What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:I feel like Kuroki gets overlooked in most discussions about interesting characters from the Godzilla series, but I find him really likable and unique. Definitely a favorite of mine.
I agree; but while we're on the subject, what's up with vs. Destroyah's (apparent) choice to bring him back as fan-service, but then never name him (that I could tell) and recasting him, so he wasn't even recognizable by appearance? I mean, I get that it's his brother in real life, but I wouldn't just make a new Disney sci-fi film, stick Beau Bridges in for a cameo, and expect people to know that he's supposed to be Kevin Flynn from TRON. :)
What always struck me as especially odd about that was that, as they also made the character a pilot, it would have made more sense to simply have Masahiro Takashima reprise his role as Aoki from GvsMGII (although Oomori didn't write that one, so I guess that could have been a factor).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I'm pretty sure the role was re-cast because the original actor wasn't available. I think having Aoki pilot the Super X3 would've been a better idea, but the character is minor enough that it's not a huge deal.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GigaGoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by GigaGoji »

I wouldn't say I really hate or dislike any of the Heisei films. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses and there are some I would rate above others, but I find enjoyment out of mostly all of them.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GigaGoji wrote:I wouldn't say I really hate or dislike any of the Heisei films. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses and there are some I would rate above others, but I find enjoyment out of mostly all of them.
This is my stance not just on the Heisei films but the franchise as a whole. Long gone are the days where I'd have a handful of films I used to hate with a burning passion.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Biollante. In the grand scheme it’s probably a little overrated, with a cheesy spiritual plot and kind of a weak climax, but I absolutely adore its brooding, overcast atmosphere. You can practically smell this twisted creature through your screen. Also the soundtrack gets too much hate. I actually like it.
Last edited by LockBite on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote:a cheesy spiritual plot
Curious, do you consider the spiritual stuff inherently cheesy, or is there something specific about the way that it's handled that you consider makes it cheesy in this instance?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

eabaker wrote:
Curious, do you consider the spiritual stuff inherently cheesy, or is there something specific about the way that it's handled that you consider makes it cheesy in this instance?
A little bit of both. The idea that his daughter’s soul is trapped in this monster is weirdly far into fantasy territory even for Godzilla. But then you had it compounded by that ending, where a giant apparition of her portrait floats into the sky. That was really bad.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Godzilla 1985
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote:
eabaker wrote:
A little bit of both. The idea that his daughter’s soul is trapped in this monster is weirdly far into fantasy territory even for Godzilla. But then you had it compounded by that ending, where a giant apparition of her portrait floats into the sky. That was really bad.
I always liked the spiritual aspect and considered it an interesting thing to play with (and I don't see how it's any more far out than something like King Caesar), but, yes, that floating Erica portrait moment does not land (although it's more forgivable if you think of it as a representation of Shiragami's emotions, rather than as a literal apparition).

G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Post by G.Escanor »

I love the entire Heisei series, but i always have problems choosing between Godzilla vs Destoroyah or Godzilla vs King Ghidorah for my more favorite out of the series. The other films also are not that far behind in my mind.
ShinEscanor156

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

Return Of Godzilla. The movie that started it all for me and still my favorite.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Godzilla 1985 then in following Order- SpaceGodzilla; King Ghidorah; Mothra MechaGodzilla Biollante and Destroyah
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

In order:

Mechagodzilla II
Destroyah
Return of Godzilla
Biollante
Spacegodzilla
King Ghidorah
Mothra II

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Godzilla vs Destoroyah is my personal favorite, while the movie does have its problem i still vividly remember seeing it for the first time during my childhood and it really left an mark on me

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Thanos6
Samurai

Post by Thanos6 »

G '85 and MGII, tied.

90sGojiRocks
Young Farmer

Post by 90sGojiRocks »

Darn this is a hard one, considering I like majority of the Heisei era already lol

I have to say though, Godzilla v King Ghidorah is my top favorite out of them all.

I can remember watching this film when I was a little kid and was always amazed by the special effects (what kid wouldn't be?), though as I've gotten older I've come to seriously appreciate the music pieces, actors and plot.

At the time being these special effects were considered extraordinary, though as time moved along and special effects progressed, they're now deemed old by today's standards. While on some levels I can most definitely see that the effects are out dated (scenes including the smaller ship such as when it flies out of the water, the holograms, etc.) I'm still wowed by the suit acting and other effects such as King Ghidorah's head flying off and of course the miniatures.

The music pieces are as expected with a Godzilla film, though the opening title track is my absolute favorite. I'm absolutely in love with it.

The actors in this film are finally re-memorable! Not only do we not forget a majority of their names and refer to them as "that weird girl", they're also quite fun and have depth. A great example of this is Wilson. He could have just come from the future and been like "Surprise I'm here to blow crap up" but instead he disguises this as a 'helping hand' to Japan, wanting to 'save' them from destruction in the future. Ami is also another re-memorable role. She isn't one sided at all, in fact I believe she comes from being one sided to being quite dynamic. She wishes to save her home land, no matter the cost. Hell she even fights Godzilla for the sake of Japan!

Finally, the plot involves time travel in a sense that isn't ridiculous. I mean sure it's wacky but it isn't too out of this world. I thoroughly enjoy the plot as, while it can be confusing at times, overall flows nicely.
"I guarantee it'll go through Godzilla like crap through a goose."

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah

As a great man once said it actually has a better plot than any movie that has ever won an Oscar.

Gojira311999
Ronin

Post by Gojira311999 »

Return of Gojira, 1984. Japanese cut, of course, Best Heisei film hands down. The symbolism was on point. The design wasn't bad, but did look clunky from certain shots. The special effects were the best of the Heisei era. The characters were nothing special, but nothing too cringe inducing like other films in the Gojira franchise *cough* Miki the exposition physic girl *cough*. The tone was well set and the soundtrack is criminally underrated. The political aspect was well done. This film had a sense of scale and realism by bringing in the two big super powers into play during the Cold War: USSR and USA. The moment where the Russian ship accidentally fired off a ICBM was well done and Gojira back, showing how Japan was in harmony, but the Cold War placed them in an uncertain situation. Way better than the other Heisei films which all focused on interesting plots, but had more of the cheesy garbage that I hate seeing in what started off a dark franchise. This film had a cheesy moment or two, specifically the train scene where the druggy looks at Gojira weird or the homeless man in the hotel, but it's not near as distracting as Miki, one of the worst characters in the whole Gojira franchise. I like the other Heisei films for there worth (Besides Godzilla vs Mothra and Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla)
Heisei era ranked for me:
1) Return of Godzilla, 1984
2) Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
3) Godzilla vs Biollante
4) Godzilla vs Destoroyah
5) Godzilla vs MGII
6) Godzilla vs Space Godzilla
7) Godzilla vs Mothra
Last edited by Gojira311999 on Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:
I always liked the spiritual aspect and considered it an interesting thing to play with (and I don't see how it's any more far out than something like King Caesar), but, yes, that floating Erica portrait moment does not land (although it's more forgivable if you think of it as a representation of Shiragami's emotions, rather than as a literal apparition).
I always chalked that up to we the viewer see her but no one else does.