Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris aka Gamera 3: Incomplete Struggle

I saw there was no talkback topic for this just like the other two heisei films, so I decided to make it.

You guys probably know just like in the Talkback threads.

Discuss.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gamera 3: The Awakening of Irys (1999)

Post by KJ Corp »

I found this movie overrated by many. Though I did find it very enjoyable and will give it a 6.5/10. Also, wasn't this movies title "The Revenge of Irys"?
Last edited by KJ Corp on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Some of the special effects were downright phenomenal (and others were embarrassing). The dark tone and anime-feel were well done and a very welcome change of pace to the franchise. There's also a certain artistic beauty in the film, something I can't quite describe, but I can definitely feel it. That being said, I think it relies too much on underdeveloped characters. Ayana especially could have been better developed, but doesn't fulfill the potential of the interesting concept she was given. Some of the mythological stuff felt like an afterthought and I did not care for it.

It's my least favorite of the trilogy, but it's still well above the Heisei Godzilla movies for sure (except for maybe Biollante).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

As 20th Century Boy alludes, this movie has a really distinctive duende. Ultimately, while I understand a lot of the problems people have with it, that... alchemy, that lightning in a bottle, keeps me in love with the movie. I love feeling this movie more than just about any other kaiju flick besides the original Gojira (another movie with a truly remarkable duende).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

This is a movie that doesn't quite live up to the potential of its script, so don't let anyone sell you on it being an emotional or intellectual genre masterpiece, but everything it goes for and most of its execution is just so right that I can't be bothered to care.

I love what this one does to spin a darker tale out of the first two movies. It's exciting the whole way through, and its special effects are top-notch for a suitmation kaiju movie. I don't have much else to say about it, but it's narrowly my favorite of the trilogy, just beating out Guardian of the Universe.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

This is easily in my top 3 kaiju films. It's fantastic.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

20th Century Boy wrote:Some of the special effects were downright phenomenal (and others were embarrassing). The dark tone and anime-feel were well done and a very welcome change of pace to the franchise. There's also a certain artistic beauty in the film, something I can't quite describe, but I can definitely feel it. That being said, I think it relies too much on underdeveloped characters. Ayana especially could have been better developed, but doesn't fulfill the potential of the interesting concept she was given. Some of the mythological stuff felt like an afterthought and I did not care for it.

It's my least favorite of the trilogy, but it's still well above the Heisei Godzilla movies for sure (except for maybe Biollante).
I actually heard quite a few Western critics admit that they thought the effects were good.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

I absolutely love this movie. The story was great, Gameras' look was awesome, the blood, the carnage!
Against Gamera, one will stand above the flames, while one is burned by the flames.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

IMO one of the best Kaiju Movies along with the 2nd heisei movie and the original Godzilla. Isn't my favourite heisei Gamera, that one would be the 2nd movie, but this comes next.

Was the only one who was pissed that there was never a 4th movie, because honestly the ending of this movie definitely hinted another sequel and we never got one.....

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:IMO one of the best Kaiju Movies along with the 2nd heisei movie and the original Godzilla. Isn't my favourite heisei Gamera, that one would be the 2nd movie, but this comes next.

Was the only one who was pissed that there was never a 4th movie, because honestly the ending of this movie definitely hinted another sequel and we never got one.....
Well, then it wouldn't be a trilogy.
Shadow Arena Records:

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

gzilla46 wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:IMO one of the best Kaiju Movies along with the 2nd heisei movie and the original Godzilla. Isn't my favourite heisei Gamera, that one would be the 2nd movie, but this comes next.

Well at least there is that fan-film Gamera 4: The Truth to cling to.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:

Well at least there is that fan-film Gamera 4: The Truth to cling to.
I actually was considering mentioning that, but I thought you guys would go, "NO! THAT DOESN'T COUNT!"
Shadow Arena Records:

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Was the only one who was pissed that there was never a 4th movie, because honestly the ending of this movie definitely hinted another sequel and we never got one....
Um ... did it? I definitely didn't think so.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I like that Kaneko went left field with the final film and made Gamera a villain for a stint. Finally you saw Gamera killing people even though it wasn't his fault, but a nice touch.

Favorite scene-Gamera Graveyard.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Rodan wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Was the only one who was pissed that there was never a 4th movie, because honestly the ending of this movie definitely hinted another sequel and we never got one....
Yeah, for as messy as some of the characterizations and storytelling get in this film, the ending is pretty much the cap on the "Gamera will fight no matter what" thread that runs through the trilogy. The consistency of Gamera's character through all three films is probably one of the highlights of the trilogy, and the fact that he's going to face down the entire global Gyaos swarm (along with his new military buddies) is the central driving point to the film.
bleep bloop

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Legionmaster wrote:Yeah, for as messy as some of the characterizations and storytelling get in this film, the ending is pretty much the cap on the "Gamera will fight no matter what" thread that runs through the trilogy. The consistency of Gamera's character through all three films is probably one of the highlights of the trilogy, and the fact that he's going to face down the entire global Gyaos swarm (along with his new military buddies) is the central driving point to the film.
Yeah, it seems pretty final story-wise as well. The Gamera we've come to know through the films is definitely dying at the end. You get the feeling taking on that swarm of Gyaos is going to be his last hurrah. Whether or not humanity is actually saved from the Gyaos, by this or some other Gamera or not at all is fairly inconsequential by that point.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Rodan wrote:
Well to perfectly be honest. I think the Heisei Gamera series had room for one more movie and it would of been cool how the whole fight with the swarm of Gyaos went. I mean we don't know if Gamera won, lost or both lost.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Godzilla The King wrote:The only way I think a sequel could work is if you go so far into the future it doesn't matter who won. Mankind has advanced, the Gyaos threat has ended either by Gamera or mankind. A new group of Gyaos awaken and a new Gamera awakens.
Yes and the Gamera graveyard (yep, again) proves it :mrgreen:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla The King wrote:The only way I think a sequel could work is if you go so far into the future it doesn't matter who won. Mankind has advanced, the Gyaos threat has ended either by Gamera or mankind. A new group of Gyaos awaken and a new Gamera awakens.
I agree, that would be just about the only way to continue the series.

Actually showing that big Gamera/Gyaos fight would just rob the ending of G3 of its beautiful ambiguity.

Ultimately, though, G3 put a thematic cap on the series, and I'm wholly glad that there was no continuation to cheapen it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Critically better than any Godzilla movie we have seen so far in my opinion, at least when it comes to the acting, story, etc. The battles are solid too and the climax is great.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob