Page 20 of 20

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 pm
by Godzillian
Why are you posting here while also posting about how bad the forum is?
eabaker wrote:What's with all this "you guys" business? Pretty sure you were only really having an argument with one person.

I speak for you all, I am your king. Bow :lol:

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 pm
by Zarm
And I, for one, and most definitely no Showa fanboy. I consider the Heisei series to be the best that the entire Godzilla franchise has to offer.

I just consider this particular movie to be the worst that the Heisei series has to offer.

And even then, just like eabaker, I was defending it a few posts ago. Because we can recognize what is good and bad in a film independently of what series it's a part of. Or even independently of whether we like the movie overall. Heck, I'm the guy that defends the majority of Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. :) But this particular film... just didn't work for me.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:23 pm
by Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G&G-Fan wrote:(and I find it so funny that you guys didn't even respond to my criticism... it's almost as if it's TRUE)


Nobody is interested in arguing against you, since you seem like someone who suffers from a heavy persecution complex. A lot of your posts are awfully loaded with a dislike towards this website and it's community, or "criticisms" which have no bearing on a film's storytelling. For example....

The funny thing is there is a scene in Mothra vs. Godzilla that perfectly fits what you're trying to portray this scene as. After the imago Mothra is dead, the Shobijin suddenly go "Oh, we can just sing to the egg and it will hatch! No worries!". First of all, why does Godzilla just leave the egg after he kills the adult Mothra? He seemed interested in eating it before, so why doesn't he proceed after he's killed the only thing preventing him from doing so? Second, if they could make the egg hatch at will, why didn't the Shobijin make it hatch earlier so it would wreck Happy Enterprises, teaching them a lesson, and then the larva can go home on it's own. No problem! Third, the fact that the Shobijin can just sing a song to make Mothra hatch is just so out of the blue and not explained. Fourth, how did they get all of the natives of Infant Island to sing along with them and do that whole big ceremony? Did they send an email to them saying "Yo my dudes, how about you start singing along with us!" I love the movie and love the song but come on!

And yet that film gets praised up and down as a masterpiece? Want to know why?

Bias. Guess what? No film is perfect.


You're raising non-issues that have no bearing on what the movie is communicating to it's audience, and then dismissing anybody who doesn't care about them as biased individuals. None of these are faults that would take it's audience out of the story, nor anything you can use as some sort of "gotcha!" to try to deflect criticism against something you like. (Not that you should resort to whataboutisms) If you wanna critique Mothra vs Godzilla, why don't you bring up continuity, effects, or editing errors that do make the film a weaker production? Or any gripes you might have with the film's characterization, structure, directing, etc.

Why don't you ask your Facebook friend what their TK username was, to verify if their story is true?

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 pm
by Godzilla21
Wow this thread is getting good!

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 am
by Grievous
eabaker wrote:Honestly, I don't know if it would be possible for another movie to put us so completely at odds as TLJ does.

That's a fair call...

szmigiel wrote:
Grievous wrote:[So...its The Last Jedi of the Godzilla Franchise?

More like the Highlander 2 the Quickening of the Godzilla Franchise

OH SNAP!!!

He's bringing out the big guns!

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:53 am
by Maritonic
Well then hahah. This definitely got interesting.

I wish people just understood it's okay to like a movie, good or bad, and be done with it. No need to get all uppity about defending it.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 am
by Gojirawars 03
Grievous wrote:
szmigiel wrote:I think this movie is one you either need to gloss over the plot, make up a lot of headcannon, or just laugh at the absurdity of it all.

So...its The Last Jedi of the Godzilla Franchise?

Do NOT compare this movie to that trash.

*insert Danny Devito meme here*

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
G&G-Fan wrote:(and I find it so funny that you guys didn't even respond to my criticism... it's almost as if it's TRUE)


Nobody is interested in arguing against you, since you seem like someone who suffers from a heavy persecution complex. A lot of your posts are awfully loaded with a dislike towards this website and it's community, or "criticisms" which have no bearing on a film's storytelling. For example....

The funny thing is there is a scene in Mothra vs. Godzilla that perfectly fits what you're trying to portray this scene as. After the imago Mothra is dead, the Shobijin suddenly go "Oh, we can just sing to the egg and it will hatch! No worries!". First of all, why does Godzilla just leave the egg after he kills the adult Mothra? He seemed interested in eating it before, so why doesn't he proceed after he's killed the only thing preventing him from doing so? Second, if they could make the egg hatch at will, why didn't the Shobijin make it hatch earlier so it would wreck Happy Enterprises, teaching them a lesson, and then the larva can go home on it's own. No problem! Third, the fact that the Shobijin can just sing a song to make Mothra hatch is just so out of the blue and not explained. Fourth, how did they get all of the natives of Infant Island to sing along with them and do that whole big ceremony? Did they send an email to them saying "Yo my dudes, how about you start singing along with us!" I love the movie and love the song but come on!

And yet that film gets praised up and down as a masterpiece? Want to know why?

Bias. Guess what? No film is perfect.


You're raising non-issues that have no bearing on what the movie is communicating to it's audience, and then dismissing anybody who doesn't care about them as biased individuals. None of these are faults that would take it's audience out of the story, nor anything you can use as some sort of "gotcha!" to try to deflect criticism against something you like. (Not that you should resort to whataboutisms) If you wanna critique Mothra vs Godzilla, why don't you bring up continuity, effects, or editing errors that do make the film a weaker production? Or any gripes you might have with the film's characterization, structure, directing, etc.

Why don't you ask your Facebook friend what their TK username was, to verify if their story is true?

My friend G&G and I both love this movie to death. The difference between me and him is that I think I better understand where the film's critics are coming from. I guess I can just see the other side better, and don't wall off any negative opinions on it. No offense G&G, but sometimes you seem to get really touchy anytime anyone brings up criticisms of the Heisei films.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 am
by szmigiel
Silly headcanon from this movie and the rest of the Heisei series. The psychic plant song is kind of an earworm to the psychics that learned it. They find themselves humming it from time to time over the next 2 years. It is this humming that causes baby to grow into little, then into junior, in just 2 years time. It also is what really caused Godzilla to go meltdown. It could also be what drew Spacegodzilla to Earth.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:53 am
by Maritonic
Okay, I'm going to be completely damn honest here I do NOT remember any psychic plant song in this movie. This is usually one of the ones I pop in all the time, too (I'm a sucker for the score for this one). So, someone please remind me what I missed the last time I drunk-watched this?

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 am
by Terasawa
Maritonic wrote:Okay, I'm going to be completely damn honest here I do NOT remember any psychic plant song in this movie. This is usually one of the ones I pop in all the time, too (I'm a sucker for the score for this one). So, someone please remind me what I missed the last time I drunk-watched this?


Aoki pockets a plant sample when he sneaks into the lab and meets Azusa. Miki senses it has a strong aura (or something) when he shows it to her in the G-Force commissary. They take it to a psychic research center (this is the scene with the Cosmos actresses and Tadao Takashima cameos) and the psychic girls gather around the sample to "read" it. The girls translate it into the wordless song that, when played at the lab in Kyoto, causes Baby to hatch from his egg. It's the same song that the psychic girls sing in Baby's pen, accidentally riling him up (and unknown to the characters, revives Rodan). An instrumental arrangement plays over the end credits as well.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:19 am
by Maritonic
Terasawa wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Okay, I'm going to be completely damn honest here I do NOT remember any psychic plant song in this movie. This is usually one of the ones I pop in all the time, too (I'm a sucker for the score for this one). So, someone please remind me what I missed the last time I drunk-watched this?


Aoki pockets a plant sample when he sneaks into the lab and meets Azusa. Miki senses it has a strong aura (or something) when he shows it to her in the G-Force commissary. They take it to a psychic research center (this is the scene with the Cosmos actresses and Tadao Takashima cameos) and the psychic girls gather around the sample to "read" it. The girls translate it into the wordless song that, when played at the lab in Kyoto, causes Baby hatch from his egg. It's the same song that the psychic girls sing in Baby's pen, riling him up (and unknown to the characters, revives Rodan). An instrumental arrangement plays over the end credits as well.


Oh skreeonk that's right! I remember that now. Thanks!

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:32 am
by szmigiel
https://imgur.com/a/ZVdwGRp
Here is screen caps of the 1st time it is played when it cause Baby to hatch and summons Godzilla
https://imgur.com/gallery/sCDtLaI
Here is the 2nd time when the Children sing, baby goes a little bonkers and Rodan is resurrected as Fire Rodan.

It's kind of a major plot point of the film.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 am
by Maritonic
szmigiel wrote:https://imgur.com/a/ZVdwGRp
Here is screen caps of the 1st time it is played when it cause Baby to hatch and summons Godzilla
https://imgur.com/gallery/sCDtLaI
Here is the 2nd time when the Children sing, baby goes a little bonkers and Rodan is resurrected as Fire Rodan.

It's kind of a major plot point of the film.


And I kinda said I forgot about it and asked for a refresher, and once I was reminded, I remembered.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:13 am
by LSD Jellyfish
The psychic plant song was a major plot point, but it was also never really explained or touched upon. It’s sortve this mysterious thing that just happens.

Strangely enough, when Godzilla Junior is dying, Godzilla sortve starts to glow and “breathes” some sort of pink energy/Fire into Junior. I’m wondering if maybe Godzilla has some sort of telepathic communication going on, and actually the psychics are tapping into the same force. Like someone also said earlier it would tie into the psychic abilities of SG.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am
by Godzillian
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The psychic plant song was a major plot point, but it was also never really explained or touched upon. It’s sortve this mysterious thing that just happens.

Strangely enough, when Godzilla Junior is dying, Godzilla sortve starts to glow and “breathes” some sort of pink energy/Fire into Junior. I’m wondering if maybe Godzilla has some sort of telepathic communication going on, and actually the psychics are tapping into the same force. Like someone also said earlier it would tie into the psychic abilities of SG.

I think that scene was Godzilla trying to revive JR with radiation? Idk but still a sad scene

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:52 am
by Anguirus
This is the Heisei film I have watched the most. The soundtrack, fight scenes, return of Rodan, and Baby Godzilla make this a great film in my opinion. Also has my favorite Mechagodzilla design.

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 pm
by Stump Feet
The return of Rodan is completely undermined by how dreadful and stiff his puppet looks.

Added in 16 days 7 hours 12 minutes 19 seconds:
Found an interesting analysis of GvMG2


Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:10 pm
by MosuraYa
Stump Feet wrote:The return of Rodan is completely undermined by how dreadful and stiff his puppet looks.

Added in 16 days 7 hours 12 minutes 19 seconds:
Found an interesting analysis of GvMG2


This is a weird take. Godzilla is a tragic character by nature.
Within the Heisei era Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah both go out of their way to give Godzilla moments where you're meant to sympathize with him, so it's not new for this iteration of Godzilla. In this video the guy seems to forget that and forget that Godzilla is an animal and ultimately a victim of humanity. Even in Gojira his death is treated as something sad.
I always thought it was pretty clear that what starts to change peoples' minds about Godzilla is seeing what he possibly once was/witnessing a previously unseen nurturing instinct that makes him easier to empathize with.

Whole video comes off as a typical attempt at writing off the Heisei sieries if I'm being honest.

Also always felt like that final shot of Godzilla and Minya in Son of Godzilla was unearned because to my millennial eyes Godzilla is an abusive father in that movie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:17 pm
by Living Corpse
What frustrates me about this movie is Mechagodzilla was originally planned to do SOME tooth & claw fighting but the stuff they made the suit out of was too frail and keep falling apart so he was reduced to exclusively being a mobile turret.

So if you ever wondered why Heisei Mechagodzilla seems to know some hand to hand combat in the video games, there's your answer. He was supposed to be a mostly long ranger fighter who does some punches, not be only a long range fighter.