What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
User avatar
Major sssspielberg!
Samurai
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Gotta say it seems like everyone has good taste! I have to say MGII tied with 84 for the top spot, for sure. Vs King Ghidorah is up there too just because it's the perfect portayal of Godzilla's character.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.


:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

User avatar
Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Omegamorph » Mon May 21, 2018 3:56 am

I think the first three films in the series all have their fair share of great things about them -- 84 is absolutely excellent tonally and stylistically, harkening back to the first film's serious tone and adding more than a dash of political conflict and paranoia; Biollante is on point emotionally (although the music is oft questionable and there's a certain lack of focus) and arguably features the one best example of creature effects in the entire series; King Ghidorah is a load of fun going back to that 50s pulpiness filtered through a late 80s lens and a lovable super-confusing time travel element

from Mothra on the films seem to lose steam then die at the SpaceGodzilla point. Destroyah is a great high point emotional ending to the series
Last edited by Omegamorph on Mon May 21, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10562
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby eabaker » Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 am

Omegamorph wrote:I think the first three films in the series all have their fair share of great things about them -- 84 is absolutely excellent tonally and stylistically, harkening back to the first film's serious tone and adding more than a dash of political conflict and paranoia; Biollante is on point emotionally (although the music is oft questionable and there's a certain lack of focus) and arguably features the one best example of creature effects in the entire series; King Ghidorah is a load of fun going back to that 50s pulpiness filtered through a late 80s lens and a lovable super-confusing time travel element


Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Omegamorph » Thu May 24, 2018 2:54 pm

eabaker wrote:Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.

What would that be, specifically? Shindo's arc?

(There's a lot of bold stuff in it)

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10562
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby eabaker » Thu May 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Omegamorph wrote:
eabaker wrote:Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.

What would that be, specifically? Shindo's arc?

(There's a lot of bold stuff in it)


The three-strip paralleling of Shindo/Godzilla/Japan('s economy) as monsters that emerged post-war.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Fri May 25, 2018 1:03 am

eabaker wrote:
Omegamorph wrote:
eabaker wrote:Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.

What would that be, specifically? Shindo's arc?

(There's a lot of bold stuff in it)


The three-strip paralleling of Shindo/Godzilla/Japan('s economy) as monsters that emerged post-war.

I never thought of it like that... wow.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sat May 26, 2018 10:28 pm

I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Anyone notice how all of Godzilla’s Showa allies have appeared in a Mechagodzilla film? Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan and Mothra. Just a random, pointless observation.
Image

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Sun May 27, 2018 3:10 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Anyone notice how all of Godzilla’s Showa allies have appeared in a Mechagodzilla film? Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan and Mothra. Just a random, pointless observation.

Muh boi Jet Jaguar never appeared in one so your statement is false.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4745
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Zarm » Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 am

Although they've all appeared in a Gigan film...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun May 27, 2018 3:26 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Anyone notice how all of Godzilla’s Showa allies have appeared in a Mechagodzilla film? Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan and Mothra. Just a random, pointless observation.

Muh boi Jet Jaguar never appeared in one so your statement is false.


You got me. Time for the big comeback, Toho!!
Image

User avatar
Extreme Warhawk
Ronin
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 pm
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Extreme Warhawk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Godzilla Vs Biollante hands down
Image

Image

User avatar
jackzilla
Interpol Agent
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:23 am
Contact:

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby jackzilla » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:54 am

Godzilla vs Desotroyah for sure. Sorry person above, but GVB is my least favorite :freak:
LONG LIVE THE KING

GojiDog
Interpol Agent
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby GojiDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:46 am

The three that come to mind for me are Godzilla Vs. Biollante, Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah, and Godzilla Vs. Destroyah.

For Biollante, I just love how they managed to cram so much into it and yet the movie is still coherent and flows well. I mean espionage, assassins, fictional countries, psychics, eco-terrorists, genetic mutations, and a ton of wacky sci-fi weaponry to fight Godzilla. This movie really shouldn't work as well as it does, but it is immensely entertaining and it kind of set the tone for the Heisei series "comic book" style that would carry to the end. Also, Biollante is one of the most amazing kaiju ever put on film, and a true achievement of practical special effects for me. I mean I was stunned that this hulking thing could move across the stage, but they did it. It is just great stuff all around. And finally, IMO, Godzilla has never looked better than in this film. When I think of Godzilla, that's the image I have.

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah is the definitive "Sci-Fi" Godzilla film, at least to me. It utilizes time travel, UFOs, cyborgs, and all sorts of craziness, giving it a very different feel from the rest of the series. The real appeal of it though are the monsters and their development. To use wrestling terminology, there are more monster "heel" and "face" turns than any other movie in the series, and it all works. We actually get to see Godzilla become the "hero" again, only for that plan to blow up in Japan's face, and then we get a Ghidorah face turn (albeit as a soulless cyborg). The real highlight for me though is Mr. Shindo and his relationship to Godzilla, which resulted in what might be my favorite moment in the entire Godzilla franchise. I could interpret that scene at least 5 different ways, and they all work.

And then we have Godzilla Vs. Destroyah, which I always liked because it served as a nice bookend to the 1954 original. They brought back the Yamane family, had a creature born out of the Oxygen Destroyer (officially confirming Serasawa's fears of using the thing in the first place), and of course, Godzilla dies in the end. Destroyah proved to be an awesome foe with all these great designs for each form (Heisei Hedorah, sorta kinda?) and I love the whole idea of Godzilla basically being a giant bomb waiting to go off. It gave the film a sense of urgency and stakes that helped it to rise above many other entries. And yeah, Godzilla's death scene was beautifully done (would have preferred no dialogue from the actors, but hey).

Picking a favorite from those three is very tough as I think all of them are great.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Godzilla 1985- The dub using the Def Con 4 tracks of course, the dub on the Kraken DVD is just as atrocious as the rest of the Heisei dubs.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Gojira-Fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 am

Godzilla vs. Biollante

I feel like this is one that really took risks and tried to be grandiose (whether not if it is successful is up for debate). However, this film tried new ideas and one of my biggest criticisms of the Hesei era is that the films were generally too safe to maximize box office profits. You can't lobby that criticism on this one. It's quite unlike a lot of the series and the plot is a roller-coaster ride of corporate espionage, psychics, genetic engineering, souls and awesome action sequences with the kaiju. And there has never been a plant daikaiju before so it is really unique. Biollante is such an impressive effect. She truly is worthy of awe. The final fight between Godzilla and Biollante may be short but it sure packs a punch and doesn't feel too long in a film stuffed with action.

Definitely not only my favorite in the Hesei series, but also one of the best in the entire series imo.

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Gojira18 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:53 am

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. Easily.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Postby Grievous » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 am

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla...followed closely by Godzilla vs. Biollante.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!


Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest