What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Return of Godzilla would be my favorite. Also the only Heisei film I'd put in my top five. Biollante is also a pretty cool film, too.

JZilla
Young Farmer

Post by JZilla »

Gotta go with Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. Good soundtrack and awesome fights.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Godzilla 1985 THEN Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla :D
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

Godzilla vs Biollante. Pretty much the best film of that series. Heck, it's the second best film of this franchise.
Last edited by Kenpachiro Hirata on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

GigaGoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by GigaGoji »

Vs. Biollante. To be honest, I really like the first three films in the Heisei series.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GigaGoji wrote:Vs. Biollante. To be honest, I really like the first three films in the Heisei series.
Yeah, to me the Heisei era has an extremely strong start with those first three flicks - all strong enough that playing favorites among them can feel a little arbitrary to me - but never matches those highs again.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GigaGoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by GigaGoji »

eabaker wrote:
GigaGoji wrote:Vs. Biollante. To be honest, I really like the first three films in the Heisei series.
Yeah, to me the Heisei era has an extremely strong start with those first three flicks - all strong enough that playing favorites among them can feel a little arbitrary to me - but never matches those highs again.
On that note, do you think the time difference between RoG to Biollante and Biollante to King Ghidorah help improve the quality of those three films, compared to the later Heisei entries when a film was released once ever year?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GigaGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
On that note, do you think the time difference between RoG to Biollante and Biollante to King Ghidorah help improve the quality of those three films, compared to the later Heisei entries when a film was released once ever year?
Without a doubt. In filmmaking, time is invaluable.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Godzilla 1985 then in this order SpaceGodzilla and last Mothra
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Nevermind the Heisei era. G85 is one of my favorite of the entire franchise. Interestingly enough I really don’t care for the rest of the Heisei era. I do prefer the 85 cut to the original. While there were some plot points that I felt were unnecessarily cut the added soundtrack and Raymond Burr just make the film for me.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Godzilla VS Biollante was probably the best of this era, with Godzilla 85 close behind. It's a shame the last few films of this era couldn't measure up to the first two (debatably three).
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

Godzilla vs Biollante
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
Godzilla 1985 (edit makes it just different enough, breaks immersion though)
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla and Mothra Battle for the Earth
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla (just does not hold up... the asteroids as SPACE POTATOES)
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I am like the only one in this topic who likes godzilla vs spacegodzilla
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I like it, it's just not my favorite. I'd probably rank it second, actually (mostly because I have a lower estimation of RoG, vs. KG, and vs. D than most people!). It's got a lot of visual flare, even though the script and pacing could use tightening.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's on the lower side for me for the Heisei series, but I still like Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

But it is my favorite godzilla movie of all time
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Okay, but other people have other opinions?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzilla vs Biollante. My biggest grievances with it would be some amateurish sound mixing, a few odd choices in music that severely undermine a couple of scenes, and Bio-Major's presence after the first act. Wouldn't Godzilla have broken free without the explosives? Otherwise it has a beautifully haunting score, some of the best special effects of the series, the tightest script of its era, and Miki was never remotely better than her efforts here. The inexperienced major and miscalculating Godzilla's intentions was a nice touch. Also, Gondo was pure joy without going overboard.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:The inexperienced major and miscalculating Godzilla's intentions was a nice touch.
I feel like Kuroki gets overlooked in most discussions about interesting characters from the Godzilla series, but I find him really likable and unique. Definitely a favorite of mine.

I think the strength of this as an ensemble movie makes up a lot for what a bland protagonist Kirishima is. Each of them really plays an important role in driving the story.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

kamilleblu wrote:Godzilla vs Biollante. My biggest grievances with it would be some amateurish sound mixing, a few odd choices in music that severely undermine a couple of scenes, and Bio-Major's presence after the first act. Wouldn't Godzilla have broken free without the explosives? Otherwise it has a beautifully haunting score, some of the best special effects of the series, the tightest script of its era, and Miki was never remotely better than her efforts here. The inexperienced major and miscalculating Godzilla's intentions was a nice touch. Also, Gondo was pure joy without going overboard.
Agreed! And I suspect most of the music choices were probably due to the score-written-beforehand-and-tracked-in nature of things. It definitely results in some not-at-all-smooth cuts and the like...

eabaker wrote:I feel like Kuroki gets overlooked in most discussions about interesting characters from the Godzilla series, but I find him really likable and unique. Definitely a favorite of mine.
I agree; but while we're on the subject, what's up with vs. Destroyah's (apparent) choice to bring him back as fan-service, but then never name him (that I could tell) and recasting him, so he wasn't even recognizable by appearance? I mean, I get that it's his brother in real life, but I wouldn't just make a new Disney sci-fi film, stick Beau Bridges in for a cameo, and expect people to know that he's supposed to be Kevin Flynn from TRON. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!