Resurrection of Godzilla: Which script do you prefer?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Which one do you prefer?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 pm

The Tanaka proposal
80%
The Nagahara draft
20%

Total votes: 5

SickleFeather
Samurai

Resurrection of Godzilla: Which script do you prefer?

Post by SickleFeather »

As we know, there are two drafts for the Resurrection of Godzilla script before getting reworked into the Return of Godzilla.

The Nagahara draft as seen here https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... ahara.html
The Tanaka proposal as seen here https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... anaka.html

What i am asking here is what script do you prefer?, personally i would pick the Tanaka one but what about you?
Discuss.
Last edited by SickleFeather on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: Resurrection of Godzilla: Which script do you prefer?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Honestly, considering there's not too much difference to me. I'd say I don't mind either.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The Tanaka proposal uses the human characters more effectively.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

King Ghidorah 1991
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

Overall I don't like either of them. No reason for Bagan to even be there other than to add to the time spent on showing off fictional vehicles and be Godzilla's beating bag. He adds nothing to the story and doesn't even play any part in its finale.

Maybe this is just another case of "lost in translation". If not... then those writers really didn't have a clue how to write this thing.

Godzillafan11 wrote:King Ghidorah 1991
What the...
Last edited by Kenpachiro Hirata on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:Overall I don't like either of them. No reason for Bagan to even be there other than to add to the time spent on showing off fictional vehicles and be Godzilla's beating bag. He adds nothing to the story and doesn't even play any part in its finale.
I think it was a case of "this is Godzilla's revival movie, we need to show off how powerful he is by pitting him against an opponent (plus people love him fighting other monsters)". Ironically, if memory serves me right, it would be Tanaka's idea to ax Bagan and turn it into a solo Godzilla movie, even though Bagan was originally his creation.

Anyway, went with the Tanaka version. Not really a fan of the hand gliders used to escape Godzilla near the last act of Nagahara's edit, and I could live without the "totem" transformation for Bagan/Bakan.
Last edited by GigaBowserG on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

1991 King Ghidorah film is my 3rd Favorite after Godzilla 1985 and 1994 SpaceGodzilla films
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The Tanaka draft is my prefered version. Although i do enjoy the "totem" Bagan from the Nagahra script.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tanaka has the stronger revival movie of the two but ultimately if Return had to have another monster Godzilla should have walked through Bakan would no trouble at all.

Godzilla's return movie shouldn't have him vurnuable unless its through means like the Super X.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I also like the Tanaka draft, though I do like Totem Bagan. I know it really doesn't add much, I can appreciate Bagan being there as it kinda has a magic vs. reality vibe to it. I feel like if a rewrite as made to make Bagan a more neutral or even somewhat benign entity, it be stronger of an impact on its death. Here is Godzilla, a harbinger of nuclear devastation, managing to lay low both man's technology as well as it's mythology. In the end, it takes turning that power against itself to stop it.

I still like the final product more, but I can see either of these scripts turning out into a good enough movie with maybe a few tweaks.