Japanese Godzilla poster artist for the Heisei and Millennium Series: who is he and how can I get copies of his work?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Japanese Godzilla poster artist for the Heisei and Millennium Series: who is he and how can I get copies of his work?

Post by mikelcho »

Can anyone tell me which Japanese artist did the poster art for the Heisei and Millennium Godzilla and Rebirth of Mothra films and how I can get pictures of them-say, something that's big enough to put in a folder or something? Also, I'd like to know if he did all of the films between 1984 and 2004.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Japanese Godzilla poster artist for the Heisei and Millennium Series: who is he and how can I get copies of his work

Post by eabaker »

The artist's name is Noriyoshi Ohrai. And, yes, I believe he did the artwork posters for that entire span - he definitely did the entire Heisei era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Re: Japanese Godzilla poster artist for the Heisei and Millennium Series: who is he and how can I get copies of his work

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:Can anyone tell me which Japanese artist did the poster art for the Heisei and Millennium Godzilla and Rebirth of Mothra films and how I can get pictures of them-say, something that's big enough to put in a folder or something? Also, I'd like to know if he did all of the films between 1984 and 2004.
What do you mean by "folder"? Like, a computer folder or like a physical manila folder? Either way, check Wikizilla.org, they usually have high-quality scans.

Ohrai did all the Heisei films, Megaguirus, GMK, and Final Wars. TMK he didn't do the initial G2K poster (IIRC, that was Yuji Sakai) and GXMG and Tokyo SOS didn't have painted posters.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Can anyone tell me which Japanese artist did the poster art for the Heisei and Millennium Godzilla and Rebirth of Mothra films and how I can get pictures of them-say, something that's big enough to put in a folder or something? Also, I'd like to know if he did all of the films between 1984 and 2004.
What do you mean by "folder"? Like, a computer folder or like a physical manila folder? Either way, check Wikizilla.org, they usually have high-quality scans.

Ohrai did all the Heisei films, Megaguirus, GMK, and Final Wars. TMK he didn't do the initial G2K poster (IIRC, that was Yuji Sakai) and GXMG and Tokyo SOS didn't have painted posters.
I see that an explanation is necessary. I once bought from a comic book store an import collection of Japanese postcards from Toho that had, among other things, the artwork (without the Japanese text) of the 7 Heisei films and G2K. Unfortunately, it didn't have any other poster artwork beyond that point. That's pretty much what I'm looking for-something in that size. Basically, it would have to be the 7 Heisei films, the RofM films, the first two Millennium films, GMK and GFW (I gave the 7 postcards to a G-loving friend of mine to whom I'd given the 7 films on VHS and didn't keep the eighth one). The only thing about these postcards is that the text on the back was in Japanese; I'd need something in English. If anyone can help out, please do so.

Added in 4 hours 21 minutes 54 seconds:
mikelcho wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

I see that an explanation is necessary. I once bought from a comic book store an import collection of Japanese postcards from Toho that had, among other things, the artwork (without the Japanese text) of the 7 Heisei films and G2K. Unfortunately, it didn't have any other poster artwork beyond that point. That's pretty much what I'm looking for-something in that size. Basically, it would have to be the 7 Heisei films, the RofM films, the first two Millennium films, GMK and GFW (I gave the 7 postcards to a G-loving friend of mine to whom I'd given the 7 films on VHS and didn't keep the eighth one or any of the other postcards). The only thing about these postcards is that the text on the back was in Japanese; I'd need something in English. If anyone can help out, please do so.
Added in 20 days 20 minutes 44 seconds:
Re: Japanese Godzilla poster artist for the Heisei and Millennium Series: who is he and how can I get copies of his work?
Two questions. First, can someone please eliminate the first version of my last post and leave the second corrected one behind? Second, did Ohrai do the poster art for all three of the Rebirth of Mothra films also? Because if he did, I'd like to get copies of those, too.

Added in 3 days 15 hours 34 minutes 7 seconds:
mikelcho wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I see that an explanation is necessary. I once bought from a comic book store an import collection of Japanese postcards from Toho that had, among other things, the artwork (without the Japanese text) of the 7 Heisei films and G2K. Unfortunately, it didn't have any other poster artwork beyond that point. That's pretty much what I'm looking for-something in that size. Basically, it would have to be the 7 Heisei films, the RofM films, the first two Millennium films, GMK and GFW (I gave the 7 postcards to a G-loving friend of mine to whom I'd given the 7 films on VHS and didn't keep the eighth one or any of the other postcards). The only thing about these postcards is that the text on the back was in Japanese; I'd need something in English. If anyone can help out, please do so.
Added in 20 days 20 minutes 44 seconds:
Re: Japanese Godzilla poster artist for the Heisei and Millennium Series: who is he and how can I get copies of his work?
Two questions. First, can someone please eliminate the first version of my last post and leave the second corrected one behind? Second, did Ohrai do the poster art for all three of the Rebirth of Mothra films also? Because if he did, I'd like to get copies of those, too.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Ohrai did all the Heisei films, Megaguirus, GMK, and Final Wars. TMK he didn't do the initial G2K poster (IIRC, that was Yuji Sakai) and GXMG and Tokyo SOS didn't have painted posters.
Ohrai did not do GMK.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

crowzilla wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote: Ohrai did all the Heisei films, Megaguirus, GMK, and Final Wars. TMK he didn't do the initial G2K poster (IIRC, that was Yuji Sakai) and GXMG and Tokyo SOS didn't have painted posters.
Ohrai did not do GMK.
Multiple sites I’m looking at say he did the painted GMK poster.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:
crowzilla wrote: Ohrai did not do GMK.
Those sites would be incorrect then.
All of Ohrai's Godzilla paintings are signed by him, and Toho left the signature plainly visible when producing the posters.
There is no signature on GMK, not to mention of course it is not displayed at any Ohrai retrospective in Japan (including the most recent one which featured all of his Godzilla poster work), in fact the webpage for his current exhibitionhttp://ohrai.net/biography.htmlnotes that he did a total of nine films for Toho, so that would be 84, 89, 91,92,93,94,95, 2000, and 2004.

I love the GMK poster, have it hanging up by my desk but if you look closely at it and say the Godzilla/Ghidorah image from GvKG you will notice that the styles are different.

*edited as I put 2001, when of course Megagiras came out in 2000

Added in 6 minutes 49 seconds:
Japanese Wiki page does not credit GMK either (and no he did not do the Mothra paintings).

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%94%9F ... 4%E7%BE%A9
Last edited by crowzilla on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

crowzilla wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
crowzilla wrote: Ohrai did not do GMK.
Those sites would be incorrect then.
All of Ohrai's Godzilla paintings are signed by him, and Toho left the signature plainly visible when producing the posters.
There is no signature on GMK, not to mention of course it is not displayed at any Ohrai retrospective in Japan (including the most recent one which featured all of his Godzilla poster work), in fact the webpage for his current exhibitionhttp://ohrai.net/biography.htmlnotes that he did a total of nine films for Toho, so that would be 84, 89, 91,92,93,94,95, 2000, and 2004.

I love the GMK poster, have it hanging up by my desk but if you look closely at it and say the Godzilla/Ghidorah image from GvKG you will notice that the styles are different.

*edited as I put 2001, when of course Megagiras came out in 2000
Well then!

That's really weird. I'm going to have to take your word for it, then.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

You don't have to take my word, you can take the word of his official site and the Japanese Wiki page I posted.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Yuji Sakai did the painting poster for G2K. Did he also do the three RoM and GMK ones, or was that someone else?

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

mikelcho wrote:Yuji Sakai did the painting poster for G2K. Did he also do the three RoM and GMK ones, or was that someone else?
Yuji Sakai the sculptor did G2K?
I had not heard that before and am not sure it is correct.
But he did not do GMK or the Mothra films.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Now all that's left to do is to find out who did the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy painted posters and what they look like (I've only seen the first one).

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

They aren't postcards, but Banpresto released collectible plastic folders of most/all of Ohrai's Godzilla posters as prizes for their 2016 lottery. You could try looking into obtaining those; I own them and they look quite nice.

You could also pursue some of art books published collecting his work, although that might prove to be a more expensive endeavor.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_ ... evancerank