Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Post by Legion1979 »

Outside the opening Godzilla theme, the requiem and the closing credits, I don't think the Destroyah score is anything special. Personally, I find Destroyah's theme to be obnoxious.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Legion1979 wrote:Outside the opening Godzilla theme, the requiem and the closing credits, I don't think the Destroyah score is anything special. Personally, I find Destroyah's theme to be obnoxious.
i don't even remember it, so i guess it wasn't all that great (referring to Destroyah's score).
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's a little of the Baragon theme, a little of the Ghidorah theme and lots of overly dramatic horn bursts.

BUM BUM BUM BUM!! BUM BUM BUM BUM!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Rodan wrote:
three wrote:so you caught those political undertones as well, hmm? i think i had a discussion with Rodan (back when he posted) and we didn't agree on it. he didn't believe it was necessarily there, and i maintained it was. either way. glad to see that someone else has a sharp eye on things like that.
Wait, what? That doesn't sound like me. This movie is super political, and I love it for it.

Maybe it was a really early post of mine? I know there was a time way back when when I wasn't as keen on it. Maybe I just didn't think it was doing it well. Or maybe it was Biollante, because that I don't have very fond feelings toward.
very early. i don't believe the post actually exists anymore, since the old topic bit the bullet.

you also said something about, "the ability of the franchise to function on those two levels is why i love it", or something like that. it was in regard to this movie being both kind of silly/not so serious, and yet operating at a different frequency (and being very serious, for example: the Shindo stuff you're talking about).
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

three wrote:you also said something about, "the ability of the franchise to function on those two levels is why i love it", or something like that. it was in regard to this movie being both kind of silly/not so serious, and yet operating at a different frequency (and being very serious, for example: the Shindo stuff you're talking about).
That one still exists and is in the Shindo thread. I found it when I was looking for the longer post.
Rodan wrote:It's not an either/or. This movie, like the best of Toho's '60s output, has something to say, but it's not above saying it through a simple, metaphorical plot indulging in silly giant monsters and '60s-style sci-fi excess (replacing aliens and flying saucers with the time travelers, for example).

The ability to operate on those two levels is my favorite thing about the Godzilla series, hands down.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote:It's a little of the Baragon theme, a little of the Ghidorah theme and lots of overly dramatic horn bursts.

Actually, no. Destoroyah's theme is a reused track heard earlier throughout the series. A track used in GvKG, for example, as the theme for the Futurians.

https://youtu.be/rN6HfVRNQNM?t=40s

https://youtu.be/yOavf2kans4?t=1m2s

I know I've heard the theme crop up in at least one Showa movie too, but I don't remember which. Have to do some digging.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:It's a little of the Baragon theme, a little of the Ghidorah theme and lots of overly dramatic horn bursts.

Actually, no. Destoroyah's theme is a reused track heard earlier throughout the series. A track used in GvKG, for example, as the theme for the Futurians.

https://youtu.be/rN6HfVRNQNM?t=40s

https://youtu.be/yOavf2kans4?t=1m2s

I know I've heard the theme crop up in at least one Showa movie too, but I don't remember which. Have to do some digging.
Well I know, but I was just using the Ghidorah theme as one example. Both parts of the Destroyah theme are motifs Ifukube used often.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Not quite. Ifukube sort of referenced other tracks in later scores, and with Destoroyah is no exception. You can kind of discern the references to previous works.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I am incredibly biased towards the Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah soundtrack. I bought it back in early 90s on CD, and payed way to much to get it. I loved it and listen to it endlessly, it was my first Akira Ifukube soundtrack I owned. While his later soundtracks were still good, I heard many of the themes being reused or modified. I am sure if I listened to many of his Showa soundtracks I would hear many of the themes I identify with GVKG soundtrack being used. I am not talking just Godzilla and King Ghidorah theme, those I know are redone. But themes like Android M-11 https://youtu.be/FUH4hnJP2x8

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

szmigiel wrote:But themes like Android M-11 https://youtu.be/FUH4hnJP2x8

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Space Hunter M wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwbgZudcJs
I thought so, I do need to listen to more of his Showa soundtracks.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

He did some really great work on the Zatoichi series if you're ever interested in checking those out. His style is very recognizable, although I have to admit, it was a bit weird hearing his music in a non-tokusatsu film.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I just watched the 1963 version of 13 Assassins and it was a very noticeable Akira Ifukube score.
Also been watching the Zatoichi films which has done the score for.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Space Hunter M wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwbgZudcJs

Pretty much. Nice find, dude.

As you can hear and discern, Ifukube did that with most of his later works, and this is no exception. Really cool. :)
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I have a interesting relationship with this movie. my opinion on it changes radically upon every viewing I can like it one time and than hate it on the second I currently dislike it.
Godzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The movie did some things right and some wrong. That's why people are so-so with this movie and it goes back and forth in preferences.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Two big Problems I have with the movie are.

When the Futurians tell the Japanese Government that Godzilla will rise from the ocean in the 20th Century having finally burned away all of the bacteria and destroy Japan they react with "would Godzilla do this to us?". it doesn't make sense because all Godzilla has done in this continuity has been destruction, obviously they were going for shock but it's a pretty unrealistic and monotone reaction after you have heard you're entire civilization and that of all of Japan will be completely wiped out in just less than a decade.

Why the hell does everybody forget about the Helicopters?! I mean after it explodes we hear a News Report on it and after that nothing it's completely forgotten and never brought up again why did they even blow up the copters in the first place?
Godzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Continuity issues, most likely.

On the second part, no clue. Then again, this movie has good and bad.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Continuity issues, most likely.

On the second part, no clue. Then again, this movie has good and bad.
Continuity issue either way. it's a absolutely terrible thing that happens in the movie you can't just show something and than be like "nope it never happened" it would be like showing the earth exploding not in a dream or simulation but actually happening right now at this very second and than be like "nope". it's a complete and total jarring experience especially since that's how they find the ship.

Their reaction is still terrible.
Godzilla

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I wish KG hadn't been killed off until the end, and MKG was in Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth. Like, have Mothra and Battra lose the fight, and then MKG comes in and starts beating Godzilla.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!