Why do people hate godzilla vs spacegodzilla?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Why do people hate godzilla vs spacegodzilla?

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

I noticed people put this as the worst godzilla movie, right next to godzilla's revenge. why is that so?

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Re: Why do people hate godzilla vs spacegodzilla?

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Because it moons you with no warning whatsoever.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

The plot is generally considered one of the shoddier and haphazardly thrown together in the franchise. The Yakuza subplot mainly comes to mind. Little Godzilla is also odd and pointless. The plot also drags at points.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Because it's bad.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

It's kinda like the epitome of everything wrong with the Heisei series.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Also from what I recall, SpaceGodzilla's origin involving going into a Black Hole and out of a White Hole.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Eh, I think it's hatred is undeserved, as the last 40 mins or so is one big fight, and one of the better ones in the series for having many phases and being drawn out (sue me). But for me, what becomes a big problem is seeing how the movie is really two long scenes:
-Godzilla and Baby on the Island
-Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

That's oversimplying it of course, but it feels like those two sections, Godzilla on the island and Godzilla fighting SG are two entirely different films, and the jump between them is awkward making it feel super disjointed. It also suffers from having SG being underwhelming, especially considering he's technically Godzilla. Shame Baby or Mothra isn't involved in the climax as well. I overall don't think the film is horrible, better than Revenge and Raids again by a long shot, but definitely not amazing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I like this film, its in the middle for me. Not one of my favorites.

Mostly what everyone else said, sloppy plot. And shouldn't this be in the Heisei section?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I do not hate this film. I love this film It is my favorite Godzilla movie of all time
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Perhaps people just don't like the idea of Miki being a character instead of a plot device. :P It's one of my favorites of the Heisei series, even if SpaceGodzilla is Godzilla's lamest opponent since Megalon.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I have to jump on the 'I actually rather like it' bandwagon, but I do think the length of the ending fight, the (admitted) randomness of the Yazuka subplot, and some subpar space-effects have a lot to do with it. I know that Little Godzilla (which I like) is also a source of complaint. personally, I think the movie's positives outweigh the negatives- very colorful with great visuals, a great score, SpaceGodzilla is suitably nasty and menacing, MOGUERA is pretty awesome (which actually surprised me on the last re-watch; I'd always thought of him as kinda lame), and some character arcs that I actually cared about. Even the Yazuka stuff is an excuse for a good action scene.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

I don't consider Godzilla vs Space(Super)Godzilla to be the worst of Toho's Godzilla films but I don't really like it a whole lot (save for the finale fight) either.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Zarm wrote:some subpar space-effects
I'm rather fond of those shoddy space scenes. They bring back memories of the good old days, back before the effects became too "realistic" for their own good. The goofy fight between SpaceGodzilla and Moguera was charmingly awful in a way that would make Jun Fukuda proud.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

The hate for it has always mystified me, as well. It's not a particularly good movie, but it's a lot of fun and it's nice to see a Heisei entry where Godzilla is basically the good guy for once, and I liked Miki getting to be the heroine for once instead of just appearing on the periphery. Plus Space Godzilla is pretty awesome.

The strange part to me is that I often hear the much worse Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah being hailed as a fan favorite. Heck, back int he days of bootlegs being the only source for them, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II was often a favorite and Space Godzilla is better than that one, too.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It really should've been two or three separate movies, is the problem. It had a lot of great ideas, too many for one movie, and totally failed to make good use of any of them. It ends up being a boring mess as a result. And on a more personal level, the fact that I'm not a fan of Beam Wars means that this was never going to be one of my favorites.

It does have Moguera to balance things out, though. And the dub has some hysterical lines.

EDIT: I feel the need to go ahead and clarify that I definitely don't hate the movie. It's one of my least favorites, but I can and do enjoy every Godzilla movie on one level or another. Even the '98 abomination has its good points.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's a mid tier movie for me. I love Little Godzilla and I actually think the characters are among the more engaging of the Heisei era. Still it does drag a little and the score is decent but nothing spectacular. Plus the suit is easily the worst of the era. Can't fathom why Toho is so obsessed with it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

It's way worse than Revenge.

It's dull, plot lines go nowhere, and it oscillates wildly between cartoonish fantasy and dead-faced seriousness. There's nothing going on under the hood. The final fight is three hours long.

There's the kernel of a really fun character there in Yuuki, but somehow movie manages to make even his role feel half-baked.

If you described all its elements to me on paper, I'd imagine it putting a huge smile on my face. Somehow, on screen, though, there's just no spark.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I don't necessarily hate the film. I just don't enjoy it as much as other films. Are there good moments? Yeah definitely. But the negatives honestly outweigh the positives for me at least.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It feels like a Sci-Fi (or SyFy if you want to be like that) original movie in a way. It's nothing good, but for a lazy afternoon watch, it's tolerable.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

I don't hate it, but I do feel it's the bottom of the barrel to me. It just feels shoddy and not well put together, almost like the filler arc of the Heisei series. It does have good things about it, but the cons do outweigh the pros for this one.

The things I don't like:
  • There are a lot of sequences that seem to drag on for way too long.
    Miki just comes off as annoying in this one. The Yakuza plot feels shoehorned in.
    SpaceG's origins are incredibly convoluted.
    SpaceG's actually has no real reason to come to Earth.
    Yuki's special bullet just feels laughable, as he tries to use it against a creature that has survived cannon fire, missiles, laser cannons, masers, biological agents, and swimming in lava.
    The effects feel like they pretty much didn't care or were incredibly rushed as you can see the Godzilla suit falling apart in different scenes.
    The same can be said about the sound editing, as there is a case of mismatched roar where Godzilla gives out SpaceG's roar.
    The entire take down Fukuoka Tower sequence because after 40 years of destroying buildings, Godzilla suddenly can't destroy this one single building.
    Little G's design looks to far out of place. Especially seeing how that his head is twice the size of his old man's.

Things that are good about this film:
  • The battle in the asteroid belt is actually kinda cool, despite some less than stellar effects work.
    SpaceG's design is pretty cool as a slightly malformed Godzilla clone.
    I actually really like Heisei Moguera.
    Aside from few complaints about certain cues, I do really like Hattori's themes, especially for Moguera when it's first launch sequence and trying to take down the tower, and the Crystal theme that plays as Godzilla is leaving, before the end credits.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."