why did they change Godzilla's roar?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Goji95
Ronin

why did they change Godzilla's roar?

Post by Goji95 »

From The return of Godzilla through till Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla has a deep, growly roar. However, in Godzilla vs Mothra, he reverted to a more high pitched roar again. I love both roars, don't get me wrong, I'm just curious as to why they changed the roar.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: why did they change Godzilla's roar?

Post by SpaceG92 »

Didn't he still have a deep roar in a few shots in Battle for Earth? Can't remember, I think it had to due with Godzilla becoming a "anti-hero" and a "force of nature" so making his deep threatening roar into a higher less threatening roar would reflect the change. At least that's my theory. I do like the goobwobblers (Thank you TKT for this epic line) shot theory.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

SpaceG92 wrote:Didn't he still have a deep roar in a few shots in Battle for Earth? Can't remember, I think it had to due with Godzilla becoming a "anti-hero" and a "force of nature" so making his deep threatening roar into a higher less threatening roar would reflect the change. At least that's my theory. I do like the goobwobblers (Thank you TKT for this epic line) shot theory.
Pretty sure you are correct.

I like the villainous, threatening roar.

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

I think Toho changed the roar because they wanted to give godzilla more vocal inflection rather than just the same sound over and over again. It was a valid attempt but I think in the end it sounded too artificial...a little too electronic. However I have to give credit where credit is due because by the Millenium films Godzilla's roar made him sound like a living breathing creature. Toho ended up fine tuning it just enough to make it sound absolutely flawless. Plus Godzilla now had a whole range of sounds from a simple bellow to a full blown roar.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Count me in as a bigger fan of the 80's/'91 Godzilla roar. Even as a kid, I was disappointed by the change.

At least that stupid laser sound effect for Godzilla's ray was only present in VS. MOTHRA. God that was awful..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Goji wrote:At least that stupid laser sound effect for Godzilla's ray was only present in VS. MOTHRA. God that was awful..
I always forget about that (or block it from my memory?), and then when I watch the movie it pisses me off anew each time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Goji wrote:Count me in as a bigger fan of the 80's/'91 Godzilla roar. Even as a kid, I was disappointed by the change.

At least that stupid laser sound effect for Godzilla's ray was only present in VS. MOTHRA. God that was awful..
They brought it back for the Micro Oxygen Ray too, I believe.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Goji wrote:Count me in as a bigger fan of the 80's/'91 Godzilla roar. Even as a kid, I was disappointed by the change.

They brought it back for the Micro Oxygen Ray too, I believe.
I remember the Micro Oxygen Ray having a fuller, less whiny sound, but maybe my memory is just sugar coating it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

The two are definitely similar, if I recall; but of course the Micro Oxygen ray sounded much more intimidating.

Goji95
Ronin

Post by Goji95 »

Am I the only one who wasn't that bothered by the atomic breath sound effect in vs. Mothra. I prefer the usual sound effect, don't get me wrong, but it didn't bug me too much.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

I'm not bothered much. People nitpick too much.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Always the comedian. ;-)

The heat ray sound effect doesn't distract me THAT much; but it still sounds bad, and is noticeable enough that of course it will warrant attention.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Chris55 wrote:
MeltdownKoopa wrote:I'm not bothered much. People nitpick too much.
I don't like how Trypticon is standing in your avatar. He shouldn't be slouching so much. This water is too cold. I shouldn't put so much ice in.
What the heck is a Trypticon?
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This is Godzilla's atomic ray sound effect, people. That's not something you just screw up. If it sucks, you better believe it's going to get some flak. 'Nitpicking'... :roll: And you call yourselves fans...

On-topic, the roar change also annoyed me. I love the '84-'91 roar, but the higher-pitched one didn't suit Heisei G well at all.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nobody ever gives the sound the department - in production or in post - the respect that they deserve. When their work is good, it elevates the material in ways the audience never realizes. When the work - whether through their own misjudgment, or their following a dictate from above which runs counter to their own judgment...

...well, after all, the picking of nits is of hygienic value, is in not?

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

JAGzilla wrote:This is Godzilla's atomic ray sound effect, people. That's not something you just screw up. If it sucks, you better believe it's going to get some flak. 'Nitpicking'... :roll: And you call yourselves fans...

On-topic, the roar change also annoyed me. I love the '84-'91 roar, but the higher-pitched one didn't suit Heisei G well at all.
You don't screw up Godzilla's metaphor and make him childish like in the 70's movies. People like the 70's movies and are fine with them yet they complain about his breath?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MeltdownKoopa wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:This is Godzilla's atomic ray sound effect, people. That's not something you just screw up. If it sucks, you better believe it's going to get some flak. 'Nitpicking'... :roll: And you call yourselves fans...

You don't screw up Godzilla's metaphor and make him childish like in the 70's movies. People like the 70's movies and are fine with them yet they complain about his breath?
Lots of us have issues with the handling of Godzilla in the seventies. I'd gladly participate in a thread (or threads) about periods during which the series has in various sense lost its thematic way.

This thread is about Godzilla's roar. Just because we care about that doesn't mean that we don't care about anything else.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's funny how TK is literally the only place where I see such a gross misunderstanding of the characterization of the 70's Godzilla. I'm not talking about the quality of the films either. I'm talking about how people literally do not understand (or process) that the character evolved because he was catered to a different audience during the time. Apparently, this is impossible for your average middle/high schooler to comprehend.

Opening the old and rotten can of worms that is "da godzilla 70's movees are so cheesy" is something that almost always ends in backlash, and it's kind of ironic when the culprits try to defends movies that are generally even more ill-received (GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA '92, MECHAGODZILLA '93, SPACEOGODZILLA) than most of the 70's entries.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

^ Except it's not ironic because VS MOTHRA and VS MECHAGODZILLA '93 aren't childish and are considered better than the 70's films. ( save TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA )

Sure Godzilla evolved to entertain children but his character basically justified nuclear weapons, some thing that goes against his purpose. At least he was still a threat/ force of nature in the Heisei and Millennium series. Even Final Wars presented him better.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

MeltdownKoopa wrote:^ Except it's not ironic because VS MOTHRA and VS MECHAGODZILLA '93 aren't childish and are considered better than the 70's films. ( save TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA )

Sure Godzilla evolved to entertain children but his character basically justified nuclear weapons, some thing that goes against his purpose. At least he was still a threat/ force of nature in the Heisei and Millennium series. Even Final Wars presented him better.
Don't keep telling this stuff to them. I gave up sometime ago.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1