Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by Godzillian »

gzilla46 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:The kaiju in this series aren't really at the same level as Godzilla or other Toho kaiju. They are smaller and much weaker. Godzilla battling them would be like how his fights in final wars went. Quickly and without any trouble. Giant Bat is one of the best in the series.
Yeah. I will agree with you that at. But, they are kind of more unique than the Toho Kaiju. How often do you an electricity monster (except Ghidorah's beams) and C-Rex is interesting.
Yeah a lot of them were really unique and even some of the more unoriginal ones had nice tricks to them like King Cobras glue venom

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I like Godzilla: The Series. Sure it's super corny and goofy, but it has a charm to it. The designs of the kaiju are off the wall and bizzare, making them stick out more. Plus, the human characters are pretty interesting and fun in their own way.

My only complait is that it didn't last as long as it should have. I mean, 40 episodes?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It should have lasted longer, but interest in Godzilla was waning. What we got was good, though, and some interesting kaiju.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

edgaguirus wrote:It should have lasted longer, but interest in Godzilla was waning. What we got was good, though, and some interesting kaiju.
It didn't end due to a lack of interest in Godzilla it ended due to scheduling conflicts with Digimon since Fox wanted to try and get as many eps of that on the air as possible so they could compete with pokemon on the WB

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Saansilt wrote:Well, at episode 40 they left ALOT of room to go on with. Also the fact that a new arc was building, one concerning shady buisnessmen exploitong mutations. What could have been. Still a great show, but it feels cut short.
Cameron Winter making a killing on a contract to the military for the Lizard Slayers at the end of "Lizard Season". Also speaking of dangling plot threads in the episode Where Is Thy Sting ?, the military was developing their own kaiju/mutations with First Wave, the giant scorpion. Then when things went tits up with First, and the Second Wave projects, and the main characters left after First Wave's defeat. The man in charge, Colonel Charles Tarrington, gets on the phone with the with his scientific counterpart on the project. And tells him the first two parts of the project went bust, time to start Third Wave. Which we never see, except in our minds. I keep thinking of a Zilla/scorpion hybrid was to be the fruit of that project. And, who doesn't think those aliens wouldn't be coming back, especially with Sopler and Hoffman still having all that alien stuff still in them after the aliens possessing them,and "self destructing" after the invasion failed. I always thought the aliens were waiting further orders at a later time. I though if Monster War II had happened, we would've seen the Lizaed Slayers, Third Wave, and Zilla fighting against the aliens second coming. And even Cameron Winter ,and Solstice Technology, throwing another player in the field, the repaired Cyber-Godzilla, into the fight. Yeah, I thought about it.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I imagine the military would leap at the chance to have a lizard slayer. We could've had a future episode where the military actually is able to take out a monster before something disaesterous happens and they need Godzilla.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I will say for those who think Zilla would NEVER, EVER win a fight. They should watch this show. He won every fight ever in this series. Against Godzilla he wouldn't win ever, sure, but here he has some reasonable foes.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wish they did more with monster island and the surviving mutations like c-rex and king cobra. It just seemed like a way to get them out of the series except for an ep after monster wars. Would've been cool to see zilla jr work with them like Godzilla did with kaiju in the showa series.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I find it funny that a TV series based on a movie can have higher praise than the actual film. I love that the series went every where the movie should have.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I always really liked the series. I felt that this version of Godzilla was what it should have been in the actual 98' movie.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

I guess I liked this series. The character s were bland so whenever they talked I just skipped them. Usually to pick out an episode I'd watch I'd just watch the intro to see if Gino jr's enemy was cool and if it wasn't, then screw the episode!

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

That Shows was always kind of fun to watch. I like Zilla Jr. :)
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

DaddlerTheDalek wrote:That Shows was always kind of fun to watch. I like Zilla Jr. :)
Agreed. Zilla Jr is badass. One of my top 10 favorite Kaiju.
Shadow Arena Records:

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

I only ever got to see Monster Wars and The Crackler and I did like what I saw.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Saansilt wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:
DaddlerTheDalek wrote:That Shows was always kind of fun to watch. I like Zilla Jr. :)
Agreed. Zilla Jr is badass. One of my top 10 favorite Kaiju.
He is my number one.
Good choice.
Shadow Arena Records:

yedme
Yojimbo

Post by yedme »

I must say that i liked the show, and imo jr was that zilla they should start with- he got atomic breath and was quite durable, and even got some personality, nothing like 98 gino. And a lot of kaiju from series was interesting- c rex was good (and from what i read its not only my opinion) and cyberzilla was brilliant. And i think sometimes that it was part of kiryu inspiration, even if it was not ;)

Also, nobody said anything about opening melody- i was even trying to rap on it when i was a kid!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

^Oh, I love the opening as well! For some reason, I find it incredibly catchy.

I love the fact that this shares the same production company/animation style as Men in Black: The Series.

Those were two good examples of movie spin-off cartoons.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

kaijukurt wrote:^Oh, I love the opening as well! For some reason, I find it incredibly catchy.

I love the fact that this shares the same production company/animation style as Men in Black: The Series.

Those were two good examples of movie spin-off cartoons.
And Extreme Ghostbusters! Yeah I love the opening too. I whish Godzilla was as destructive in the whole series as he is in the intro animation.

GodzillaLord
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaLord »

I Liked it, yer it did not redeem GINO form me.
"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth."
GodzillaLord wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?.
No. Given that the majority of Godzilla kaiju aren't sentient and are essentially just large animals, that's a little bit messed up. "Shrug", i digress do what you like, but i don't need the information.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

GodzillaLord wrote:I Liked it, yer it did not redeem GINO form me.
It did and didn't for me. Zilla sucks, but Zilla Jr. is awesome.
Shadow Arena Records: