Godzilla 3D SCRIPT

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Godzilla 3D SCRIPT

Post by cloverfan98 »

ProfessorBeats wrote:I know this is stupid, but I need some help. Someone said earlier in this thread that the G94 script is kickin around out there? Might I know where I can I find it?
Here ya go! Enjoy!

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/GODZILLA.TXT

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I've seen the script. And it loks more like a Harryhousen movie than a Toho movie. And Godzilla getting killed by missels and having a bond with a 13 year old boy... is dosen't seem laike a Godzilla movie. Though it is still superior to GINO, I'd rather see the 1994 american remake. There was supposed to make a Rodan 3D afterwards, and I think that the plot would of been better for that movie.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

ProfessorBeats
GPN Volunteer

Post by ProfessorBeats »

cloverfan98 wrote:
ProfessorBeats wrote:I know this is stupid, but I need some help. Someone said earlier in this thread that the G94 script is kickin around out there? Might I know where I can I find it?
Here ya go! Enjoy!

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/GODZILLA.TXT
Thank you so much! I can't wait to read both of these!
Agent of Seatopia

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

The Script was fun to read. So 80s! XD
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Sorry for necroposting, but im reviving this thread because more people need to read this script.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Mr.Negativity
Yojimbo

Godzilla 1983

Post by Mr.Negativity »

AICN
MondoCon releases amazing sounding panel, print and LP details!
Quint wrote: The panel I'm the most looking forward to is William Stout's panel on the 1983 Godzilla film that never was. Stout did a bunch of storyboard and design work on this film that have never been seen before, but at this panel he'll be showing off a ton of it and talking about the movie never came to be.

MondoCon 2014: Panels, Screenings, Exclusives and More!
JUSTIN BROOKHART wrote: Godzilla 1983
Panelist: William Stout

Long before Gareth Edwards and even Roland Emmerich took on the iconic monster, Godzilla was set to make landfall on American soil, but it wasn’t his time. Writer Fred Dekker, FX artist Rick Baker and conceptual artist William Stout were just some of the big names involved in an early attempt at a US-produced feature film in the 1980s that few were even aware existed until now.

Artist William Stout will take the audience through the entire feature film with over one hundred storyboards and conceptual art designs that he created along with Dave Stevens (creator of The Rocketeer) and Doug Widley (creator of Johnny Quest)

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla 1983

Post by G2000 »

Mr.Negativity wrote:AICN
MondoCon releases amazing sounding panel, print and LP details!
Quint wrote: The panel I'm the most looking forward to is William Stout's panel on the 1983 Godzilla film that never was. Stout did a bunch of storyboard and design work on this film that have never been seen before, but at this panel he'll be showing off a ton of it and talking about the movie never came to be.

MondoCon 2014: Panels, Screenings, Exclusives and More!
JUSTIN BROOKHART wrote: Godzilla 1983
Panelist: William Stout

Long before Gareth Edwards and even Roland Emmerich took on the iconic monster, Godzilla was set to make landfall on American soil, but it wasn’t his time. Writer Fred Dekker, FX artist Rick Baker and conceptual artist William Stout were just some of the big names involved in an early attempt at a US-produced feature film in the 1980s that few were even aware existed until now.

Artist William Stout will take the audience through the entire feature film with over one hundred storyboards and conceptual art designs that he created along with Dave Stevens (creator of The Rocketeer) and Doug Widley (creator of Johnny Quest)
Holy shit, when is this?

MechaG75
Young Farmer

Post by MechaG75 »

I was wondering to ask if anyone has a later drafts of the script than this first draft revised, I do in fact have a undated third draft with a page missing (p. 101).

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

I actually have a copy and i can send you one if you want it.
Rest in Peace Victoria

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I'd like to see this script too.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojirO wrote:I actually have a copy and i can send you one if you want it.
If you actually have it that would be a blast. Please send!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I made a Dropbox folder containing all the American Godzilla scripts so far. It's got Godzilla KOTM 3D, Godzilla 1994, Godzilla 1998, and Godzilla 2 Script Treatment.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mw2pf52esymk ... n4j8a?dl=0

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

cloverfan98 wrote:I made a Dropbox folder containing all the American Godzilla scripts so far. It's got Godzilla KOTM 3D, Godzilla 1994, Godzilla 1998, and Godzilla 2 Script Treatment.

What's the difference between the December 94 draft and the November 95 draft?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:I made a Dropbox folder containing all the American Godzilla scripts so far. It's got Godzilla KOTM 3D, Godzilla 1994, Godzilla 1998, and Godzilla 2 Script Treatment.

I haven't read them both so I don't know for sure, but the 94 one is a basic text pdf but the 95 looks to be a direct scan of the script pages from 95.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

cloverfan98 wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:

I haven't read them both so I don't know for sure, but the 94 one is a basic text pdf but the 95 looks to be a direct scan of the script pages from 95.
Ok

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

cloverfan98 wrote:I haven't read them both so I don't know for sure, but the 94 one is a basic text pdf but the 95 looks to be a direct scan of the script pages from 95.
Just went through; the overall plot is mostly the same thing, but there are minor differences (mostly regarding effects scenes). Notably, the battle between Godzilla and the military in San Francisco is toned down, while the kickass naval battle is excised entirely. The final battle between Godzilla and the Gryphon have also been toned down somewhat, with less urban destruction than the original 1994 script. The scene with three fishing boats is merged with the cruise ship scene so that Godzilla capsizes the cruise ship. Some of the Probe Bat sequences are changed (for example, there is a new bit where Fleer discovers his favorite horse dismembered and impaled on a tree instead of the bit where they kill a mountain lion, and while the church massacre is still there it's changed from being a fully packed morning service and all the horrors that implies to a nighttime service attended by "about a dozen people".)

Pike also seems to have been given more lines in an attempt to make him more of an asshole than in the original draft. He's portrayed as mocking animal rights groups, he clashes with the reasonable Admiral Benedek in an attempt to gain control of the St. George Project, he insults Aaron to his face, etc. Most notably he is present at the scene where Marty morphs into an alien, and he repeatedly states that he finds Marty's new form so ugly that he wants to kill it ("If it had a plug I'd have pulled it by now.") Fleer, meanwhile, has been made into more of a comic relief figure: there's a funny bit where he arrives in New York during the final battle and sees the Statue of Liberty, causing him to remark warmly about how he always loved Lady Liberty and had a grandpa who came through Ellis Island. Right after he says that the Gryphon picks the statue up off it's mounts and throws it to the ground, destroying it; turning to Admiral Benedek, Fleer says "You know what? We should kill that thing."

There's a cheesy bit at the very end where after the protagonists convince the military to call off the airstrike on Godzilla the turbulence created by the jets breaking off nearly causes the helicopter to crash, but Godzilla catches them and saves them.

A brief note: some of the pages (mostly in the 70s and 80s) are out of order.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Interview with 3D's co-writer, Fred Dekker, on the flick.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/354 ... wrote-80s/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Mechagoji75
Young Farmer

Post by Mechagoji75 »

Well, I was able to scan the third draft, and here it is where you can download it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4xomj73wb ... can%5D.pdf

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Mechagoji75 wrote:Well, I was able to scan the third draft, and here it is where you can download it:
Any different from the other drafts?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Mechagoji75 wrote:Well, I was able to scan the third draft, and here it is where you can download it:
Any different from the other drafts?
Yeah, this seems to be the draft that Ryfle based his article in Japan's Favorite Mon-Star on. I reccomend reading them both to compare and contrast. So far there have mostly been minor differences
- the satellite-launched nuclear missile in the film's opening scene is not intercepted like in the other draft, but instead crashes in the ocean on it's own accord
- Daxton picks his son Kevin up from school instead of his ex-wife picking him up and dropping him off and the bullying against the son is more severe (they actually try to kill his pet lizard before Daxton shows up)
- Godzilla gets a chance to look a bit more curious during the oil rig scene
- The main difference so far that the film begins with something that Steve Ryfle's write-up described but was absent from other drafts: a damaged freighter washes up on the California shore. The young reporter character Dana Martin sneaks past Coast Guardsmen to get on board and is startled by a severely burned and mutated Japanese crewman who mutters "Gojira" before dying.

I'll write more as I go on. IIRC though in the other draft the paleontologist Balinger is the one who kills Godzilla by firing the Russian missile down his throat, and if this is the one Ryfle described the kid, Kevin, is actually the one who is made to fire the missile and kill Godzilla

EDIT:
- The Soviet anti-fission missiles are not called "Dragons" anymore; in this draft they are referred to as "SAGARs."
- Daxton's ex-wife/Kevin's mom is not a character in this draft and is apparently dead. Daxton is raising Kevin as a single father.
- There is some conflict between Daxton and Kevin. Kevin wants to tag along with Daxton on missions and "not be treated like such a kid" while Daxton just wants to keep him safe. The root source of their conflict seems to be the fact that Daxton is often not home due to his being a Badass CIA Covert Operator as well as both dealing with the death of Kevin's mom.
- there's a new scene where Kevin flirts with a pretty girl from class in an arcade that he had previously been unable to approach. The bullies from before show up and try to humiliate them but he one-ups them and winds up humiliating the head bully instead, impressing the pretty girl. With the exception
- the helicopter pilot from the earlier draft is also excised. Daxton takes over his role; he used to fly helicopters for the CIA before Kryuchkov took his eye in Berlin. He still works as a badass CIA covert operator, but his only having one eye precludes him from flying until the climax, when he pilots the S-78 against Godzilla
- As a result of neither Kevin's mom nor helicopter guy the weird double love triangle from the earlier draft (Balinger/Dana/Helicopter guy, Daxton/ex-wife/Balinger) is also cut. There is still a romantic air to Balinger and Dana's relationship, and they ultimately have a big smooching scene
- there's a running joke where Dana uses the same trick three times to sneak into secured locations - she tears her blouse, musses her hair, and acts like she was just mugged and that the attacker has run off with her purse. The guard then runs off to catch the "mugger" while she sneaks in. The final time she tries doing it to a black guard (who she had previously tried to do it on) who laughs and asks "do I look like a sucker?" - only for Balinger to sneak up behind him and steal his sidearm, which he uses to threaten the guard into let them in
- maybe it's just me but it seems like the Soviet spy subplot is somewhat toned down from the previous draft. Kryuchkov and his KGB goons are all still there, but it seems as if they have a tad fewer scenes/screentime
- Godzilla still incinerates Kryuchkov but does not eat his skeleton; my guess is this is after Toho read the first draft and told Dekker and Miner that Godzilla could not be shown eating people
- yep, Kevin is the one who kills Godzilla this time. He takes advantage of some confusion after Godzilla's breath causes an explosion and causes the first gunner to fall out; Kevin promptly jumps in just as the helicopter takes off, leaving the original gunner standing on the ground with nothing to do
- Kevin's "friendship" with Godzilla seems toned down from the first draft; while he does show some sympathy for Godzilla he seems much more eager to kill him than in the first draft. For his part, the part where Godzilla and Kevin share a brief face to face scene is retained and he is described as looking "concerned" when he sees Kryuchkov threatening Kevin.
- A brief note: the scene where Kevin actually fires the missile down Godzilla's throat is absent from the script - the script is be missing page 101, where the scene seems to have taken place.
- Kevin is knocked from the helicopter after firing the SAGAR missile down Godzilla's throat, but is caught by Godzilla. It's not entirely clear if Godzilla was trying to save the boy, if he is trying to kill him, or if he is merely spasming in his death throes, but given some of the earlier details I would guess the implication is that he is saving him.

Ultimately this version seems as if it was an attempt to "trim the fat" of the first draft and put a greater focus on Godzilla and his rampage, and I think that they succeeded to an extent. There are still a number of flaws, but it's an improvement over the first draft in some regards.

King of The Monsters /Godzilla vs Kong spoilers (I'm not just trying to spam them across the board, I have a point here):
Spoiler:
Given what we know about the ending of King of the Monsters, I can't help but feel that we might see something similar to the relationship shown in this particular draft between Daxton and Kevin develop between Mark Russell (Kyle Chandler) and his daughter Madison (Millie Bobby Brown) in Godzilla vs Kong. Like Daxton and Kevin, Mark and Madison are dealing with the loss of their wife and mother, respectively (albeit much more recently). After the events of KoTM (as well as having already lost a child during the events of G2014), I can easily see Russell trying to do his best to make sure his daughter has a safe and normal life, just as hardened veteran Daxton does for his son. And like Kevin lashes out against his "overprotective" dad and tries desperately to tag along on missions, I could easily see Madison - raised by her mother after the divorce, and as a result was taken along on numerous MONARCH missions/research expeditions - rebelling against her own "overprotective" father, who refuses to let her continue to tag along on official MONARCH business on the grounds that she nearly died the last time.

Not saying that's what I expect to happen, but it would be nice if they really did actually take the time to explore the characters and how they might develop in response to the events of the previous film.
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.