What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Major sssspielberg!
Yojimbo

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Gotta say it seems like everyone has good taste! I have to say MGII tied with 84 for the top spot, for sure. Vs King Ghidorah is up there too just because it's the perfect portayal of Godzilla's character.
Alex Jones: 30 years ago they began creating Houseplant-Godzilla-Japanese Girl hybrids. Isn't that the big story Megyn Kelly should be doing???

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Mon May 21, 2018 3:56 am

I think the first three films in the series all have their fair share of great things about them -- 84 is absolutely excellent tonally and stylistically, harkening back to the first film's serious tone and adding more than a dash of political conflict and paranoia; Biollante is on point emotionally (although the music is oft questionable and there's a certain lack of focus) and arguably features the one best example of creature effects in the entire series; King Ghidorah is a load of fun going back to that 50s pulpiness filtered through a late 80s lens and a lovable super-confusing time travel element

from Mothra on the films seem to lose steam then die at the SpaceGodzilla point. Destroyah is a great high point emotional ending to the series
Last edited by Omegamorph on Mon May 21, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Keizer

Postby eabaker » Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 am

Omegamorph wrote:I think the first three films in the series all have their fair share of great things about them -- 84 is absolutely excellent tonally and stylistically, harkening back to the first film's serious tone and adding more than a dash of political conflict and paranoia; Biollante is on point emotionally (although the music is oft questionable and there's a certain lack of focus) and arguably features the one best example of creature effects in the entire series; King Ghidorah is a load of fun going back to that 50s pulpiness filtered through a late 80s lens and a lovable super-confusing time travel element

Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Thu May 24, 2018 2:54 pm

eabaker wrote:Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.

What would that be, specifically? Shindo's arc?

(There's a lot of bold stuff in it)

eabaker
Keizer

Postby eabaker » Thu May 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Omegamorph wrote:
eabaker wrote:Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.

The three-strip paralleling of Shindo/Godzilla/Japan('s economy) as monsters that emerged post-war.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
JXSDF Technician

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Fri May 25, 2018 1:03 am

eabaker wrote:
Omegamorph wrote:

The three-strip paralleling of Shindo/Godzilla/Japan('s economy) as monsters that emerged post-war.

I never thought of it like that... wow.
The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their '20s.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sat May 26, 2018 10:28 pm

I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Anyone notice how all of Godzilla’s Showa allies have appeared in a Mechagodzilla film? Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan and Mothra. Just a random, pointless observation.

Juno Beach, June 6, 1944 - D-Day

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Just woke up in a Denny's parking lot thanks to that stupid TK drinking game. They say I just staggered around shouting "Remember the Alamo" and "I'll get you for this Canuck". How I ended up like this when I just drank tea is still a mystery. Maybe I shouldn't age it in the fridge after all...
Anyway I'm gonna get some pre-frozen food. Peace out.

PitchBlackProgress
JXSDF Technician

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Sun May 27, 2018 3:10 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Anyone notice how all of Godzilla’s Showa allies have appeared in a Mechagodzilla film? Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan and Mothra. Just a random, pointless observation.

Muh boi Jet Jaguar never appeared in one so your statement is false.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their '20s.

Zarm
EDF Soldier

Postby Zarm » Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 am

Although they've all appeared in a Gigan film...
Check out my crowdfunding campaign to get Zone Fighter translated- running the next few weeks only!

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun May 27, 2018 3:26 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Muh boi Jet Jaguar never appeared in one so your statement is false.

You got me. Time for the big comeback, Toho!!

Juno Beach, June 6, 1944 - D-Day

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Just woke up in a Denny's parking lot thanks to that stupid TK drinking game. They say I just staggered around shouting "Remember the Alamo" and "I'll get you for this Canuck". How I ended up like this when I just drank tea is still a mystery. Maybe I shouldn't age it in the fridge after all...
Anyway I'm gonna get some pre-frozen food. Peace out.

Extreme Warhawk
Ronin

Postby Extreme Warhawk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Godzilla Vs Biollante hands down

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Postby jackzilla » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:54 am

Godzilla vs Desotroyah for sure. Sorry person above, but GVB is my least favorite :freak:
LONG LIVE THE KING

GojiDog
Samurai

Postby GojiDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:46 am

The three that come to mind for me are Godzilla Vs. Biollante, Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah, and Godzilla Vs. Destroyah.

For Biollante, I just love how they managed to cram so much into it and yet the movie is still coherent and flows well. I mean espionage, assassins, fictional countries, psychics, eco-terrorists, genetic mutations, and a ton of wacky sci-fi weaponry to fight Godzilla. This movie really shouldn't work as well as it does, but it is immensely entertaining and it kind of set the tone for the Heisei series "comic book" style that would carry to the end. Also, Biollante is one of the most amazing kaiju ever put on film, and a true achievement of practical special effects for me. I mean I was stunned that this hulking thing could move across the stage, but they did it. It is just great stuff all around. And finally, IMO, Godzilla has never looked better than in this film. When I think of Godzilla, that's the image I have.

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah is the definitive "Sci-Fi" Godzilla film, at least to me. It utilizes time travel, UFOs, cyborgs, and all sorts of craziness, giving it a very different feel from the rest of the series. The real appeal of it though are the monsters and their development. To use wrestling terminology, there are more monster "heel" and "face" turns than any other movie in the series, and it all works. We actually get to see Godzilla become the "hero" again, only for that plan to blow up in Japan's face, and then we get a Ghidorah face turn (albeit as a soulless cyborg). The real highlight for me though is Mr. Shindo and his relationship to Godzilla, which resulted in what might be my favorite moment in the entire Godzilla franchise. I could interpret that scene at least 5 different ways, and they all work.

And then we have Godzilla Vs. Destroyah, which I always liked because it served as a nice bookend to the 1954 original. They brought back the Yamane family, had a creature born out of the Oxygen Destroyer (officially confirming Serasawa's fears of using the thing in the first place), and of course, Godzilla dies in the end. Destroyah proved to be an awesome foe with all these great designs for each form (Heisei Hedorah, sorta kinda?) and I love the whole idea of Godzilla basically being a giant bomb waiting to go off. It gave the film a sense of urgency and stakes that helped it to rise above many other entries. And yeah, Godzilla's death scene was beautifully done (would have preferred no dialogue from the actors, but hey).

Picking a favorite from those three is very tough as I think all of them are great.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”