Thoughts on the unmade GODZILLA (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Re: Thoughts on the unmade GODZILLA (1994)

Post by he-ba »

Living Corpse wrote:
he-ba wrote:^Ok which is more appealing, a mutant dinosaur, or a mutant iguana? I think BOTH ideas are insults, even if they kept the nuclear origin. In Godzilla 2014 they kept his origin intact, and even came up with a new theory based on the original by Dr. Yamane. Seriously, the aliens would have RUINED the movie.
But Godzilla was inspired by dinosaurs, many of his trademark traits that make him look the way he does is a mesh mash of several different dinosaurs. And he pretty much started off as being said to be a an unknown dinosaur or something related to them.

The only thing the 2014 movie changed was say he's something older than the dinosaurs and even then he might still be related to them like a distant cousin that existed before them.
.......I think you missed what I was saying........

I think that a mutant iguana or "creation" by some higher being is an insult to the series.

Godzilla 2014 kept him a "natural mystery" like the original. Theories were made, but cannot be 100% proven.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

^I don't know why but I actually would like the idea of having nothing from GvD to his 50th. It seems slightly more appropriate than a reappearance for the Millenium.

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

he-ba: Isn't it known that Godzilla in the 2014 movie is a 250 million year old prehistoric creature from a Permian Period? I don't know if I'd call that keeping Godzilla a "natural mystery".

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:he-ba: Isn't it known that Godzilla in the 2014 movie is a 250 million year old prehistoric creature from a Permian Period? I don't know if I'd call that keeping Godzilla a "natural mystery".
How he's lived for so long, how he lives off of radiation, how he breathes fire, or how he even exists are pretty valid reasons to call him a natural mystery, lol.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:he-ba: Isn't it known that Godzilla in the 2014 movie is a 250 million year old prehistoric creature from a Permian Period? I don't know if I'd call that keeping Godzilla a "natural mystery".
I mean no theory can be completely proven. I couldn't think of another term. He's like the blobfish- we know next to nothing about this thing, so we can only assume and theorize whta the fudge it is. The 3 theories given in Gojira GRA and G14 are only theories (yes, G14 is not canon with the original, but the theories are very much alike, and so are the beings that are Godzila

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

gigan72 wrote:I read what I could find of the movie, including the story. I would've loved to see this film exist instead of what we got in 1998. I honestly feel it would have been the start of a great trilogy if it had actually been created.
It's just a wasted opportunity to me.
The silliest thing is the hypocrisy of TriStar. They rejected this for their budget, claiming it was too high, but then Emmerich and Devlin come along with an even higher budget—and you know what happens. I swear, bias towards well-known directors and producers ran rampant in this case.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

M.U.T.O. wrote:
gigan72 wrote:I read what I could find of the movie, including the story. I would've loved to see this film exist instead of what we got in 1998. I honestly feel it would have been the start of a great trilogy if it had actually been created.
It's just a wasted opportunity to me.
The silliest thing is the hypocrisy of TriStar. They rejected this for their budget, claiming it was too high, but then Emmerich and Devlin come along with an even higher budget—and you know what happens. I swear, bias towards well-known directors and producers ran rampant in this case.
Actually, the main reason for the duo's being hired for the flick, was that Devlin and Emmerich promised they could deliver a Godzilla flick for under a hundred million dollars. But as the filming of said picture went on. Roland and Dean found themselves a bit overwhelmed with the effects, and rumor had it that even blew out a computer or two, forcing the budget to go up to a point past one-hundred million,. From what I've hear somewhere in the area of 125 million smackers. Not including the fifty million that was rumored for marketing to boot.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that IDW should've made this script into a mini-series? If we can't have it as a movie, why not as a comic book story?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

mikelcho wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else think that IDW should've made this script into a mini-series? If we can't have it as a movie, why not as a comic book story?
Todd Tennant has been trying to get an adaptation of the story published. He reached out to IDW back when they were in the middle of doing their Godzilla comics, and while I believe he was able to get in contact, it just didn't pan out.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks. At least now I know.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Trying to get the script turned into a comic sounds like a legal nightmare for IDW

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I actually don't mind this Godzilla being created by a long-lost civilisation. Kind of gives it a fantasy edge and at least gives a reason why the big G would defend Earth.
Not to mention, contrary to popular belief, Godzilla wasn't created by nuclear energy, but rather awakened by such in the original '54 film (or at least implied). This script for the '96 project seems to kind of maintain that:
Somewhere in the icy waters off Alaska, a salvaged ship is retrieving reactor cores dumped there by the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Something goes wrong and a mammoth explosion destroys the ship. On shore, the snow catches fire and a crevice opens up, oozing out steaming piles of what appears to be blood.
Soldiers carry off entire barrels of the 'blood', which upon examination resembles nothing more than amniotic fluid. Upon arriving, Keith and a few other scientists discover Godzilla in the caverns, where the 'blood' was oozing off from. The monster awakens and unintentionally kills Llwellyn and the rest of the investigation team. Godzilla then attacks the Japanese Kurila islands. A surviving fisherman calls the monster "Godzilla", after recognizing him from an ancient Japanese legend.
The navy is the dispatched to counter Godzilla. After a crushing defeat, the military considers using a small nuclear device to destroy the monster, but Vought advises against it. He feels that Godzilla is a living nuclear reactor, and that what the monster breathes is not fire but something that ionizes oxygen so great it turns it into heat.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The reason why they scrapped the Debont script is because it was still relatively early in the 90's and Tristar did not feel so secure about spending that much money for a large-scale SFX fest yet.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:The reason why they scrapped the Debont script is because it was still relatively early in the 90's and Tristar did not feel so secure about spending that much money for a large-scale SFX fest yet.
The irony

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

*Looks Around for a few seconds*

So...am I the only one here who REALLY likes this script?

I've read it several times & for some reason it reminds
me of a cross between Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
& Independence Day.

*Thinks*

Which would have worked really well in 94/95.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

A part of me is actually glad this never got made otherwise we never would had gotten the masterpiece of a trilogy that was the Heisei Gamera Trilogy giving Gamera the respect he needed within the kaiju fandom and his origin making him stand out from others like Godzilla, King Kong and Ultraman.

At the same time though I wish this was made being curious how this could had been.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Grievous wrote:*Looks Around for a few seconds*

So...am I the only one here who REALLY likes this script?

I've read it several times & for some reason it reminds
me of a cross between Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
& Independence Day.

*Thinks*

Which would have worked really well in 94/95.
You're not alone
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Despite the iffy-ness I feel regarding the treatment of nuclear energy I love this script. Imagine how different things would be had this released instead.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I like the way things have turned out with the franchise, so I'm quite content with this having never been released.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

SonOfGorgo wrote:You're not alone
Yay!
Major sssspielberg! wrote:Despite the iffy-ness I feel regarding the treatment of nuclear energy I love this script. Imagine how different things would be had this released instead.
I think with the right cast, tone & action...it
could have been as big as Independence Day.

I know this sounds kind of silly...but I kind
of wish they would just update it slightly &
make it now.
Dr. Professor wrote:I like the way things have turned out with the franchise, so I'm quite content with this having never been released.
That's a fair call Doc...fair call.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!