Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla 2

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla 2

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I made this thread so we can discuss over this apparent unmade Godzilla film. From what I heard, the script for this was eventually rewritten into Gunhed. So I have to wonder, what else did they write out? other than Godzilla of course. What did they keep in terms of story, character, setting, etc? How would it continue where Godzilla '84 left off?

Please feel free to discuss among one another in the comments below. Thank you.

Link below:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room/godzilla2.htm
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla 2

Post by Hokmuto »

I really really hope I don't get in trouble of actually "reviving" and old topic, but I actually want to say something here: The name of the villain kaiju is absolutely absurd. What type of name is that? How unoriginal and pathetic.
Long Live The King

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Hokmuto wrote:I really really hope I don't get in trouble of actually "reviving" and old topic, but I actually want to say something here: The name of the villain kaiju is absolutely absurd. What type of name is that? How unoriginal and pathetic.
I don't know about that. Gunhed sounds rather catchy if I do say so myself. Would've been interesting seeing the Big-G going up against an A.I. with an attitude, and its army of mechs. Looking at Koichi Kawakita's work featured in GUNHED.

It would've been an interesting scene to see. I'm surprised the story wasn't revisited down the line with the Heisei, or Millennium series of films. GVsMG2 threw out the concept of life versus artificial life quite matter o of factly at the end. The Kiryu Saga touched a little on the idea, although you could say since it had to do with Kiryu being built around Godzilla-'54's bones. It was a more of a ghost story, than just tech gone wild.

[
Last edited by The One and Only on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

The One and Only wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:I really really hope I don't get in trouble of actually "reviving" and old topic, but I actually want to say something here: The name of the villain kaiju is absolutely absurd. What type of name is that? How unoriginal and pathetic.
I don't know about that. Gunhed sounds rather catchy if I do say so myself. Would've been interesting seeing the Big-G going up against an A.I. with an attitude, and its army of mechs. Looking at Koichi Kawakita's work featured in GUNHED.

It would've been an interesting scene to see. I'm surprised the story wasn't revisited down the line with the Heisei, or Millennium series of films. GVsMG2 threw out the concept of life versus artificial life quite matter o of factly at the end. The Kiryu Saga touched a little on the idea, although you could say since it had to do with Kiryu being built around Godzilla-'54's bones. It was a more of a ghost story, than just tech gone wild.

Added in 39 seconds:
The One and Only wrote:

Wow.... I am such a stupid idiotic fool... I didn't even read the articles and pressumed he meant the 1998 sequel. Haha, wow.....
Long Live The King

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Hokmuto wrote:I really really hope I don't get in trouble of actually "reviving" an old topic.
That's alright m8.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
Gunhed is the coolest mech name since Terminator
Last edited by AbudJasemAlBaldawi on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote:Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
Gunhed is the coolest mech name since Terminator
I made a comment above about my idiotic mind thinking that what was being discussed is the sequel to Godzilla (1998). Yeah, not sure why I thought this, but yeah, it happened.
Long Live The King

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Came across this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLNgFFzj1Y

Was this the actual story for Godzilla 2? It actually sounds interesting. Just another "what if".
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Cookson wrote:Came across this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLNgFFzj1Y

Was this the actual story for Godzilla 2? It actually sounds interesting. Just another "what if".
This thread is about an unused concept for a follow-up to The Return of Godzilla that eventually became Gunhed.