Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by TheLastGezora »

Alright, I know it's just GINO, but I liked how they tried to make him more like the original. (And included all those references) What are your thoughts on the show?
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

It was amazing.

Watched it alot when I was a kid.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

It's what first got me interested in Godzilla when I was about 4 years old, but I can't remember a thing about it. All I have is the Monster Wars DVD, which I liked, but I'm not going to judge the entire series based on a mere three episodes.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I enjoyed it. Gino is more like his namesake, and he had some interesting enemies.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I only saw the episode with the giant rats and the Monster Wars episode, which kind of underwhelmed me. I never made the effort to watch the other episodes after that.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Never saw it, but sounds as dull as the movie.
Fuck GINO.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^He is? I tried watching a couple of episodes and wow, not even the movie is that cringe-worthy...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

I might as well take the opportunity to repost links to some GODZILLA: THE SERIES articles we ran on SciFi Japan...

Series Guide with production info, episode descriptions, character bios and rare production art: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2006 ... he-series/

A detailed look at abandoned Trendmasters' toy line: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... -toy-line/

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

The animated series kicked ass. I think this is what gave Zilla his fans. If so, then he has earned them.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

tymon wrote:^He is? I tried watching a couple of episodes and wow, not even the movie is that cringe-worthy...
Same here.

I hate how people act like this was some amazing show that made redeemed Gino. No, it fucking didnt. It gave the Gino sympathizers something to latch onto.

"LOOK, HE'S DOING GODZILLA STUFF! SEE? IT'S NOT ALL BAD!"

Yeah, great. Now he's only slightly less of a bastardization. They got the character right (well, right enough); shame about the looks though! Yuck.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
I hate how people act like this was some amazing show that made redeemed Gino. No, it skreeonk didnt.
Well, in my opinion, it did. Even the people who hated the movie ended up liking the show.
Shadow Arena Records:

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla The King wrote:I' m not gonna try to convert you to liking this show, I am going to defend it.
It's a fun show, I'm not claiming its great writing(Though I do like what they did with Godzilla, he is a character in the show.) I'll admit it has bad jokes, though it does get a chuckle every once in a while.
I'll admit the acting is at most mediocre. You're free to have you're opinions just if you hate it, try to be civil.
I agree 100%. Come on, man. People need to just accept that the 1998 film happened, and just take it as its own thing, and treat Zilla as Zilla. Honestly, I kind of want to see Zilla in more things in the future to see what they can do with him.
Shadow Arena Records:

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Oh boy, here we go again with the "people need to let it go" crap...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

From the few episodes I've seen recently, it's not bad. It isn't good enough to excuse the movie, but it's watchable enough. I do really like some of the monsters it introduced, especially Crustaceous Rex, El Gusano, and The Bat. It'd be cool to see them used in a non-GINO movie or something someday. Not that it'll happen, of course.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Godzilla The King wrote:
Shadow wrote:Never saw it, but sounds as dull as the movie.
skreeonk GINO.
You're really missing out on something here.
Me miss out? On a TV show of the most hated monster? I don't think so.
GINO sucked, I don't see how the show could be any better.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Shadow wrote:
Godzilla The King wrote:
Shadow wrote:Never saw it, but sounds as dull as the movie.
skreeonk GINO.
You're really missing out on something here.
Me miss out? On a TV show of the most hated monster? I don't think so.
GINO sucked, I don't see how the show could be any better.
You've never even watched the show! Your argument is --------.

Those of you who say the acting and plot is bad? May I remind you we're part of the Godzilla fanbase?

Sorry, just had to speak my mind.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Giveaway412 wrote: You've never even watched the show! Your argument is --------.

Those of you who say the acting and plot is bad? May I remind you we're part of the Godzilla fanbase?

I have never watched it, but I have seen enough of pieces of episodes to get the general image. I also wasn't making an argument, I was stating my opinion of the show, which is allowed.
Godzilla fanbase is not part of GINO fanbase.

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Giveaway412 wrote: You've never even watched the show! Your argument is --------.

So you're saying we shouldnt have standards just because some of the movies we like arent really all that great?

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Shadow wrote:GINO sucked, I don't see how the show could be any better.
The difference is the approach. TriStar's GODZILLA movie was made Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich, who weren't Godzilla fans, couldn't understand how people could like the old movies, and had zero interest in honoring what had come before.

GODZILLA: THE SERIES was a cartoon spin-off from the movie, and therefore had to use the look of the monster from the film. But several people on the staff were big Godzilla fans (I was one of them) who took what they had to work with and made something much more faithful to the Toho films.

One big example came in the script for the first episode, which had Godzilla using his radioactive breath. Dean Devlin objected and told story editor Bob Skir (who co-wrote the episode) to remove those scenes. Bob refused, saying Godzilla always has radioactive breath and that fans expect to see it. Devlin relented because Bob stood his ground. It's the different between one guy "getting" Godzilla and the other one not.

I don't think G:TS is some artistic masterpiece... it's a Saturday morning kids' show made for network TV that had to deal with tight budgets and schedules, plus all of the rules and restrictions imposed by Standards and Practices. Nor do I think every Godzilla would (or should) like it. But I do feel it's a worthwhile addition to Godzilla's history, made by people who actually gave a damn about the character. There are some cool monsters and fight scenes, fun in-jokes and references to the Toho films (DAM, Monster Island, Mechagodzilla, Ifukube, Mechani-Kong etc), and a bunch of great voice actors (guest actors included Ron Perlman, Roddy McDowall, Linda Blair, Robert Forster, Michael Chiklis and Clancy Brown).

Ratings were good, Godzilla fans were generally pleased with the show, Toho was VERY happy with it, and its a favorite of some Japanese FX filmmakers. And this life-long Godzilla fan is glad to have been a part of that.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Shadow wrote:

I have never watched it, but I have seen enough of pieces of episodes to get the general image. I also wasn't making an argument, I was stating my opinion of the show, which is allowed.
Godzilla fanbase is not part of GINO fanbase.
That's better, originally you were saying you've NEVER seen it, and you can't have an opinion on it if you don't know enough about it.
Also, you're right. Godzilla fanbase is not part of GINO fanbase. Gino fanbase is part of Godzilla fanbase.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote: