Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What is your Favorite Film of the Rebirth of Mothra Series

Rebirth of Mothra
36
47%
Rebirth of Mothra 2
7
9%
Mothra 3: Invasion of King Ghidorah
34
44%
 
Total votes: 77

Online
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10683
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby eabaker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm

movieartman wrote:godzillas revenge didnt have even a fibre of originality to it on any level


Diagree passionately.

Godzilla's Revenge takes a completely new perspective on the series by examining Godzilla meta-textually, acknowledging that he has become an iconic hero in the eyes of children, and making clear that the films have the potential to be beneficial for kids, but cannot be expected to take the place of involved parenting.

Godzilla's Revenge was a clever way of re-purposing existing footage to make something new out of it, and the footage shot fresh for the film is skillfully and sensitively directed.

Compared to the cheesy, hollow RoM 2, it's practically a masterpiece.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
movieartman
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:
Easily the first, but that's not saying much.

I think the only reason Mothra 3 gets as much of a pass as it does is because people are so hypnotized by the Ghidorah design. It's still a terrible movie.


Or maybe they enjoy it for the same reasons many fans including yourself enjoy the terrible 70s movies. Dumb fun is dumb fun regardless if it comes from the 70s or the 90s.

no... of the ROM films its the one i Genuinly think is a Really Hontestly GOOD movie, the main character is not a annyoing ass kid he is more in his teens, but the character is mature, it has the most interesting plot for the fairys of the 3 films, the monster battles are ALL quality.
i dont see how its dumb at all

User avatar
Destroyer
G-Grasper
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:55 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby Destroyer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:45 pm

While I consider Revenge to be the worst of the Godzilla series, Rebirth 2 may just be the worst TOHO kaiju film. Aside from the Dagarah and the battles, I can't find any positives.

My favorite is definitely the third one. The human characters are passable and there's plenty of fun monster action. Not to mention Grand King Ghidorah is a blast to watch.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Image

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

User avatar
movieartman
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Destroyer wrote:My favorite is definitely the third one. The human characters are passable and there's plenty of fun monster action. Not to mention Grand King Ghidorah is a blast to watch.

ok cools cools im glad we at least agree about 3

User avatar
movieartman
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:46 pm

ok MABYE im missing or even ignoring deep social undertones to revenge, BUT on a Technical Level it is IMO a hack job, i never have had that much of a problem with reusing footage, but when the Vast Majority of the film is it then there is a freaking problem, and regardless GR is NOTHING but cheesy
the human elements and the stuff with the fairys in the mothra series may be cheesy hallow and anoying, but the monster battles are not cheesy, Deathghidorah is a force of pure distruction, he is not screwing around in the battles. Dagarah is a fantastic leviathanistic sea monster, and GKG is a sadistic son of a skreeonk, kiddnaping children to slowy drain there life force, is Dark man, FAR from being cheesy.

all im saying is any given one of the Rebirth series on a technical level is A BILLION times better than the shody cheap GR, and im sorry i watch monster movies for BAD ASS MONSTERS and they delivered that fantasticly, revenge did not on any level.

just for the record i did like revenge when i was a kid, i need to revist it, but regardless my stance of them compared on a technical level will remain the same

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1175
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby Terasawa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

movieartman wrote:ok MABYE im missing or even ignoring deep social undertones to revenge, BUT on a Technical Level it is IMO a hack job, i never have had that much of a problem with reusing footage, but when the Vast Majority of the film is it then there is a freaking problem, and regardless GR is NOTHING but cheesy
the human elements and the stuff with the fairys in the mothra series may be cheesy hallow and anoying, but the monster battles are not cheesy, Deathghidorah is a force of pure distruction, he is not screwing around in the battles. Dagarah is a fantastic leviathanistic sea monster, and GKG is a sadistic son of a skreeonk, kiddnaping children to slowy drain there life force, is Dark man, FAR from being cheesy.


You want GODZILLA'S REVENGE to be something it isn't. The monster scenes aren't supposed to be "dark" or "bad ass", they're supposed to be lighthearted, which they are. That's sort of like ragging on a Stooges short for not being raunchy like THE HANGOVER. Sure, you can still be disappointed that it's not up your alley, but I don't think you can objectively call it a bad movie for that same reason.

Online
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10683
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby eabaker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 pm

CTHimes wrote:
movieartman wrote:ok MABYE im missing or even ignoring deep social undertones to revenge, BUT on a Technical Level it is IMO a hack job, i never have had that much of a problem with reusing footage, but when the Vast Majority of the film is it then there is a freaking problem, and regardless GR is NOTHING but cheesy
the human elements and the stuff with the fairys in the mothra series may be cheesy hallow and anoying, but the monster battles are not cheesy, Deathghidorah is a force of pure distruction, he is not screwing around in the battles. Dagarah is a fantastic leviathanistic sea monster, and GKG is a sadistic son of a skreeonk, kiddnaping children to slowy drain there life force, is Dark man, FAR from being cheesy.


You want GODZILLA'S REVENGE to be something it isn't. The monster scenes aren't supposed to be "dark" or "bad ass", they're supposed to be lighthearted, which they are. That's sort of like ragging on a Stooges short for not being raunchy like THE HANGOVER. Sure, you can still be disappointed that it's not up your alley, but I don't think you can objectively call it a bad movie for that same reason.


At the very least, at the level of cinematography and editing it is much better put together than any of the RoM films.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
movieartman
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm

1.) i dont have any problem with Revenge not being dark or cool, thats not what im saying. what im saying is THE SPECIAL EFFECTS AND MONSTERS ARE BETTER IN EVERYWAY IN THE MOTHRA FILMS than in revenge there for it is a SUPERIOR film on a technical level, i was just describeing the nature of the monsters in the mothra films, i was not saying revenge should have been like that, i am aware they are differently ploted and styled films, but i still think the monster segments in ROM's are not cheesy as some have claimed, dew to all the villain monsters being superbly created IMO, and directed and acted like they are serious threats.

2.) i dont think the cinematography and editing on revenge was anything special and even if it was better than that of the ROMs what is being shot is still not anywhere near as good as the mothra films, refering just to the monster scenes anyway.

Online
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10683
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby eabaker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:32 pm

movieartman wrote:2.) i dont think the cinematography and editing on revenge was anything special and even if it was better than that of the ROMs what is being shot is still not anywhere near as good as the mothra films, refering just to the monster scenes anyway.


I'm mainly talking about the human drama. Monster action is important, but it does not trump the human element, for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
pikmintaro
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:25 pm
Location: Idaho, United States

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby pikmintaro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm

This is pretty hard for me, because I really enjoyed all three of the movies, I watched them when I was younger, and recently I bought all three of them on DVD (Had to get a bootleg of Mothra 3 unfortunately.) and I have a new appreciation for them now.

I'm going to have to go with 3, since it was the most enjoyable for me, with the first coming in at second, and the second movie coming in last (Although I still like it a lot.) these movies are vastly underrated, although I hated the ridiculous environmental message in the first couple of movies, the kids were pretty annoying in all three movies, it was especially annoying in the third movie when the kid wouldn't go to school and his parents didn't seem to care, and then the ever infinitely wise sister said one of her friends cried whenever she ate at school because they didn't give her food she wanted, and she said "Is it healthy for children to always eat what they hate?" or some crap like that with the parents standing there like idiots with no answer, it just really ticked me off.
But the real reason why I like these movies is the monster action and boy oh boy do they deliver on monster action, I have always loved Mothra so these movies made me love Mothra even more, it just has the most awesome incarnation ever.

As for the Heisei Gamera movies, which although I enjoyed I found to be largely boring with the monster fights being few and far between, yeah so they made the movies darker, and more "adult" who cares? it's especially disappointing in Revenge of Iris with all its "plot" and "character development" that it skimps on the monster fights, what's there is fantastic, but it just isn't enough for a movie supposedly about Gamera, and he doesn't even use the chest cannon that he did in the Legion movie making it even more lame (Yeah great a glowing hand, way to improve on the last movie there :roll: ), so yes I like the Heisei Gamera movies but I feel they are pretty overrated (I was really expecting a lot more with how much people were praising them.), and the Mothra movies just gave me a much better warmer feeling and more excitement.

But enough about Gamera, I prefer Mothra 3 since it has the best strongest Mothra, and the best most awesome Ghidorah so far, there are certain things I like more about each movie, but the third one has the most for me to enjoy.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars
Image

User avatar
dragongora
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:39 pm
Location: in the realm of fake world

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby dragongora » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 am

I knew there was three, but why did they put two movies instead of all three, they were all awesome to me, i had all three on vhs, but hate it when the vcr ate my movies, dang it
Dragons don't die, we just bleed

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5088
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby Rody » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 am

pikmintaro wrote:...and he [Gamera] doesn't even use the chest cannon that he did in the Legion movie making it even more lame (Yeah great a glowing hand, way to improve on the last movie there :roll: )...

Don't forget, using the mana blast is what resulted in the massive increase of Gyaos population. Remember that humongous swarm of Gyaos at the end of G3? Think about what would happen if Gamera used the mana beam a second time. :shock: :freak:

User avatar
Carthormerr
Interpol Agent
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:57 am
Location: Devil's Island

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby Carthormerr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 am

This isn't a fair question. That''s like asking what my favorite matthew broderick moment was from GINO
"A monster can live forever"

User avatar
MDK
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 am
Location: ZILLA HATERS HQ

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby MDK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:27 am

pikmintaro wrote:This is pretty hard for me, because I really enjoyed all three of the movies, I watched them when I was younger, and recently I bought all three of them on DVD (Had to get a bootleg of Mothra 3 unfortunately.) and I have a new appreciation for them now.

I'm going to have to go with 3, since it was the most enjoyable for me, with the first coming in at second, and the second movie coming in last (Although I still like it a lot.) these movies are vastly underrated, although I hated the ridiculous environmental message in the first couple of movies, the kids were pretty annoying in all three movies, it was especially annoying in the third movie when the kid wouldn't go to school and his parents didn't seem to care, and then the ever infinitely wise sister said one of her friends cried whenever she ate at school because they didn't give her food she wanted, and she said "Is it healthy for children to always eat what they hate?" or some crap like that with the parents standing there like idiots with no answer, it just really ticked me off.
But the real reason why I like these movies is the monster action and boy oh boy do they deliver on monster action, I have always loved Mothra so these movies made me love Mothra even more, it just has the most awesome incarnation ever.

As for the Heisei Gamera movies, which although I enjoyed I found to be largely boring with the monster fights being few and far between, yeah so they made the movies darker, and more "adult" who cares? it's especially disappointing in Revenge of Iris with all its "plot" and "character development" that it skimps on the monster fights, what's there is fantastic, but it just isn't enough for a movie supposedly about Gamera, and he doesn't even use the chest cannon that he did in the Legion movie making it even more lame (Yeah great a glowing hand, way to improve on the last movie there :roll: ), so yes I like the Heisei Gamera movies but I feel they are pretty overrated (I was really expecting a lot more with how much people were praising them.), and the Mothra movies just gave me a much better warmer feeling and more excitement.

But enough about Gamera, I prefer Mothra 3 since it has the best strongest Mothra, and the best most awesome Ghidorah so far, there are certain things I like more about each movie, but the third one has the most for me to enjoy.


Um... Gamera didn't use the Mana Beam cause of the whole "less mana, more Gyaos" plot. Though the final fight in G3 is just a shoving match. Heisei Godzilla battles were better than G3's final fight. The first fight is just AMAZING. Gamera 2: Advent of Legion is the best Gamera movie.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol

SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega

If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

User avatar
MDK
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 am
Location: ZILLA HATERS HQ

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby MDK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Tyler wrote:
MeltdownKoopa wrote:Heisei Godzilla battles were better than G3's final fight.


Bumps and sparks and beams and looking like a TV movie!


Still better than a shoving match!
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol

SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega

If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

User avatar
tymon
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3674
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby tymon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Haven't seen any of them. Suppose I better get on that.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

User avatar
Smuggers
Futurian
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby Smuggers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 pm

MeltdownKoopa wrote:
Tyler wrote:
MeltdownKoopa wrote:Heisei Godzilla battles were better than G3's final fight.


Bumps and sparks and beams and looking like a TV movie!


Still better than a shoving match!


Isn't that essentially what the Heisei Godzilla battles were when no beam spamming was involved? Pushing and shoving?
LegendZilla wrote:I see this movie as said dying child.

BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

User avatar
MDK
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 am
Location: ZILLA HATERS HQ

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby MDK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm

^ Yeah... but they have the occasional grapple and, of course, beam spamming. All G3 had was shoving.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol

SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega

If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

User avatar
Carthormerr
Interpol Agent
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:57 am
Location: Devil's Island

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby Carthormerr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 pm

MeltdownKoopa wrote:^ Yeah... but they have the occasional grapple and, of course, beam spamming. All G3 had was shoving.


I'd still take a good movie with only a shoving match for a fight any day of the week over a poorer movie with a bunch of beam fights
"A monster can live forever"

User avatar
MDK
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 am
Location: ZILLA HATERS HQ

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Postby MDK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Oh G3 is better than most Heisei films. The battle just lacks. We should have had something like G2.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol

SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega

If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol


Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests