Monster Discussion: Moguera

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Monster Discussion: Moguera

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

My all time favorite mech. I really wish he would come back.

You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion: Moguera

Post by edgaguirus »

I guess I'll go first.

Moguera is an interesting design and the ability to seperate is quite useful. It's a good update for the Mysterian robot.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I just find it strange that he is referred to in the movie as 'the ultimate weapon against Godzilla.' Presumably, this is just hyperbole, since he doesn't seem to fare as well at it as numerous other robots. Then again, he doesn't really get a chance to fully dedicate himself to that task. And maybe they figured that since every time they seem to pierce Godzilla's skin- from the ANEB capsules to the telepathic transmitter- it's some sort of drill, a really BIG drill truly *would* be the ultimate Godzilla-killing weapon.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

A drill that will pierce the heavens.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Fyrstorm
Ronin

Post by Fyrstorm »

Moguera takes its place as my favorite Heisei Mecha, because-- despite some of the less-believable elements (how is it just floating there while separating?!) and less than perfect design choices (winner of the 1994 Thunder Thighs competition much?)-- it's just got a sort of charm to it that MKG and MGII lacked. That, and it was a pretty original design-- certainly when compared to the other two.

In the movie, my main gripe would be how fragile Moguera seemed-- when compared to the tank that was MGII, Moguera's kinda flimsy. Psychic EMP? Down for the count. Tail attack? Down for the count. On the plus side, Moguera gave us the second time Godzilla's teamed up with a Mech to take down foes from space-- that's kinda neat.
Just some nerd with a silly fascination for giant robots.
Rodan wrote:
Vatarian wrote: I'll send flowers
There are two things you don't know about flowers.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I used to really dislike this mech, but that was largely attributed to the Atari-Pipeworks games. Now he's slowly risen to one of my favorites. Awesome redesign of an older appearance, retaining just the right number of features to be a recognizable incarnation.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ares
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Ares »

Not a big fan. I think they should have done what they originally planned and kept Mecha Godzilla 2 around.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

I like Moguera, MechaG is cool and all but I feel Toho use him too often, so its nice to see a different giant robot fight Godzilla every once and a while, especially one that actually looks more like something the military would build to fight giant monsters (with MechaG you always have to justify why anyone would build a giant mechanical version of the king of the monsters in the first place lol). The original Moguera deserves recognition as Toho's first giant robot monster, and the 90s Moguera was a solid update of the original with lots of cool new weapons and abilities...I'd honestly like to see Moguera return with another upgraded design in the future.

P.S. I will admit however it WOULD be interesting to Moguera's unused flesh and blood mole based kaiju form make an appearance someday, & I sometimes wonder if he would have been more popular as an organic monster rather than a machine (though I'm still open for more robo Moguera appearances).

http://enshohmacorner.blogspot.com/2014 ... l-boy.html

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

KaijuDuke wrote:I like Moguera, MechaG is cool and all but I feel Toho use him too often, so its nice to see a different giant robot fight Godzilla every once and a while, especially one that actually looks more like something the military would build to fight giant monsters (with MechaG you always have to justify why anyone would build a giant mechanical version of the king of the monsters in the first place lol). The original Moguera deserves recognition as Toho's first giant robot monster, and the 90s Moguera was a solid update of the original with lots of cool new weapons and abilities...I'd honestly like to see Moguera return with another upgraded design in the future.

P.S. I will admit however it WOULD be interesting to Moguera's unused flesh and blood mole based kaiju form make an appearance someday, & I sometimes wonder if he would have been more popular as an organic monster rather than a machine (though I'm still open for more robo Moguera appearances).

http://enshohmacorner.blogspot.com/2014 ... l-boy.html
Speaking of a flesh and blood version of the robot, I can't help but be reminded of this interesting bit of fan art that runs off with the concept of a Bio-Moguera.
Looks like this particular puppy could fit quite well in the Heisei Era.
I'm actually a fan of the robot. His introduction in the opening credits of GODZILLA Vs. SPACE GODZILLA was nice. Although the bot's debut clash with Space-G which should've been a highlight looked like something out of Mystery Science Theater 3000 own opening credits. Plus the rest of the flick's lackluster script, and piss poor pacing ended up also dimming fans' and studio heads' view of MOGUERA to boot. But despite some of the negative views of MOGUERA, the robot did play a big part at the end of the day against Space Godzilla. But despite this, the bot's poor reception was more than likely a factor in scrapping a rumored return of the mech in GODZILLA Vs. DESTROYAH. The story was two,count them ,two MOGUERAS, were supposedly to be dispatched against Destroyah. But the bots would've lost, and ended up on the scrap heap to the kaiju.

I have to ask, anyone here read the fourth, and sadly what turned out the final novel of the Random House Godzilla YA novels, GODZILLAVs. THE ROBOT MONSTERS by Marc Cerasini ? In that particular novel, MOGUERA was the product of the Russians against the kaiju menace. One notable fact with the book MOGUERA didn't use its splitting into individual unit function in the storyline. Also the machine was equipped with an injection system to inject either a tranquilizer, or poison into its opponent. The Russian government was looking to use the tranqs to subdue Anguirus,who was wrecking various offshore oil rigs. Mainly for the prestige of show Mother Russia not only could defeat the kaiju, but subdue the massive beasts ,and put them in a zoo, preserve. Killing them was one thing, but keeping one corralled would be probably a more impressive feat.
Last edited by The One and Only on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Pretty bland tbh

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That flesh and blood Moguera would be an interesting foe or ally for a film. It has such an alien look.

Off topic... It would be a great accomplishment to hold a kaiju like a zoo animal, but it would also be very difficult.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

I've got a soft spot for this mecha, even if he's not as strong and powerful and MechaG, he's got a pretty good design too, even if he kinda looks like a giant robotic version of Woody Woodpecker.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

I love Moguera! Unique design and plenty of cool abilities. Super fun to play as in the Atari/Pipeworks games, too.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I always liked Moguera. Even more so then MKG and MG. It was cool to see an old school mech reimagined. He held up pretty well too against SG.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cool Mecha and glad we didn't get another Mechagodzilla. Unlike a lot of the earlier Godzilla allies he played a large role in the fight,and eventually led to the downfall of SG. It was cool how much attention they gave him, with Moguera fighting SG multiple times in multiple forms. His lore significance is cool, being the "grandson" of MKG.

However, I wish he actually fought with Godzilla, even for two minutes. He was designed to fight Godzilla, and they even have a moment where he goes to fight Godzilla but he never does.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

So, looking through the FM Analysis archives, I stumbled onto the notion (which the monster bio on the site also endorses) that the Moguera that fought in the asteroid field was lost, and the Moguera from the end of the film was actually an entirely new robot built with anti-jamming systems. However, in both cases, no source was provided. Anyone know where this bit of information came from?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Actually, we watching the film, this seems like a false claim. The briefing scene refers to the samples of cells from Spacegodzilla brought back by Moguera, which would imply that they did indeed return to Earth.

Maranatha!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Such a weird mecha, I really like him, it's so different and unique than any other mecha in the whole series.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:My all time favorite mech. I really wish he would come back.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/p__ ... rotagonist[/img]
Man, I agree with this guy. Moguera is an awesome mech and much better than the Heisei MechaGodzilla. Not as good as Showa MG though, but leagues better than Kiryu.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

fanofstuff
Monsterland Worker

Post by fanofstuff »

I like it, but I think it's mostly due to my soft spot for giant robots who's main form of attack is "blow everything up, including the enemy".