Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Post by Arrow »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

Like a good number of the Heisei films (Biollante, King Ghidorah, Destoroyah) this is a film I enjoy despite not being able to watch all the way through. The human characters are as mediocre as ever, which - like the previous film - is a shame considering the concepts thrown in with them (in Godzilla vs. Mothra it was the parents and with this it was the bonding with Baby Godzilla). And the Heisei Mechagodzilla is by far the most bland and boring of the character's incarnations. The extra bulk on the Godzilla suit is, honestly, very distracting and takes away from the monster's magnificent design. And while I like the design of the Heisei Rodan, the execution is terrible. I don't know why Kawakita has so much trouble with flying monsters. And I'm not a fan of the beam overdose in the final battle. Miki Saegusa takes a more active role in this film and it's certainly to the movie's detriment. Her character isn't used well, and I'd blame that on Mimura's writing.

But there are a good number of positives as well. The special effects effects are good and the design for Rodan was a great new take on the character (still doesn't touch '56 Rodan, but beats '60s Rodan in terms of design). Akira Ifukube delivers a new and powerful musical score. And the Baby Godzilla is a nice design as well. Even with the writing flaws, the story is pretty straightforward and coherent. The first battle between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla and the early battle between Godzilla and Rodan are nice. It can be fun at times.

Not my favorite of the Heisei series and still a step down from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (but a step up from Mothra), but an nice entertaining film nonetheless - despite its flaws.

Discuss eet!
Last edited by Arrow on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1 Startruck Jonez
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993)

Post by G1 Startruck Jonez »

I'm gonna quote myself from the Favorite Heisei Movie thread as to save time.
G1 Startruck Jonez wrote:Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II for me. Even though it was the bulkiest Heisei suit, I love that damn Godzilla suit. It gave the King mass, and presence.
I loved how Toho "JP'd" it with the animatronic facework on the King. Baby Godzilla not so much, but awesome effect for the King.
I loved the idea of reverse-engineering future technology, and using Godzilla's greatest foe to create arguably Godzilla's second greatest foe.
I loved that they brought Rodan back, but wasnt that impressed with the puppet execution. But I do love the fight between Godzilla and Rodan when they first encounter each other on the island.
I love Aoki. I really do. He's probably my favorite funny man in the entire Godzilla series. Plus I love that he's a quirky inventor. Seriously, how many of us didnt want one of those mechanical pterasaurs?
Mikki is at her hottest, plus I love the character work with her in this film. Does she use her abilities and help destroy Godzilla, or doesnt she. I dont know, I liked that struggle for her.
While not my favorite looking Mecha-Godzilla design, I love its weapons. The mega buster was a cool name for a mouth ray, the Plasma Grenade, the G-Crusher - damn. That thing took Godzilla out. I never understood how they went from that to cornball Moguera.
I love that it was the first time we saw the red spiral ray. When I saw that for the first time, my mouth hit the floor. It was an epic moment.
And last but not least - the score. It is my favorite score of all the series. Mecha-Godzilla's theme is so.....I dont know, heroic? It reminds me of the Superman theme, you hear it, and you feel inspired.
That make sense to any of you? Thats just how I feel.
I love Godzilla's March. I do. But that Mecha-Godzilla theme is absolute brilliance.
word.
Geek Culture for the Geek in us all - https://www.facebook.com/G1and2
Become a fan.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Good music, good effects, great fights (especially Godzilla vs. Rodan), and an interesting story. A very enjoyable movies overall. But, a pteranodon enthusiast? A herbivorous therapod? Really?

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

One more thing:

The back-and-forth portrayal of Godzilla in this film's always amused me. One minute he's supposed to be a menace, the next minute he's supposed to be sympathetic. Who the hell am I supposed to root for? If Mechagodzilla is a good guy, then shouldn't I be glad when he takes out Godzilla? If so, why am I supposed to be happy when Godzilla destroys it and goes back to the sea - free to haunt Japan another day? And why does Miki protest having to aid G-Force in killing Godzilla when she - and everyone else - knows it's the right thing to do? It's ridiculously confusing.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Arrow wrote:And why does Miki protest having to aid G-Force in killing Godzilla when she - and everyone else - knows it's the right thing to do? It's ridiculously confusing.
If you cared for a cute, harmless therapod and the G-Force tells you it must be destroyed, it'd probably be harder to let them do this than you think. ;)

As for the movie, I like it. One of the best of the Heisei series, I believe.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Honestly, I love this movie. Sure, it's got its share of faults, but they aren't nearly as numerous in this film as the Heisei entries that immediately preceded and followed this film. The costume design here is pretty spectacular, and it was truly the last hurrah of Kawakita before he totally bogged himself down and got totally lazy. There are some bad matte shots here and there, but the optical effects and kaiju fights are genuinely exciting and more physical than later entries. Just take a look at Godzilla and Rodan's excellent fight. While MG does use his beams a lot, well, just look at his Showa portrayal. That's all MG really does is fire beams and missiles from a distance. Rodan's prop is a bit of a joke when compared to his Showa counterparts, but the more realistic style they portray Rodan is acceptable in my opinion.

Of course, the score here is absolutely fabulous and my favorite among Ifukube's entire career. It mixes in great new versions of his old themes as well as creating absolutely riveting themes for Baby Godzilla and Mechagodzilla. In my opinion, the pacing isn't so bad for this film either. Its plot carries itself at a brisk pace, and the characters are likable enough to make the almost 110-minute runtime bearable when kaiju aren't on-screen.

Now, Miki once again provides nothing substantial to the story, although her role is more expansive than King Ghidorah and Mothra...combined. Also, Rodan, despite his interesting new look, is given a really pathetic role here. For one of the Showa era's most popular creations, he definitely has no justice given to his character here.

Still, it's hands-down my favorite Heisei film and the highlight of Takao Okawara's career. It's a shame the Heisei series took a steep turn after this, since I honestly believe this is a entertaining film. Maybe the Heisei series would've been better off ending after this entry as originally planned.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I find it really boring. The only positive I can think of is Ifukube's music.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Arrow wrote:Her character isn't used well, and I'd blame that on Omori's writing.
Actually, the film was written by Wataru Mimura. Probably why I can actually stomach the writing in this film, and why it didn't use its dinosaur-focused story as an opportunity to rip-off Jurassic Park. ;)

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:Actually, the film was written by Wataru Mimura.
You're right. I'll have to fix that.

My point still stands.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I'm a Heisei fanboy... so of course I like this movie. I like the introduction of Godzilla's son. I like the designs of every monster in it. It's cool that Rodan was in it and I LOVE his design, but he's just too stiff. I love the epic transfer of power from the dying Fire Rodan to Godzilla... for the first time ever enabling his Spiral Ray. My only real complaint is that they could have done a little better on Mechagodzilla's design. It's too... round. I like the jagged feature of the original and Kiryu better. All in all, a good movie.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G1 Startruck Jonez
Interpol Agent

Post by G1 Startruck Jonez »

Legion1979 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:This topic should be called GvsMG2 since that's the official title that Toho give the movie.
I'd actually prefer it if people avoided using that title. Is it official? Yes. Does it make any effin' sense? No.
Especially because technically its the 3rd Mechagodzilla movie. Yeah, I hate the GvsMG2 title.
Geek Culture for the Geek in us all - https://www.facebook.com/G1and2
Become a fan.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Hellspawn28 wrote:This topic should be called GvsMG2 since that's the official title that Toho give the movie.
That's the U.S. Title. The International title is Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

Well, the number "3" is part of Kiryu's official designation, even though it was the first Mechagodzilla built as far as its movies are concerned. You could think of the "II" for this Mechagodzilla the same way. I don't mind getting a little meta here... it's simpler to say "Mechagodzilla II" than "the Mechagodzilla that G-Force built." It may not be the most logical name for the people within the Heisei series to choose, but I think it makes sense as both the title of the film (the second of three named Godzilla vs./Tai/Against/x Mechagodzilla) and the name of the mech (the second concept of Mechagodzilla that Toho thought up).

Anyway, this is my favorite of the Heisei series. I actually like the quality Arrow mentioned, where both sides are presented somewhat sympathetically instead of one being flowers & love and the other pure dagnasty evil. I also like how this Mechagodzilla lets humans fight Godzilla as personally and on as equal footing as possible (though it was really Mecha-King Ghidorah that did this first in the movies).
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

My old review, which failed to mention the faceless characters and the silly Rodan puppet:

Godzilla wanders out of a Mothra movie and into a Super Sentai (or Power Rangers, if you prefer) episode. So, so dull; arguably the worst Heisei Godzilla film in terms of entertainment value. MechaG looks like a mechanical duck, and the general concept of this incarnation is handled much better in the Millennium series with Kiryu.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

Toxic Toast wrote:
Anyway, this is my favorite of the Heisei series. I actually like the quality Arrow mentioned, where both sides are presented somewhat sympathetically instead of one being flowers & love and the other pure dagnasty evil. I also like how this Mechagodzilla lets humans fight Godzilla as personally and on as equal footing as possible (though it was really Mecha-King Ghidorah that did this first in the movies).
This. I like that neither Godzilla nor the humans are all good or bad. Shades of gray. Godzilla does cause some massive destruction, but he was looking for his kid that was jacked by some greedy/curious humans. Miki winced when it came time to fire the G-Crusher because she knew deep down that it was a terrible thing to do. I think this movie fits well with Honda's quote that a monster is a monster because he was born too big, too ugly, etc... imo, the top brass at G-Force probably appeared the most villainous throughout the film.

After some reflection, I'd say that this is my favorite Mechagodzilla film, just edging out Terror of Mechagodzilla. As for the general series, I'd say that this has some of the best pacing. It didn't make us wait long for the monsters and it spaced the action sequences out well. I liked pretty much all the fights in the film. I don't even mind Godzilla being...stockier...in comparision to his leaner appearences in prior films. Tiny Rodan gets flack, but I like him. He's a tough, determined little bugger and he gives the other monsters some fine fights. Also, Rodan's revival of Godzilla is a great scene that calls to mind their friendship in the original series. This is also my favorite version of Mechagodzilla probably: in '74, he was an evil robot, in '02 he was a superhero robot...here he's just a cold, emotionaless, neutral implement of destruction. I also like how he evolved out of Mecha King Ghidorah AND the Super X series. Human character-wise, I liked the gawky lead (a descendent of Tatsuo (sp?) from Astro-Monster, i think, and a character that would be resurrected somewhat in the Millenium films) and I'd count this as one of Miki's best appearences, along with Biollante and Destroyah. Everyone else was fine, but not particularly memorable. The absence of annoying children and tacky monologues (a big problem in the Millenium series) helps. The "cosmos" cameo was great. Overall, I like the story a lot and would it consider it one of my favorites.

A few scant complaints: Baby Godzilla movies too much like a guy in a suit at times and is obviously one of Toho's more cynical marketing constructs. That said, I think his character was well written and a great way to introduce a "minya" into the 90s films. Also, while I don't mind G-Force piloting Mechagodzilla personally, it does reek of Power Rangers.

Probably a Top 10 for me and, imo, the unsung hightlight of the 90s films.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

My 2nd favorite Heisei Godzilla film (only surpassed by GvKG). I love the final battle and the start of the bond between Godzilla and Baby Godzilla. Also the Heisei era had my favorite version of Godzilla and is the most powerful one too (besides Meltdown which is the same creature).
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

Godzilla's suit is bulky, but at-least his beam effects are better then the last film. Baby Godzilla is a neat creation, but a little rubbery. Rodan looks nice, but is executed poorly. Mechagodzilla looks good and bad. His face is bad, but Super Mechagodzilla looks very cool. The score is nice. There's pretty good pacing. The human plot is terrible. The human characters are terrible. Overall, a step down from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, but a step up from Godzilla vs. Mothra. 3.5/5
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

I love this one. probably my favorite of the heisei movies outside of Godzilla 1984. It's too bad Ishiro Honda died right before he was slated to direct this one.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

Dash 7 wrote:I love this one. probably my favorite of the heisei movies outside of Godzilla 1984. It's too bad Ishiro Honda died right before he was slated to direct this one.
Man, Honda directing a 90s Godzilla film would have been great.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

HedorahLives wrote:
Dash 7 wrote:I love this one. probably my favorite of the heisei movies outside of Godzilla 1984. It's too bad Ishiro Honda died right before he was slated to direct this one.
Man, Honda directing a 90s Godzilla film would have been great.
With Shinji Higuchi doing spfx.