Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by EdGojira »

Out of curiosity, what were the plans for the sequel film to Godzilla(1998) if there were any?
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

EdGojira wrote:Out of curiosity, what were the plans for the sequel film to Godzilla(1998) if there were any?
This series! :)

The box office for this movie, even though big was not impressing to the studio. Reviews didn't help either so a sequel wasn't considered.

Before the series started, I don't think Emmerich and Tristar had anything planned for a sequel, they just tried to end the movie in the most lazy way possible.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Saansilt wrote:I think the military here is the mist competant normal military in the franchise.
Think about it: They can fight off monsters, not kill them most of the time yeah but they can herd them away, the mobilize very fast.
To be fair, they can only fight off the monsters in this series because said monsters have the durability of wet paper compared to those in the Toho movies. They can usually mobilize quickly and start fighting back in the movies, but that doesn't matter if their weapons have no effect.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Saansilt wrote:I think the mainline monster here have the same durability level as the Toho beasties. During monster wars many of them gave the militaries heck.
I don't know about that. With a no help 1 vs 1, all the monsters in this series could have been taken out pretty easily. The future DRAGMAs though, now we're talking Toho shit.

primortal
Yojimbo

Post by primortal »

there's just so much I liked about this show. This version of Zilla/GINO was more like the Godzilla he was named after. Loved the design concepts behind the kaiju, giving things their own uniqueness... favorites being creatures like C-Rex, King Cobra and El Gusano. And they fixed what was broken about the 98 movie, even making the characters from the movie more appealing/likable than they were in live-action form.

Shame we never got a good ENDING to it.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Anyone think that the DNA Creature would be the only Zilla Jr. that could give the Japanese Godzilla a run for his money? He could copy Godzilla and fight him that way.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The monsters in this series are probably on the same level as the kaiju from Final Wars. Godzilla would probably blow through them without much trouble even the dragmas and DNA creature. Zilla would give him a bit of trouble but not that much. It would be more interesting if he teamed up with Zilla jr.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Show was decent. Nothing worthwhile though.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Saansilt wrote:
Godzillian wrote:The monsters in this series are probably on the same level as the kaiju from Final Wars. Godzilla would probably blow through them without much trouble even the dragmas and DNA creature. Zilla would give him a bit of trouble but not that much. It would be more interesting if he teamed up with Zilla jr.
Nah. The beasties here are not that weak.
Some of em, yeah. But the notable ones are Toho Level.
What is Toho level? Freaking Destroyah?! :P

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

KJ Corp wrote:
Saansilt wrote:
Godzillian wrote:The monsters in this series are probably on the same level as the kaiju from Final Wars. Godzilla would probably blow through them without much trouble even the dragmas and DNA creature. Zilla would give him a bit of trouble but not that much. It would be more interesting if he teamed up with Zilla jr.
Nah. The beasties here are not that weak.
Some of em, yeah. But the notable ones are Toho Level.
What is Toho level? Freaking Destroyah?! :P
Toho level is probably, like, Rodan or Varan or something.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

The Godzilla in this cartoon is stronger than the one in the '98 movie (the creators were obviously trying to fix some of the wrongs). Doesn't work as well to compare this one to the weak 98 Godzilla or FW Zilla.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

My interest in this show is rebooting, as I said in another thread, it was far more legit attempt at an American Godzilla. And I gotta be honest, green for his atomic breath was a neat choice.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:My interest in this show is rebooting, as I said in another thread, it was far more legit attempt at an American Godzilla. And I gotta be honest, green for his atomic breath was a neat choice.
Too bad the writers and the executive producer of the cartoon were not upgraded to a sequel/quasi reboot so they could have turned the series around.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

As good as the cartoon was, I think the movie was such a bad taste in people's mouths, nothing at the time could repair the damage. I had heard the show was doing well in views at the start, then Pokemon and Digimon came in. Guess there wasn't enough interest to keep it alive.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:As good as the cartoon was, I think the movie was such a bad taste in people's mouths, nothing at the time could repair the damage. I had heard the show was doing well in views at the start, then Pokemon and Digimon came in. Guess there wasn't enough interest to keep it alive.
It wasn't so much a lack of interest the show actually did pretty well in the ratings. It suffered from getting moved around to different time slots due to Fox Kids wanting to air more eps of Digimon to try and compete with Pokemon on Kids WB. Eventually Fox lost interest in the show as they tried to get as many new eps of digimon on as possible.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I had a hard time watching it as a kid. For one thing, it came on Saturday mornings? And we were always going places on Saturday mornings. I could never remember what time it came on (I don't think I could even tell time yet), and of course, there was the complete time-slot mess.

I think I only saw maybe 5 episodes on TV as a kid, the pilot, the Monster Wars stuff, and I remember the one with the Crackler.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Likewise with me. I only saw a handful of episodes during the airing. I remember this one time, I was outside playing with my brother and his friends, mom came out to tell me Godzilla was coming on.

I passed it up for playing outside. I am ashamed.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I always wanted to see Zilla. Jr have his own set of allies. King Cobra, The Giant Bat, Skeetra...
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Saansilt wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:I always wanted to see Zilla. Jr have his own set of allies. King Cobra, The Giant Bat, Skeetra...

They looked to work up to with Monster Wars, and S.C.A.L.E. showing the others leaving the big G to fight skeetera instead of battle Royaleing him.
Monster wars they all worked independently but fought the same foe. It wasn't really working together as just all fighting a common enemy. S.C.A.L.E. the other kaiju were contained in their pens by the time Godzilla was battling skeetera

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Watching this series now that it has a complete DVD release. It's actually pretty decent. Nothing stellar, but decent all around. Light years ahead of the movie it's based on, in fact. I love the characterization and personality of Godzilla and I like how they give him some Showa roars in addition to the GINO roars.