What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hm- a tie between GvKG, GVMG, and GvSG( I actually like this film). GvD is good too, but a little too sad to be my favorite. If I had to choose it would be GvKG since its in my Top 10. All soundtracks are absolutely fantastic as usual with a Godzilla film. The 80s were good too.

Any of them are better than Godzilla vs Mothra .
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gotta go with King Ghidorah. It was the first Godzilla movie I owned on VHS and it's always held a special place in my heart.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Godzilla vs. Biollante.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is the one I can just watch over and over. The story is good, the baby Godzilla suit is impressive and the entire third act is just epic. Honourable mention to Return of Godzilla though, Godzilla 1985 was one of the first Japanese Godzilla films I ever saw, and to this day that suit is the definitive look of Godzilla in my mind.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

Godzilla vs Biollante

It really got me into Godzilla as a kid, and that Godzilla design is classic.

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Godzilla Vs Biollante is my favorite, followed closely by Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah. The rest all have too many issues for me to enjoy them.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2, mostly for the ungodly amount of firepower the Heisei Mecha G has.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

eabaker wrote:I love how much appreciation Biollante gets in threads like this. I remember back in the 90s that it was almost the forgotten Godzilla movie among fans, not being discussed nearly as often in conversations or articles as the other Heisei flicks. It's like it was written off as a tonal and stylistic dead-end, with the course set right by King Ghidorah.

Don't get me wrong, GvsKG is also very high among my favorites, but if I could only take one of the two to the desert island with me, it would have to be Biollante.
Biollante was a big letdown for Toho. Its disappointing box office was a huge reason why the era ended up becoming so stale. People bitch and clamour about wanting new and different things in cinema and when they get that the films almost always bomb. That's why Hollywood is in the state its in today.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Biollante was a big letdown for Toho. Its disappointing box office was a huge reason why the era ended up becoming so stale. People bitch and clamour about wanting new and different things in cinema and when they get that the films almost always bomb. That's why Hollywood is in the state its in today.
Here, here. Almost every time I see something new and exciting (or just plain fun- not silly or juvenile, but a good old fashioned adventure) in the theater, my wife and I will look at each other leaving the theater and say 'That was great, and so refreshing a break from the norm... I'll bet it's doing terrible.' And sure enough, we'll look up the box office, and it is. While if it was just kinda okay, or even well-done but something we've seen a hundred times before, then it'll be the box office champ of the month.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Godzilla 1985: The Legend Reborn, undoubtedly. English version, of course. Love the soundtrack, and the Godzilla suit is my favorite from the era, especially love those curling lips when he roared.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

My favorite Heisei film, and my favorite Godzilla film in general, has always been Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. I'm not sure exactly what has allowed it to remain my favorite film for so many years, but it just feels like the complete Godzilla package to me. There's plenty of monster action, and the monsters have some surprising character and motivation. It's this film that really makes you start sympathizing with Godzilla (vs. King Ghidorah had hints of this, but this film completes it) and it actually creates a conflict in the mind of the viewer. Are we supposed to root for Mechagodzilla, since it's what's defending humanity, or should we root for Godzilla, because he's only trying to find companionship with another member of his kind? The film starts out orienting the audience on the side of G-Force, but by the end we're all supposed to be satisfied that Godzilla has triumphed. Lots of people say this is a flaw with the film, but I think it's one of its strongest and most unique aspects.

The movie is obviously flawed, but I believe the positives overshadow these flaws. Sure the film relies on the beam battles the Heisei series is infamous for, but it makes sense in this case. Mechagodzilla's gimmick is his staggering array of weaponry, and this film gives Kawakita the chance to update it. Mechagodzilla's new design looks cold, blank and lifeless, but I think that's the point. He's a machine, a weapon that exists only for killing, while Godzilla, Rodan and Baby are living breathing creatures with feelings of their own. Baby Godzilla is an incredibly well-designed and executed monster, and his relationship with Azusa is very touching and the scene where they have to part ways at the end is one of the most emotional moments in the series. I like Rodan's new design as well, but I can't ignore the stiffness of the prop used to portray him. Special mention also needs to go to Akira Ifukube's fantastic score for the film. The main title is one of the most epic opening pieces I've ever heard in a film, Rodan's theme finally returns, Godzilla's theme from Mothra vs. Godzilla is used to underscore him one again, and Baby Godzilla's theme is both beautiful and sad. The song "From Miki to Baby" is also a fairly haunting and beautiful piece, and the version used in the end credits is the perfect closing track for the film.

Sorry, I realize that reply was pretty long and rambling, but that's just why I've always held Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II as my favorite film in the series. It's not perfect by any stretch, nor do I think it's objectively one of the best films in the series, it's just my personal favorite and has managed to hold up in my view for many years. Behind it I'd probably say Godzilla vs. Biollante is my next favorite Heisei film.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

GODZILLA 1998, nothing compares
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

Definitely going to have to parrot the popular opinion of Godzilla v. Biollante and Godzilla v. Destoroyah, def two of my favorite kaiju and in my perspective two of the more creative. Cant leave without giving some love to Godzilla v. King Ghidora since Mecha-King Ghidora is probably my favorite villain of all time.
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is the one I can just watch over and over. The story is good, the baby Godzilla suit is impressive and the entire third act is just epic. Honourable mention to Return of Godzilla though, Godzilla 1985 was one of the first Japanese Godzilla films I ever saw, and to this day that suit is the definitive look of Godzilla in my mind.
Isn’t G85 the American version of G84?

As for my favourite Heisei film, I honestly can’t say. But it definitely isn’t Godzilla VS Mothra.
Last edited by Cybermat47 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Have to say Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. Was the first Godzilla film I ever saw, and I've loved it ever since.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cybermat47 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is the one I can just watch over and over. The story is good, the baby Godzilla suit is impressive and the entire third act is just epic. Honourable mention to Return of Godzilla though, Godzilla 1985 was one of the first Japanese Godzilla films I ever saw, and to this day that suit is the definitive look of Godzilla in my mind.
Yes, but it was still a Japanese movie in origin. I assume he means that as opposed to G'98, which was entirely an American production.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
Yes, but it was still a Japanese movie in origin. I assume he means that as opposed to G'98, which was entirely an American production.
Yes. I say Return of Godzilla to mean the original
film and the version I'm more likely to watch now, but Godzilla 1985 to mean the version I saw first. Even with the edits, I wouldn't consider it an American film, and even if it is, it still contains the Japanese Godzilla.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

No contest: Godzilla vs Destoroyah. My second favorite G-film overall (1st place is Ebirah Horror of the Deep), much less just in the Heisei era.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587