Monster Discussion #40: Godzilla Jr

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Monster Discussion #40: Godzilla Jr

Post by gzillafan17 »

Appearances: Godzilla vs Destroyah

Do you Like him or do you not?

What are your opinions of him?
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Monster Discussion #40: Godzilla Jr

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I've always liked Godzilla Jr. His design is definitely a good "teenage" Godzilla design, and it's a good last portion of the miniature saga developed over the last three Heisei movies.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Yeah, really like him and his fight he had was pretty cool. Much more Godzilla like than Minya. When he died, it was really sad, especially after watching him grow up throughout the movies.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Jr's fight with destroyer was actually better than godzilla's, in my opinion. Never was a fan of the offspring concept as I feel godzilla works best as a last-of-his-kind type of thing, but I'm a-okay with junior.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Junior is a pretty cool kaiju. He's a good teenage Godzilla as GodzillavsRayquaza stated. It's also pretty cool to see him grow up throughout Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla and Godzilla vs. Destroyah. Gives the Heisei series more of a sense of continuity.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla Jr. is the best of the offspring's forms. It's a perfect miniature version of Godzilla, and it has some muscle in battle. The battle with Destroyah proved it was worthy of respect. Godzilla Jr. also gave the film some emotional punch with his temporary death.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Godzilla Jr. is definitely my favorite of the Godzilla offspring designs, and I always loved the way they made him look like Godzilla merged with a dinosaur. I wish later suits had expanded on that sometimes.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

The best of Godzilla's children by a country mile. I felt his "Little Godzilla" form was way too cutsey and not as good of natural progression as Baby & his full Jr. forms were but beyond that no complaints. He developed pretty well over the Heisei films and his fight with Destoroyah was awesome; the fact he was able to win it to flex a little is more than enough to give him props.