Gamera 3 : Really that good?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

These "over complications" sound audience induced rather than something the movie did wrong.

Irys wasn't a countermeasure for Gamera, for one thing. It was another attempt at creating a protector for humanity, Ayana's hatred towards Gamera gave it a funny idea of who needed protecting from what. The Gamera graveyard seen at the beginning of the film establishes the project to create the Guardian of the Universe went through many failed stages before arriving at the finished product. There's nothing confusing about this.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10580
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby eabaker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:Ayana's hatred towards Gamera gave it a funny idea of who needed protecting from what.


Just brought this point up on another board, where someone was wishing that there was more to establish Irys corrupting Ayana, which to me is a fundamental misinterpretation of what's going on.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Kenpachiro Hirata
Yojimbo
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:05 am
Location: Moscow
Contact:

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Kenpachiro Hirata » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 pm

eabaker wrote:The plot is overcomplicated, for sure. The story is pretty simple, though.

Which is another problem, but it's not the core so I won't go deep into it right now.


Ivo-goji wrote:Irys wasn't a countermeasure for Gamera, for one thing. It was another attempt at creating a protector for humanity, Ayana's hatred towards Gamera gave it a funny idea of who needed protecting from what. The Gamera graveyard seen at the beginning of the film establishes the project to create the Guardian of the Universe went through many failed stages before arriving at the finished product. There's nothing confusing about this.

Graveyard full of Gamera skeletons and nothing else.
If Irys is a prototype then why it wasn't destroyed too?
And again, why base it on something that didn't work and now has to be destroyed?


eabaker wrote:someone was wishing that there was more to establish Irys corrupting Ayana, which to me is a fundamental misinterpretation of what's going on.

That's exactly what was goin' on and pretty much the only thing about Irys that isn't vague.
Ayana was indeed manipulated by Irys. It's painfully obvious unless you're willin' to skip the fact that Ayana feels ill and not her self before the first merge and later acts like a hypnotized zombie but snaps out of it right before the creature sucks her into its body against her will.


Ivo-goji wrote:sound audience induced rather than something the movie did wrong.

Addin' this excuse to my collection, thanks.
Good companion piece for the "good film is subjective" one. :)
Last edited by Kenpachiro Hirata on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10580
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby eabaker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:
eabaker wrote:someone was wishing that there was more to establish Irys corrupting Ayana, which to me is a fundamental misinterpretation of what's going on.

That's exactly what was goin' on and pretty much the only thing about Irys that isn't vague.
Ayana was indeed manipulated by Irys. It's painfully obvious unless you're willin' to skip the fact that Ayana feels ill and not her self before the first merge and later acts like a hypnotized zombie and but snaps out of it right before the creature sucks her into its body against her will.


The bond with Irys was taking a physical, emotional and psychological toll on her for sure. But the two characters' motivations seem to be more intermingled than you're giving them credit for. Irys takes advantage of Ayana's feelings, but he doesn't create them.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
SonOfGorgo
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:44 am

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby SonOfGorgo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Personally, I like all three equally.
Image
Image
Still the best... 8-)

User avatar
Kenpachiro Hirata
Yojimbo
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:05 am
Location: Moscow
Contact:

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Kenpachiro Hirata » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:27 pm

See, you skipped the "Gyaos" angle yet again even tho I keep bringin' it up. :)

It's intentional that the creature is related to Gyaos. It kills animals in the woods, kills people in the area, etc. Ayana has nothing to do with the fact that Irys acts like Gyaos.

No idea why Irys had the need to merge with Ayana tho, outside of it bein' part of the whole anti-Gamera concept... Just another fdup thing about this movie. :lol:
Last edited by Kenpachiro Hirata on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10580
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby eabaker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 pm

This conversation isn't exactly a smooth, clear back-and-forth. We're talking at cross-purposes, points from different people are getting run together as though they're part of a single argument... basically, right now this conversation is a lot more convoluted than the plot of GIII. Stepping away for the moment.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5492
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Godzillian » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:32 pm

eabaker wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:Ayana's hatred towards Gamera gave it a funny idea of who needed protecting from what.


Just brought this point up on another board, where someone was wishing that there was more to establish Irys corrupting Ayana, which to me is a fundamental misinterpretation of what's going on.

In the Gamera vs Barugon manga, meant to bridge legion and Irys, it discusses how a few monsters were made to fight Gyaos before Gamera. Gamera is the "final version", the rest are scrapped. Irys appears with the scrapped monsters which are Zigra, Jiger, and Barugon.
Image

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:Graveyard full of Gamera skeletons and nothing else.

If you need the movie to hold your hand to understand what's going on that's your fault.
Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:If Irys is a prototype then why it wasn't destroyed too?

Kurata's exposition implied that the other prototypes failed to survive because they couldn't harness the Mana properly, not that they were destroyed. Irys is still around because it didn't have that problem, and Gamera was created because once they overcame the design flaw they had a Guardian even stronger than Irys.
Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:And again, why base it on something that didn't work and now has to be destroyed?

I don't know, why does Lex Luthor keep making Kryptonian clones to kill Superman, or Dr. Eggman keep making Sonic based robots to kill Sonic? Even though these creations often end up going rogue?

The ancient civilization wouldn't be in the position they were in if they did everything perfectly. You seriously believe this is a writer error? And not one of the most common tropes in fiction? That the concept of "fight fire with fire" (and that this can go horribly wrong) needs to be explained to the viewer on-screen? Seriously?

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:sound audience induced rather than something the movie did wrong.

Addin' this excuse to my collection, thanks.
Good companion piece for the "good film is subjective" one. :)

If your mentality is really that all fired arrogant, by all means, feel free to think that way. It doesn't help your argument in the slightest.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Kaltes-Herzeleid
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Castle on the moon

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Kaltes-Herzeleid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Godzillian wrote:In the Gamera vs Barugon manga, meant to bridge legion and Irys, it discusses how a few monsters were made to fight Gyaos before Gamera. Gamera is the "final version", the rest are scrapped. Irys appears with the scrapped monsters which are Zigra, Jiger, and Barugon.


Yup. My running hypothesis is that the Gyaos DNA is just naturally evil or just prone to corrupting with it and Iris became evil because of that. Plus I know I've brought up in the past that Iris' name in the kanji representation means "Evil God" or "False God." His name alone is a clever hint to his true nature, and given that having Gyaos DNA makes him natural enemy towards Gamera, sensing Ayana's hate of Gamera meant he could finally awaken and use her to his advantage.

It's also worth noting the cultists belief that Gamera is an evil spirit is ironically the reverse of what turtles usually represent (though definitely not unintentional), considering that in the Far East the turtle is regarded as a mystical creature who's magic unites heaven and earth, the shell being considered a symbol of heaven itself.

Ivo-goji wrote:If you need the movie to hold your hand to understand what's going on that's your fault.


Pretty much. If people would just do a bit research of the spiritual elements of the movie it'd make a lot more sense.
Last edited by Kaltes-Herzeleid on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:I guess all the blood sacrifices I've been making into turtle shells worked.


Gojira tai Mosura wrote:I masturbate to my God, Hedorah every day. It pleases him.

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Ivo-goji » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 am

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: If people would just do a bit research of the spiritual elements of the movie it'd make a lot more sense.

I feel like even that's not really necessary, since the scene where Ryuseicho/Iris is compared to the symbol for Suzaku (the bird) and Ayane connects Gamera with the its "rival" Genbu (the turtle) should give viewers the gist of what the esoteric elements in the story mean, even if they're otherwise unfamiliar with the cultural context.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Cybermat47
Interpol Agent
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:51 am

Ivo-goji wrote:
Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:And again, why base it on something that didn't work and now has to be destroyed?

I don't know, why does Lex Luthor keep making Kryptonian clones to kill Superman, or Dr. Eggman keep making Sonic based robots to kill Sonic? Even though these creations often end up going rogue?


I agree with what you’re saying, Ivo, but I don’t think that other fictional examples are really the best to bring up. Those are results of familiarity resulting in better marketability.

The creation of Gamera makes me think more of Germany keeping the Bf-109 in service for 8 years rather than replacing them with Fw-190s and Me-262s, or Britain continuing to use muskets as standard issue in the Napoleonic Wars despite the invention of the rifle. New technology is resource-consuming and takes time to perfect. Far more efficient to improve and refine what you already have.
Image

User avatar
Kenpachiro Hirata
Yojimbo
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:05 am
Location: Moscow
Contact:

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Kenpachiro Hirata » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:44 pm

Godzillian wrote:In the Gamera vs Barugon manga, meant to bridge legion and Irys, it discusses how a few monsters were made to fight Gyaos before Gamera. Gamera is the "final version", the rest are scrapped. Irys appears with the scrapped monsters which are Zigra, Jiger, and Barugon.

That manga was released 4 years after ROI.
You may count it as official canon but in reality none of it was part of the original intent.


Ivo-goji wrote:Kurata's exposition implied that the other prototypes failed to survive because they couldn't harness the Mana properly, not that they were destroyed. Irys is still around because it didn't have that problem, and Gamera was created because once they overcame the design flaw they had a Guardian even stronger than Irys.

1. That's just another Kurata's assumption, which can be true or false considering that he is portrayed as narcissist with mental disorder
2. In ROI Irys wasn't even born yet so the whole "prototype" theory doesn't work anyway


Ivo-goji wrote:The ancient civilization wouldn't be in the position they were in if they did everything perfectly. You seriously believe this is a writer error? And not one of the most common tropes in fiction? That the concept of "fight fire with fire" (and that this can go horribly wrong) needs to be explained to the viewer on-screen? Seriously?

It's common sense to lern from your mistakes. If they were advanced enough to create new species than they should've been smart enough not to step on the same rake twice. And it has nothing to do with tropes, more like poor attempt at retroactive continuity.

I really don't understand why you're so saulty about this thing... It's not like these movies are some kind of timeless pieces of art. And it's not like I bash the movie in any way, because it's actually pretty cool and I like it. The fact that it a poor sequel doesn't mean I hate it. ;)
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

User avatar
Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5492
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Godzillian » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Image

Image of all the guardian monsters before Gamera. Irys was probably corrupted by that chick, the reason he woke up was probably due to a lack of mana on the planet. It was a baby Irys so it may have just been a left over one or placed on purpose in case Gyaos awoke again. Gamera and Barugon were burried by Atlantis, so I see no reason why Irys couldn't be.
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4750
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Zarm » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:2. In ROI Irys wasn't even born yet so the whole "prototype" theory doesn't work anyway

But Irys had already been created and sealed away, so eat it at some prior point. They may have decided to scrap the project at the initial stages after successfully achieving what it was they wanted to do with Mana harvesting or whatever, but they clearly had already made it, so that doesn't really stand in the way of the prototype theory.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by this statement?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Ivo-goji » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Cybermat47 wrote:I agree with what you’re saying, Ivo, but I don’t think that other fictional examples are really the best to bring up. Those are results of familiarity resulting in better marketability.

The creation of Gamera makes me think more of Germany keeping the Bf-109 in service for 8 years rather than replacing them with Fw-190s and Me-262s, or Britain continuing to use muskets as standard issue in the Napoleonic Wars despite the invention of the rifle. New technology is resource-consuming and takes time to perfect. Far more efficient to improve and refine what you already have.

That's true, the in-universe reason Irys is genetically similar to a Gyaos is simply that they were both made by Atlantis. Technological progress isn't instantaneous, they would have been hard pressed to come up with an entirely new template after they lost control of the Gyaos.

For all we know, Irys could have been made before the Gyaos went rogue; given how it adapts to suit Ayane's "mission" throughout the story, Irys's original functions might have been completely different.
Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:1. That's just another Kurata's assumption, which can be true or false considering that he is portrayed as narcissist

That has nothing to do with anything, the question you asked was why Irys wasn't destroyed like the other prototypes, the answer is no one in the movie said they were destroyed (intentionally or systematically).
Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:2. In ROI Irys wasn't even born yet so the whole "prototype" theory doesn't work anyway

Irys was in suspended animation, just like Gamera at the beginning of Guardian of the Universe. The villagers had known about its presence for generations, of course it was around in ancient times.
Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:And it has nothing to do with tropes, more like poor attempt at retroactive continuity.

How? Irys was introduced in this one movie, how was continuity revised? What contradicts what was established before?
Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:And it's not like I bash the movie in any way, because it's actually pretty cool and I like it.

You're free to feel however you like about the film.

But if you're throwing around bs about how the quality of a film isn't subjective when your objections to it are misinformed or nonsensical, then yes people are going to tell you why you're wrong.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Online
User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5305
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:19 am

^I’ve noticed that some of you guys pointed out that this movie’s ending is meant to be open ended, which is not quite the same as a cliffhanger. I guess the ending of GvD with the adult Junior in 1995 can be seen the same way if I’m not mistaken.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4750
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Zarm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:02 am

Definitely. The promise that the adventure will continue, even if the audience won't be able to see it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Anguirus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby Anguirus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:20 pm

I didn't care for Gamera 3 either, I felt it was boring with not enough action, and the non action scenes weren't good enough to hold on their own.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5375
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:02 pm

A fan made film did continue where the film left off.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."


Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest