Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Cybermat47 wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:The one negative thing I can say about the Heisei Series is that Yakuza subplot in GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA. That was kinda pointless.
It served only to extend the runtime. Also, I have to wonder... why was the Yakuza leader white? Is there a mobster exchange program?

That said... I actually like the Yakuza subplot. It’s just so random and sudden that I can’t help but laugh at it. I mean, it literally just bursts in on the main characters and beats them while they sleep. It also ends beautifully, with Dr. Okubo majestically straddling a computer.

Also, Miki finally becomes a Jedi.
See, it isn't just the Showa Era that has wacky moments..... it's nearly all of Godzilla. :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:The one negative thing I can say about the Heisei Series is that Yakuza subplot in GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA. That was kinda pointless.
It served only to extend the runtime. Also, I have to wonder... why was the Yakuza leader white? Is there a mobster exchange program?

That said... I actually like the Yakuza subplot. It’s just so random and sudden that I can’t help but laugh at it. I mean, it literally just bursts in on the main characters and beats them while they sleep. It also ends beautifully, with Dr. Okubo majestically straddling a computer.

Also, Miki finally becomes a Jedi.
See, it isn't just the Showa Era that has wacky moments..... it's nearly all of Godzilla. :P
Absolutely. The Millenium era has the weird tree friendship subplot, Josef Stalin, Anguirusball, and the epic war of wits between the cop and the pimp, the Monsterverse has the media praising Godzilla as a hero after he kills dozens of innocents and servicemen in Hawaii and on the Golden Gate Bridge, Shin has that random “Godzilla is God” protest scene, Kamata-Kun (which is wacky and kinda creepy IMO), Kayoco’s “American accent”, and “our nuclear wisdom is the only hope for mankind”, and the anime trilogy has PPC news and “mobile breeding battle city”.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

King Ghidorah going out like a punk, and the fact that his roars were replaced by Rodan's.
Actually, the fact that Rodan's roar was given to *three* different critters before he actually appeared.
And I know this is childish, but the fact that Rodan and Godzy didn't get a real team up against Mechagodzilla.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I’m calling it. This thread was done as an attempt to troll me for making a thread that does not coincide with popular opinion. Zarm summed it up perfectly.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think the worst thing you can say is that Toho began pumping the films out on a rushed year by year basis, something they continued into the Millennium series.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

tbeasley wrote:I think the worst thing you can say is that Toho began pumping the films out on a rushed year by year basis, something they continued into the Millennium series.
But that's been a thing since the Showa era.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

GigaBowserG wrote:
But that's been a thing since the Showa era.
Toho pumped out at least one new movie every week. It was the norm. Besides, directors like Honda and Fukuda and their crews were much more talented.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I guess I meant the quality of films like ROG, Biollante even King Ghidorah (as nutty as it is) being a notch higher compared what came after. I get Toho shifting focus after Mothra did well but it's interesting to think what the series could've been if they stuck to the tone set by ROG/Biollante.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

It nosedives in quality after Biollante. And I do mean nosedives, WW2-era plane droning and all.

I know that some people here say that GvKG was the last good Heisei movie, but I re-watched this movie for the first time in a long while yesterday and again today, and I am just stunned by how much of an actual mess it is. I don't know if this is something exclusive to the dub, but five people treating the notion that Godzilla isn't friendly as something that's supposed to be a shocking development is five too goddamn many.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

To mirror NSZ's statements, Biollante was the last good Heisei film. Every film after that was rather mediocre.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The WWII/Godzillasaurus battle in Godzilla vs King Ghiodrah is one of the single worst sequences in the franchise. Forget anti-American sentiments, nearly everything about the scene is offensive. You have easily the worst performances ever given by Westerners in a Godzilla film, awkward fight choreography and editing, shots that just don't work, and the scene goes on too long. Whenever Godzillasaurus is onscreen alone it's normally fine. But just about everything that requires interaction with the troops/environment or the monster doing anything more than walking/roaring looks really bad.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If I were to acknowledge any imperfections of the Heisei series, they will be :

-The lack of Anguirus.
-The bad habit of casually ripping off American blockbusters.
-Questionable choices at choosing English-speaking actors.
-Godzilla Vs Mothra is the only film in the series that I can truly say I dislike.
-While Godzilla Vs SpaceGodzilla had some interesting ideas like Project T and the Yakuza wanting to use mind control on Godzilla, they weren't executed properly.
-The fact that they receive more nitpicking that they deserve.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

saying "the lack of Anguirus" is kinda nitpicky :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

LegendZilla wrote:If I were to acknowledge any imperfections of the Heisei series, they will be :

-The fact that they receive more nitpicking that they deserve.
How is that the fault of the films?

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Heisei films have the least interesting human characters of all Godzilla films. The only exception is Godzilla vs Biollante.

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

kamilleblu wrote:Heisei films have the least interesting human characters of all Godzilla films. The only exception is Godzilla vs Biollante.
I found it the least interesting overall. I only dug the first 3 and that's really it. I would even go as far as saying Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is the worst Godzilla film.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ There's a statement I'd like to see elaborated on. It's got serious problems, sure, but 'worst in the series' is a title a film has to actively work for.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

JAGzilla wrote:^ There's a statement I'd like to see elaborated on. It's got serious problems, sure, but 'worst in the series' is a title a film has to actively work for.
Every Godzilla film has kept me entertained throughout history. Yes, even Raids Again, Megaguirus, 98, and All Monsters Attack kept me entertained to a certain extent. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah though, personally to me was a snore fest. Bland character, poorly executed exposition, clunky suits that while look good, don't really do much, and bland cinematography that looks like a TV show are the main reasons why I don't return to it as often as I would do with others. But it does have it's charm and is an important film in the franchise.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Understandable. 'Boring' is a very serious sin for a spectacle film like this to commit, for sure. That's one of my big gripes about vs. Spacegodzilla: no matter how many times I see it, I can't remember much of anything about the final battle. Because it's so stiff and slow and dull. Destoroyah I haven't seen enough times to weigh in on how engaging it is, though I do remember the human cast being woefully underutilized exposition machines.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

JAGzilla wrote:Understandable. 'Boring' is a very serious sin for a spectacle film like this to commit, for sure. That's one of my big gripes about vs. Spacegodzilla: no matter how many times I see it, I can't remember much of anything about the final battle. Because it's so stiff and slow and dull. Destoroyah I haven't seen enough times to weigh in on how engaging it is, though I do remember the human cast being woefully underutilized exposition machines.
That's why to me, the Heisei is very bland with only the first 3 being my favorites of the era. Those first 3 films had really cool special effects for the most part, solid/good characters, and intriguing fun plots (even if Ghidorah's plot is very confusing).