serious problems, sure, but 'worst in the series' is a title a film has to actively work for.

Every Godzilla film has kept me entertained throughout history. Yes, even Raids Again, Megaguirus, 98, and All Monsters Attack kept me entertained to a certain extent. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah though, personally to me was a snore fest. Bland character, poorly executed exposition, clunky suits that while look good, don't really do much, and bland cinematography that looks like a TV show are the main reasons why I don't return to it as often as I would do with others. But it does have it's charm and is an important film in the franchise.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:01 am
by JAGzilla
Understandable. 'Boring' is a very serious sin for a spectacle film like this to commit, for sure. That's one of my big gripes about vs. Spacegodzilla: no matter how many times I see it, I can't remember much of anything about the final battle. Because it's so stiff and slow and dull. Destoroyah I haven't seen enough times to weigh in on how engaging it is, though I do remember the human cast being woefully underutilized exposition machines.

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:06 am
by HedorahGrabber
JAGzilla wrote:Understandable. 'Boring' is a very serious sin for a spectacle film like this to commit, for sure. That's one of my big gripes about vs. Spacegodzilla: no matter how many times I see it, I can't remember much of anything about the final battle. Because it's so stiff and slow and dull. Destoroyah I haven't seen enough times to weigh in on how engaging it is, though I do remember the human cast being woefully underutilized exposition machines.

That's why to me, the Heisei is very bland with only the first 3 being my favorites of the era. Those first 3 films had really cool special effects for the most part, solid/good characters, and intriguing fun plots (even if Ghidorah's plot is very confusing).