Lost project discussion: Godzilla vs Barubaroi

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
xolta
GPN Volunteer

Re: Lost project discussion: Godzilla vs Barubaroi

Post by xolta »

The concept art makes me think some of its design was latter reused for Orga and Destoyrah. But thats just a gut feeling.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

A full translation of Hideki Oka's vs. Barubaroi treatment is now up on the main site: https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/okas-p ... anslation/

I love how Dr. Yamane is the first one to actually study the creature, and how much more characterization Commander Aso was intended to have.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Very interesting stuff, that article sheds a lot of light on things, on both this and the creative process of these movies in general. Sounds like this would have been quite the movie if it had been made.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I admit reading through the plot outline did endear this idea to me. I'll be honest I had, for the longest time, considered Vs. Destoroyah as a straight upgrade to Vs. Barubaroi; and while I do still prefer the final product this definitely did have potential. I definitely enjoy the looming threat of reengineering the oxygen destroyer based off an animal that survived it. This is pretty starkly in contrast to the final film which had another inventor accidentally start going along the same development process Serizawa had unwittingly helping revitalize Destroroyah. The plot for Commander Aso was also a splendid idea of an old soldier who perhaps is going at this knowing its his last dance but doesn't want to compromise his principles by allowing another super weapon to be engineered that could be used on humanity.

In light of the new details I would consider this still inferior to the final product which is just much more streamlined and has less clutter, but still a very interesting plot pitch and has some more of the character depth and plot complications we saw early on in Vs. Biollante that largely diminished across the Heisei saga.