Monster Discussion: Iris/Irys

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Monster Discussion: Iris/Irys

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Probably without a doubt my favorite Gamera foe. I just love the lovecraftian horror like design Iris/Irys possesses and the mysteries of his origins as they're all just speculation and possible connection to Atlantis he might have.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion: Iris/Irys

Post by Ivo-goji »

I like that Gamera's greatest foe is a giant snail.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Hands down one of my favorite kaiju and villains. And one of the best designs I've seen in a movie in general.
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Agreed. Fantastic design, fantastic villain, fantastic coup-de-grace for the finale. One of the most unique kaiju designs I've ever seen.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I like the feet.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's design is unusual and elegant, but it's a memorable foe for Gamera. Irys was the perfect way to the trilogy, being a powerful foil for the heroic turtle.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Irys might be my favorite Kaiju from the Gamera franchise, and that's really saying something. I love the otherworldly design it has, that combined with an interesting set of powers makes it an amazing Kaiju that makes for a perfect final obstacle for Gamera.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

I love the Gamera Trilogy films and this villian IS the best of the 3. What I would have liked to see is a bit more darkness even though we do get to see some. We don't really get to see Iris go on a rampage before Gamera has to deal with it.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Irys was a really imposing villain. His Lovecraftian design, his enigmatic story, his ethereal, droning roar, the way he devours the life essence of humans and his epic battle with Gamera make him a very memorable kaiju.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The only monster in the entire Godzilla/Gamera franchise to have a visible penis

Enjoy that discussion kids
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I like that, even though it's hinted to be related to Gyaos, it isn't just a recolored variant of the species but rather something with some similarities while being completely unique.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Dino-Mario wrote:his ethereal, droning roar.
I love his roar, it sounds so haunting and eerie.
Resized Image

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Iris definitely wins the award for having the most original, unique looking kaiju design, which is a standard trope in the Gamera series. While it may not necessarily be my favorite, it's still a visual effect triumph; my respect goes to the visual effects crew for pulling it off. Iris really looks like he belongs more in an Anime series. Speaking of which, it's not often you see something clearly Anime inspired make that successful cinematic transition.

As a character, Iris is, well, confounding. I love how he's a mutated Gyaos and, as it's implied by the film and some of its characters, a demon in disguise. I greatly enjoyed how it was left a little ambiguous as to whether or not Iris was the one pulling Ayana's strings, or if it Ayana was the one coercing Iris. It was likely a combination of the two, because both were damaged characters. Iris was a positively dangerous beastie in his own right, especially when he drained people of their precious bodily fluids. Dry, sunken corpses is never a fun thing to see.

His dogfight with Gamera was one for the books. It's still riveting to watch! The final battle was great, too. If only Iris wasn't such a dunce. I know, it's not his fault; it's the screenwriter's. But still.

All in all, I'll always remember the scene of Iris striking a pose in front of the Full Moon. It perfectly exemplifies what I think makes Iris a great monster. He's not a beautiful creature to look at by any means, but you still can't take your eyes off him. Iris is definitely one of my favorite kaiju.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”