Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu May 23, 2019 9:17 am

I also like this film more than GTTHM and Monster Zero.

My favorite interpretation of Ghidorah remains the one from Rebirth of Mothra III however.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 am

Is the existence of Steven Spielberg canon to the Heisei Series?

Why does Godzilla sound like Gamera in dinosaur form?

Has anybody noticed around the 54.00 min mark the sign on the door. It says Super Scientific Play-Room.

It's the dialogue scene right before M-11's chase scene on the street.

Poor choice of sign by a Non-English speaking set designer?

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:23 am

Gojirawars 03 wrote:God, this feels like it'll be harder to say than coming out as gay to strict, southern, Christian parents...
Well, here goes...

This is my favorite incarnation of Ghidorah.

Don't @ me, Showa super-fans

While I wouldn't rate this movie's version of Ghidorah the best, I do think it is the best film he's been in, save for maybe GMK.

And I'd like to clear up one little misconception some people have with the ending: some people think Mecha King Ghidorah beat Godzilla in the final battle... no he didn't. Godzilla actually got the last hit during that fight via his atomic breath, sending them both to the ocean and in the end credits scene, Godzilla is shown being the only survivor. Sure MKG carried Godzilla away, but that doesn't in any way denote a win. Godzilla got the last hit during that fight and survived the fall while MKG didn't. He won (again), I don't get why some people think it's more complicated than that.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat May 25, 2019 8:29 am

KManX89 wrote:Sure MKG carried Godzilla away, but that doesn't in any way denote a win.

Yes it does, that was literally the entire goal of the fight. To get Godzilla out of Tokyo before he destroyed it entirely.

MKG won. Godzilla survived the battle but he’s at the bottom of the ocean now. He lost. Emmy survived and went back to the future. She won.

I wish people would stop treating these films’ fights as UFC bouts and start treating them as the narrative devices they really are.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat May 25, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun May 26, 2019 1:10 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Sure MKG carried Godzilla away, but that doesn't in any way denote a win.

Yes it does, that was literally the entire goal of the fight. To get Godzilla out of Tokyo before he destroyed it entirely.

MKG won. Godzilla survived the battle but he’s at the bottom of the ocean now. He lost. Emmy survived and went back to the future. She won.

I wish people would stop treating these films’ fights as UFC bouts and start treating them as the narrative devices they really are.

Seconded. Godzilla's goal was to continue destroying Tokyo, Emmy's goal was to end Godzilla's rampage. At the end of the fight, Godzilla is miles away from Tokyo and unable to do any further damage, so he can no longer achieve his goal, while Emmy already has achieved hers. That makes this a crystal clear, indisputable win for Emmy.

EDIT: Well... okay, this does admittedly depend on the question that's being asked. If we're asking who the story of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah treated as the winner, then yes, it's clearly MKG/Emmy. But if we're just asking who won in a story-free, to-the-death fantasy match-fuel vacuum, we can say that Godzilla demonstrated the durability to shrug off MKG's weaponry and offensive power sufficient to kill MKG (as evidenced by MKG's death), while MKG merely demonstrated the ability to stun or briefly incapacitate Godzilla, and proved highly vulnerable to Godzilla's atomic ray. So Godzilla is the winner from that point of view.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun May 26, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:45 am

Was thinking about this the past few days, not only did the 90's Gamera Trilogy do a better job of playing with the trope of a young woman having a psychic connection with a giant monster than the Heisei Godzilla films, but even Mr. Shindo had a more meaningful connection with Godzilla than Miki and he get's killed by him in a rain of blue hellfire.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:02 am

Living Corpse wrote:Was thinking about this the past few days, not only did the 90's Gamera Trilogy do a better job of playing with the trope of a young woman having a psychic connection with a giant monster than the Heisei Godzilla films, but even Mr. Shindo had a more meaningful connection with Godzilla than Miki and he get's killed by him in a rain of blue hellfire.

Yeah, Miki doesn't do much besides appear in a couple films just to say Godzilla is arriving.

Godzilla and the Human Vapor staring off is a highlight, with a much tighter script it might've been even better.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Omegazilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegazilla » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:58 pm

I like this movie despite it's unorthodox narrative and different take on Ghidorah. However it introduced a very key element to the Heisei series and Godzilla at large, and that is supercharging Godzilla. This movie I believe set in motion the modern Heisei Godzilla we all know and love that seems to still be one of the most iconic designs. It is finally good to see Ghidorah not be a mindless space monster and be a genetically engineered mutated bioweapon instead. Ghidorah being a planet destroyed in the Showa series yet being controlled by all these different aliens just never sat right with me. Mecha-King Ghidorah is also nice as well.

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”