Lost Project: Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Lost Project: Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Plus the original suit looks like that.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Soooo some new details have been unearthed, courtesy of the recent "Godzilla vs. Destoroyah Perfection" book.
Heisei Anguirus concept artwork by Shinji Nishikawa. During the planning stages of the final Heisei Godzilla VS. movie "Godzilla 7", a draft was pitched called "GODZILLA vs. GODZILLA", which would have seen the ghost of the 1954 Godzilla rise in the present day. Ghost Godzilla would have possessed the body of Anguirus to create a new hybrid monster. Likewise, a similar idea was considered - fusing Anguirus and Baragon to create "Baraguirus". No artwork for Heisei Baragon, Baraguirus, or the Ghost Godzilla-Anguirus hybrid exist, however.
(sourced)

Godzilla vs. (Ghost) Godzilla sounds like it would've been the craziest entry in the franchise had it been made.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

The whole Ghost mutation idea is def the most ****ed up Godzilla related thing I've ever heard.
I'd love to see an anime movie based on this concept.
Last edited by Kenpachiro Hirata on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd like to see a hybrid of Godzilla and Anguirus.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

I think it’s related to the “Godzilla vs Godzilla” draft that came before the “Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla”.

Now, if only we had any plot details about the “Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan” concept.
Last edited by SickleFeather on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SickleFeather wrote:I think it’s related to the “Godzilla vs Godzilla” draft that came before the “Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla”.

Now, if only we had any plot details about the “Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan” concept.
I'll be steadily working through the "Godzilla vs. Destoroyah concept evolution" timeline now that other projects have been wrapped up. I wanted to wait till the GvD Perfection book was released in case it had any further details for vs. Varan and vs. Bagan, though it did have plenty of juicy details for vs. Ghost Godzilla and vs. Barubaroi.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Man, I really would have loved to see Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla with all the new information coming out about it.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Man, all this newly revealed information about the many drafts is blowing my mind!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I dig a lot of the elements, the aurora Godzilla sounds like a neat concept for just being some big object that eliminates anything that touches it, so does the concept of the ghost Godzilla initially starting problems.

However, the film sounds like a gigantic clusterfuck, and a lot of stuff doesn't sound realistic. I know we are talking about a Godzilla film, but Miki randomly getting plutonium is downright odd. Especially how unceremoniously the Heisei Godzilla is killed off, and the idea of crystal Godzilla is dumb, just have a powered up aurora or ghost Godzilla. It also seemed quick to drop its ghost idea. Feels like enough material for like two or three separate movies to be honest.

I suppose the whole bone thing was given a spiritual successor in Godzilla Tokyo Sos which is nice.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I dig a lot of the concepts (Aurora Godzilla, reanimated 1954 Godzilla, Crystal Godzilla), and if this scrapped project ever fell into the hands of the right writers and directors I bet it has the potential to be spectacular. But from the existing draft I've read (Godzilla vs Godzilla: Story Plan A), I'm personally glad this film was never made.

For one, the writing is about as wonky as most of the Heisei series. The characters literally come and go and are never seen again; the only one who sticks around is Miki Segausa. We even get a brief-but-pointless subplot about the son of Emiko and Ogata that never goes anywhere. Furthermore, I feel that Ghost Godzilla feels very out of character being portrayed as a 100% totally evil menace, a generic demonic spirit that has to be exorcised from a child (Little Godzilla)'s body. While it would make sense if he were just angry or restless- which could make for an interesting subplot and exploration of the original Godzilla's character (think back to Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla)- the 1954 Godzilla was never evil. He was just an injured, traumatized animal; a tragic war victim who's death garnered as much sorrow as Serizawa's.

Speaking of Serizawa, I skreeonking hate the whole Neo-Oxygen Destroyer subplot. A: It undermines Serizawa's sacrifice in the original film and violates that film's anti-nuclear message, and B: it never goes anywhere. It existed simply as a really lazy, anti-climactic means to kill off the Heisei Godzilla (which, if you think about it, means that in the future Japan's gonna have to deal with ANOTHER Ghost Godzilla now).

Overall, a good concept, and maybe someday it'll see the light of day at last- and quite possibly even be good. AMAZING, even. But until then, so far it's the Kiryu Saga that handles the concept of Ghost Godzilla best.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

ShinGojira14 wrote:(which, if you think about it, means that in the future Japan's gonna have to deal with ANOTHER Ghost Godzilla now).
Actually no, according to the draft the Neo Oxygen Destroyer destroys both your physical body AND your life energy, a direct improvement over the OD. So Heisei Godzilla would've just been... completely erased, body and soul.

Of course, this was just a rough draft, no doubt they would've polished it some had it been finalized.
/crawls back under rock