Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Rallen16229
Yojimbo

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Post by Rallen16229 »

This is personally my second favorite in the whole franchise right behind the original! It has some of the best fight scenes and features the return of King fucking Ghidorah! People constantly criticize this film for the time travel, ripping off Terminator and the Godzillasaurus Vs. the US army scenes. The Time Travel complaint I used to agree with because the English Dub screws up the explanation and leaves audiences everywhere, including me, confused as all hell but the real explanation is actually pretty tightly written for a time travel story-line! Assuming that there has always been one Godzilla, which there hasn't, and going back in time to un-create the second Godzilla but instead creating a self-realizing prophecy where the Futurians are the ones who created the second Godzilla in the first place and they never changed history at all is pretty clever and a lot better than whatever the poorly translated English dialogue seemed to imply! As far as ripping off the Terminator goes, yeah it is....but Godzilla films have always done this! The Apes in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, parts of Invasion of the Astro Monster and of course Godzilla himself seems to be is directly inspired by The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, those are just the first that come to mind! Yes, it's silly and hilarious but that's kind of the fun of it! As far as the WWII scenes, yes I will agree they are very nationalistic and a bit jingoistic at times. However, It's no worse than some of the ways we treat enemies we've fought who are currently allies now in our films like Pearl Harbor ,where Bay literally was rewriting history to make the Japanese fire on US hospitals in Hawaii when they never actually did etc. It wasn't right there and it's not right here, but my only point is that some of our films are no better for it! Overall as a "Godzilla film", I give it a 9/10 because the monster battles and effects make up for any shortcomings in my opinion
Creator of "Daikaiju Showdown" Fan Card Game

[border]Opinions are Like Assholes, Everyone's got em and they all stink!![/border]

[border]日本語の勉強中です!!!!
東宝王国の皆さん、頑張ってね!!! :)
[/border]

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

Despite the flaws that this film has, I can never really bring myself to dislike or consider this one a guilty pleasure. It's just a really fun entry in the franchise.

Though, I will say, with the Heisei Godzilla films as a whole, I kinda think that this one should've been the last entry for the Heisei series. The human race has exhausted all major ways of getting rid of Godzilla by the end of this film. Kill him with a force of nature? Done in 84. Still came back. Biological warfare? Done in 89, still alive and kicking. Go back in time to try to prevent his creation? End up creating a larger, more powerful Godzilla. They even tried the giant anti-Godzilla robot with this one as well, with technology from the 23rd century. If that doesn't stop him, then nothing will. (It also didn't help that the rest of the Heisei series just seemed to really drop in quality after this one).
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

cakefactory
Ronin

Post by cakefactory »

This was my favorite one through my later childhood. I think part of it was that I heard about the Heisei films for the first time right before Godzilla Vs Destroyer (as it was called at the time!) released, when I saw Godzilla's face on a "Video Watchdog" magazine when I was browsing a store as a 10 year old. When I finally managed to acquire tapes through illicit means, my mind was kinda blown. Especially since these new versions of critters were clearly what the Trendmasters toys were modelled after!

Anyway, King Ghidorah was my favorite of the batch. The plot was so wild and ambitious, and it was both really fun and with some serious stuff that worked on 10 year old me. I always loved the terrible running shots of the TerminaI MEAN, M-11, especially the closeups of his face with the street zooming behind in fast motion. The scene where Mr. Shindo comes face to face and gets incinerated was a good one for educating me about false prophets, or something. The score was so great, especially that main UFO theme in 5 and the gigantic, brassy rendition of King Ghidorah's theme. I loved it utterly, and it was really a revelation after seeing Biollante several times (which I liked, but never loved).

Also, Mecha-Ghidorah is probably the coolest monster ever, even if he's a total pushover.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Those running shots of M11 always make me laugh. They're bad, but one of the reasons I enjoy the film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

edgaguirus wrote:Those running shots of M11 always make me laugh. They're bad, but one of the reasons I enjoy the film.
Every time I see the M-11 running scenes, I can't help but think that the score will immediately switch to the Benny Hill theme music.

"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

In this film the aliens create King Ghidorah out of Dorats but i thought KK wasa space monster ?
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillafan11 wrote:In this film the aliens create King Ghidorah out of Dorats but i thought KK wasa space monster ?
Kazuki Oomori changed KG's origin. It would be changed again in GMK.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzillafan11 wrote:In this film the aliens create King Ghidorah out of Dorats but i thought KK wasa space monster ?
They aren't aliens they are people from the future

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I have such a soft spot for this film.

When I was really young, i went to Blockbuster with my grandparents and saw this VHS sitting on the shelf. Picked it up.

This was the first Godzilla film I saw. I LOVED it.

As I grew up, I learned it was released during the same year I was born (1991).

And, as I grew up, the very first G-Fest I went to had Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah as it's theme.

So, there is a lot of history with this film and I. Lot of personal connections.

I know it has it's flaws, but I really enjoy it. It will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

This is actually one of my favourite films in the entire Godzilla series

I just love the fact that the first two films before this one -- 84 and Biollante -- tried to re-establish a more serious tone and vibe, more akin to the original film than the late Showa films were; and then this film comes up and says screw that, here's time travel and a cyborg lightning dragon. It's brilliant really -- like a purely 50s film filtered through late 80s-early 90s japanese film aesthetic. Love it to bits.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The presence of outlandish elements might make the story less grounded, but it doesn't make it inherently less serious.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

Somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me. The godzilla suit isn't quite as impressive as it was in Biollante IMO, but still the pinnacle look of the heisei series. I really enjoy Godzilla's attack on Sapporo. The night setting as well as the feral look of godzilla in this film really give those scenes some emphasis. An improvement over godzilla's attack on Osaka two years before. Some of the rotoscoping (example godzilla's spiral ray and MKG triple laser) are very impressive and I enjoyed both of the fights with ghidorah. Probably a middle tier heisei movie, definitely above GvSG and GvM, but below GvB and GvD
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

The first Godzilla movie I saw and it has a special place in my heart. Godzilla looks great in this and so does KG. I don't really like the change of origin for KG and the human plot is quite confusing but it has some great fight in it.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So Godzilla actually had a different encounter with the sub. According to the storyboards the godzillasaur was frozen in an iceberg. After a nuclear bomb was launched at it the godzillasaur rapidly mutated and revived into Godzilla. It then attacked the sub to consume more nuclear energy.
Spoiler:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Sounds oddly similar to what happened in King Kong vs Godzilla (perhaps that's why they didn't go with it).
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Is it just me or is the Heisei series kind of an assault on the aural senses? My kids are watching the dub of this on the big TV downstairs and wow up here it just sounds like a mess of noise.
PSN: soilsongs

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Have them turn down the volume next time.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

akanes_kiryu wrote:Is it just me or is the Heisei series kind of an assault on the aural senses? My kids are watching the dub of this on the big TV downstairs and wow up here it just sounds like a mess of noise.
They tend to have more prolonged action scenes, and Kawakita was quite fond of explosions, beams, and other things that cause constant crackly and/or bassy sound effects.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ahhhhhh yes this film. Definitely #6 on my top 10. I love this film, this has the best kaiju fights of the Heisei series in my opinion. It even has my favorite Heisei Godzilla design. Only real complaint is that King Ghidorah has very little personality, but he is still badass. Human characters are interesting. That infamous M-11 chase scene really reminds me of a Terminator movie, it also suprises me that the Heisei Godzilla universe has no alien race that wants to invade, its just evil future people with a over the top plan.

Overall 7/10
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I personally found this film very overrated. And no, the time travel plot has absolutely nothing to do with my problems.

1.) The Characters were bland and boring. Aside of M-11, the biggest meme in a Godzilla movie in my eyes, the characters tend to fall flat. Aside of Emmy, whose character was pretty good. The others were boring and did not make me interested in what they were talking about.

2.) While the suit designs were great, the suitmation itself doesn't exactly excel. For one, Godzilla sometimes walks like he's had one too many. That scene where he falls down from taking military blasts is the best example of this. He fell like he was drunk from my point of view. King Ghidorah was a cool design, just executed terribly in the movement section. His wings are rather stiff and slow when it comes to flapping. The Showa Ghidorah did it the best when it comes to the flapping wings department. And the head were all over the place, (literally). The Godzillasaurus green-screens were also pretty mediocre. But hey, it's better than nothing.

3.) The plot is, in my opinion, one of the worst in the franchise. Not THE worst, but it's up there. So, Godzilla is the bad guy, then becomes a good guy to fight Ghidorah, the bad guy, then becomes a bad guy again and must be stopped by Ghidorah, who is now a cyborg, and is now the good guy. That's a lot of times where good and bad guys have been reversed. It's not horrible, it just messes with my mind in an unintentional way. I like my mind being messed with when it comes to most things, but this time ain't one of them. And yes, the whole Thing erasing the events before Godzilla even happened is crazy, but not enough to ruin the film.

Those are the only cons I have with this movie. Now onto the pros:

1.) The designs of the Kaiju are great! Godzilla takes his BioGoji design back and is now 100 meters tall. Just like BioGoji, GhidoGoji is still badass and is a force to be reckoned with! This new King Ghidorah design is badass, and while it is my least favorite incarnation of the King of Terror, it's still awesome to see him back again. Mecha King Ghidorah is also very awesome and a nice take on the cyborg monster in a Godzilla movie in my eyes. I also like how Godzilla was a dinosaur, it's a cool origin for Godzilla, but I personally prefer his origin in 1954. Godzillasaurus cool looking as well! Oh, and the Dorats, I don't talk about those things. Lol.

2.) The Action is awesome! The rampage scenes are some of the best in the entire franchise and it is easily my favorite action scenes in the Heisei Era! Many memorable moments from the action, such as the Godzilla and Shindo scene, the fights with Godzilla and King Ghidorah, and the infamous M-11 chase scene. The action in this film is great and It is easily the highlight of the film!

3.) The special Effects, NOT the suitmation, but the special effects were really good. The gravity beams and the atomic breath, specifically. They look really good for their time, and still look very good today! Not really that much to say in this part.

4.) The soundtrack. It kicks ass. As we all know, Akira Ifukube returns for the score and he does an amazing job! The King Ghidorah theme song, Godzilla's song sounds awesome as always, I loved the return of the "Get Rodan" song, and the M-11 chase song is pretty catchy. It's an awesome soundtrack and it is one of my personal favorites in the franchise as a whole!

All in all. It's not a bad movie, it's loved for a reason. But personally, I like most of the Heisei Films much better than this one, But I still love it for what it gave us.

Overall score: 7.5/10
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality