How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Post by edgaguirus »

I suppose part of the answer to the kill switch question is to teach a lesson about playing god. They created the Gyoas , confident they could control them. But then the Gyoas turn on their creators. The Atlanteans continue their folly by trying the same thing to deal with the Gyoas. However, the monsters prove just as troublesome as the Gyoas. I suppose Gamera worked because they gave the giant turtle a psychic link to humanity. This gave man and Gamera a common cause.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I always thought that Irys was created by a secondary ancient civilization, that he was created after the fall of Atlantis. He was created using Gyaos DNA because it's so simplified and easy to work with. The Gyaos DNA is inherently corrupt or "evil" and that's what caused Irys to become corrupted. That's always what I gathered from the film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

After a few years of thinking it, I believe the Golem theory is very accurate. Atlantis/Mu/Lemuria created their monsters with alchemy/magic/mana, something like a Golem or Homunculus, they made Gyaos first as a waste control system (that's why they don't have an "off" switch on them, since the Atlanteans thought it wasn't necessary), Gyaos went feral and started eating people.

They created Jiger (Byakko) and Zigra (Oryu) to work as a team, so Zigra was able to shot Gyaos out of the air while Jiger killed them once they fell; they were made without a link to humanity, they probably got killed by the Gyaos, so the Atlanteans got the secret to win: to have their monsters fed of humanity's faith.

Barugon (Seiryu) was their fourth creation, and they gave him psychic abilities to feed on people's faith, he went out of control and started brainwashing humans into his cult.

Out of desperation, they created Iris (Suzaku) out of Gyaos material, but this time they used the Magatama to link him with a human host, he probably put Barugon to sleep and was the perfect weapon against Gyaos for a while, but then something happened, he went feral aswell. That's the only part I can't figure out, he probably got another psycho kid as his host or maybe he feeds on people's hate, and that makes him dangerous.

And then, they finally created Gamera (Genbu), The Last Hope. Unlike Iris, Gamera's Magatama were powered by Mana (that's why Iris Magatama didn't break after Legion), he then put Iris to sleep and was the definitive weapon against Gyaos, but it was too late by then, so the last remaining Atlanteans made Gamera sleep for hundreds of years, waiting until the Gyaos came back.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

King of the Monsters wrote:I believe Shusuke Kaneko has said the Gamera Heisei trilogy takes place in a world where real turtles don't exist or something, so Gamera is seen as especially strange due to matching no known species.
I get what he was going for but it seems kind of pointless to me. Like I can relate Godzilla to a dinosaur or a Dragon to a lizard, they're still gonna be fantastical monsters to me because they're really big shoot fire and can fly, they're unlike any dinosaur or lizard, in much the same way Gamera and King Kong are unlike any other turtle or ape.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

After rewatching Gamera III I’m not convinced that Irys went rogue and feral because of Gyaos DNA, but rather its major flaw was In the magatama and it’s relationship to the host. Irys seems to have a dysfunctional and toxic relationship with its host, acting like an overprotective signifcant other (killing Ayane’s less than loving family and bullies; constantly pursuing her). Irys misinterprets or grossly exaggerated Ayane’s own emotions and hate. Yes, she hates Gamera enough to want to kill him but she doesn’t hate the bullies or her family enough to want them to be killed.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Watching the film now. I want to make note the subtitles use the word turtle, but the actual characters never say the word kame for turtle, indicating that yeah in this universe turtles don’t exist, making it far more like Gamera is a golem.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

The Gamera trilogy kaiju as golems theory sounds pretty interesting indeed.
Last edited by Dino-Mario on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Golems. Alchemy. Something our science wouldn’t understand.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Probably massive creation/birthing chamber spheres. Or maybe Gamera had a nicer clean one like that while maybe the Gyaos were born like the Urak-Hai in the Lord of the Ring novel. Just coming out of the dirty ground in sacs.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The more and more its debated the more likely the golem origin is likely true.

Its cool but too bad because the idea of Gamera being part saber-tooted cat was awesome but guess that's already debunked given Kaneko said turtles don't exist in the Heisei Trilogy.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

they obviously had an advanced knowledge of genetic engineering. It's how the characters discover that the gyaos are artificially-engineered, they explain that the gyaos only have two chromosomes and that for such complex creatures that would only be the result of engineering. Literally in the dialogue of the first movie.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

a mixture of latex rubber, servos and a guy in a suit i think?

Nah im joking but in all honesty id go with the golem theory that everyone else is throwing around seeming gamera is a protector designed to fend off against the gyaos

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

G3 pretty much solidifies, in my opinion, that they are the result of mysticism and science. Gamera is the manifestation of an earth god/spirit or perhaps mana itself. I remember the close up of his impalement wound after Iris temporarily knocks him out and the orange glow of mana coming from it and there didn't seem to be any visible internal organs. Not suggesting he doesn't possess organs, but to me it definitely reinforces Gamera as something more based in the ethereal than the scientific.
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:G3 pretty much solidifies, in my opinion, that they are the result of mysticism and science. Gamera is the manifestation of an earth god/spirit or perhaps mana itself. I remember the close up of his impalement wound after Iris temporarily knocks him out and the orange glow of mana coming from it and there didn't seem to be any visible internal organs. Not suggesting he doesn't possess organs, but to me it definitely reinforces Gamera as something more based in the ethereal than the scientific.
So alchemy. Science and magic being combine to make something is called alchemy.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

If I had to guess, using my scientifically gifted mind, I figure a couple of those Mentos + Coke experiments went horribly wrong.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gamera is King Caesar... Showa KC that is.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dark science, cloning... secrets only the Sith knew.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I could definitely see Gyaos as a sith, and Gamera as a jedi.

The magic element is very possible. It would make the claw amulets and Gamera's link to man more significant.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

After watching the trilogy for the first time in years...
Gamera 3 has no business being as great as it is.
Retcons, a huge detour to focus on the enemy monster, unprecedented use of digital effects and cgi in a japanese kaiju production, an angsty teen girl...
But imo the passion of the filmmakers, to improve and evolve their own craft and in a way filmmaking as a whole, and to tell a story that has emotional punch and serve as a pretty definitive end to a story completely saves it.
All that being said I still have no goddamn idea how /why Iris is connected to the Gyaos. :?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

[quote="Major sssspielberg!"
All that being said I still have no goddamn idea how /why Iris is connected to the Gyaos. :?[/quote]

Perhaps the Atlanteans decided to fight fire with fire. They create a super version of Gyaos to take out the rest, and give it a psychic link to make sure it doesn't go rogue.