What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gotta say it seems like everyone has good taste! I have to say MGII tied with 84 for the top spot, for sure. Vs King Ghidorah is up there too just because it's the perfect portayal of Godzilla's character.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

I think the first three films in the series all have their fair share of great things about them -- 84 is absolutely excellent tonally and stylistically, harkening back to the first film's serious tone and adding more than a dash of political conflict and paranoia; Biollante is on point emotionally (although the music is oft questionable and there's a certain lack of focus) and arguably features the one best example of creature effects in the entire series; King Ghidorah is a load of fun going back to that 50s pulpiness filtered through a late 80s lens and a lovable super-confusing time travel element

from Mothra on the films seem to lose steam then die at the SpaceGodzilla point. Destroyah is a great high point emotional ending to the series
Last edited by Omegamorph on Mon May 21, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Omegamorph wrote:I think the first three films in the series all have their fair share of great things about them -- 84 is absolutely excellent tonally and stylistically, harkening back to the first film's serious tone and adding more than a dash of political conflict and paranoia; Biollante is on point emotionally (although the music is oft questionable and there's a certain lack of focus) and arguably features the one best example of creature effects in the entire series; King Ghidorah is a load of fun going back to that 50s pulpiness filtered through a late 80s lens and a lovable super-confusing time travel element
Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

eabaker wrote: Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.
What would that be, specifically? Shindo's arc?

(There's a lot of bold stuff in it)
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Omegamorph wrote:
eabaker wrote: Only thing I'd add to that is that King Ghidorah offers one of the boldest thematic conceits that series had seen up to that time, which wouldn't be until a decade later in GMK.

The three-strip paralleling of Shindo/Godzilla/Japan('s economy) as monsters that emerged post-war.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:
Omegamorph wrote:

The three-strip paralleling of Shindo/Godzilla/Japan('s economy) as monsters that emerged post-war.
I never thought of it like that... wow.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Anyone notice how all of Godzilla’s Showa allies have appeared in a Mechagodzilla film? Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan and Mothra. Just a random, pointless observation.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Anyone notice how all of Godzilla’s Showa allies have appeared in a Mechagodzilla film? Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan and Mothra. Just a random, pointless observation.
Muh boi Jet Jaguar never appeared in one so your statement is false.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Although they've all appeared in a Gigan film...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m going to say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It’s just a really fun movie.

Muh boi Jet Jaguar never appeared in one so your statement is false.
You got me. Time for the big comeback, Toho!!

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

Post by Extreme Warhawk »

Godzilla Vs Biollante hands down

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

Godzilla vs Desotroyah for sure. Sorry person above, but GVB is my least favorite :freak:
LONG LIVE THE KING

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The three that come to mind for me are Godzilla Vs. Biollante, Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah, and Godzilla Vs. Destroyah.

For Biollante, I just love how they managed to cram so much into it and yet the movie is still coherent and flows well. I mean espionage, assassins, fictional countries, psychics, eco-terrorists, genetic mutations, and a ton of wacky sci-fi weaponry to fight Godzilla. This movie really shouldn't work as well as it does, but it is immensely entertaining and it kind of set the tone for the Heisei series "comic book" style that would carry to the end. Also, Biollante is one of the most amazing kaiju ever put on film, and a true achievement of practical special effects for me. I mean I was stunned that this hulking thing could move across the stage, but they did it. It is just great stuff all around. And finally, IMO, Godzilla has never looked better than in this film. When I think of Godzilla, that's the image I have.

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah is the definitive "Sci-Fi" Godzilla film, at least to me. It utilizes time travel, UFOs, cyborgs, and all sorts of craziness, giving it a very different feel from the rest of the series. The real appeal of it though are the monsters and their development. To use wrestling terminology, there are more monster "heel" and "face" turns than any other movie in the series, and it all works. We actually get to see Godzilla become the "hero" again, only for that plan to blow up in Japan's face, and then we get a Ghidorah face turn (albeit as a soulless cyborg). The real highlight for me though is Mr. Shindo and his relationship to Godzilla, which resulted in what might be my favorite moment in the entire Godzilla franchise. I could interpret that scene at least 5 different ways, and they all work.

And then we have Godzilla Vs. Destroyah, which I always liked because it served as a nice bookend to the 1954 original. They brought back the Yamane family, had a creature born out of the Oxygen Destroyer (officially confirming Serasawa's fears of using the thing in the first place), and of course, Godzilla dies in the end. Destroyah proved to be an awesome foe with all these great designs for each form (Heisei Hedorah, sorta kinda?) and I love the whole idea of Godzilla basically being a giant bomb waiting to go off. It gave the film a sense of urgency and stakes that helped it to rise above many other entries. And yeah, Godzilla's death scene was beautifully done (would have preferred no dialogue from the actors, but hey).

Picking a favorite from those three is very tough as I think all of them are great.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Godzilla 1985- The dub using the Def Con 4 tracks of course, the dub on the Kraken DVD is just as atrocious as the rest of the Heisei dubs.
#slatternking

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Godzilla vs. Biollante

I feel like this is one that really took risks and tried to be grandiose (whether not if it is successful is up for debate). However, this film tried new ideas and one of my biggest criticisms of the Hesei era is that the films were generally too safe to maximize box office profits. You can't lobby that criticism on this one. It's quite unlike a lot of the series and the plot is a roller-coaster ride of corporate espionage, psychics, genetic engineering, souls and awesome action sequences with the kaiju. And there has never been a plant daikaiju before so it is really unique. Biollante is such an impressive effect. She truly is worthy of awe. The final fight between Godzilla and Biollante may be short but it sure packs a punch and doesn't feel too long in a film stuffed with action.

Definitely not only my favorite in the Hesei series, but also one of the best in the entire series imo.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. Easily.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla...followed closely by Godzilla vs. Biollante.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!