Which roar is more epic

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Which roar is more epic

Post by GojirO »

My personal favorite is the G84/ROG/G85 roar myself because it sounds like some kind of ferrel beast risen from the waters below. But what is YOUR favorite roar fans?
Rest in Peace Victoria

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Which roar is more epic

Post by JAGzilla »

The '84-'91 roar, no question. The more Showa-esque roar from '92-'95 doesn't fit Heisei Godzilla well at all. The older one sounds a lot more animalistic and dangerous.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Definitely agree, the higher, squeaky roar of the later Heisei films doesn't work nearly as well as the terrifying below of the first few flicks in that series.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:The '84-'91 roar, no question. The more Showa-esque roar from '92-'95 doesn't fit Heisei Godzilla well at all. The older one sounds a lot more animalistic and dangerous.
Speaking of not fitting I prefer the glassy realistic eyes from the 89 suit. I really do not like the orange-yellow iris eyes they used for the later suits cause it looks too cartoony.

Off topic I know but it's been bugging me. As for roars, I guess I like the 91 roar.
Completely with you on the eyes. They're the main reason that the '89/'91 look is in my top five, whereas the '92-'94 look is somwhere around 10th place for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

No doubt about it, they dropped the ball with that high pitched roar in the early to mid nineties, but in GvD they at least combined elements from that high pitched one with the 54' , which made that one (96') pretty decent in comparison.
"A monster can live forever"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote:See I don't mind the later Heisei roars because at least they mixed them up a little. My big issue with the 1989/91 roar is that it was really just one sound, repeated over and over and over again. It's impressive, but there's no variety in the sound effects. I become bored with it.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to scream about this one, but the best era for Godzilla roars was in the later Showa era, where Godzilla's roar was constantly changing depending on the situation.
Oh, I agree that ideally it shuld vary based on the situation.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Legion1979 wrote:See I don't mind the later Heisei roars because at least they mixed them up a little. My big issue with the 1989/91 roar is that it was really just one sound, repeated over and over and over again. It's impressive, but there's no variety in the sound effects. I become bored with it.
I can get if you personally found it repetitive, but it definitely wasn't just one sound. There were variants along with the original 54' sound effects used
"A monster can live forever"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: I'm sure a lot of people are going to scream about this one, but the best era for Godzilla roars was in the later Showa era, where Godzilla's roar was constantly changing depending on the situation.
I agree. I also agree with Living Corpse about the Heisei eyes; the color change really hurt Godzilla's whole appearance for the rest of the series.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

JAGzilla wrote:The '84-'91 roar, no question. The more Showa-esque roar from '92-'95 doesn't fit Heisei Godzilla well at all. The older one sounds a lot more animalistic and dangerous.
Concur. Ideally, the later 1990's roars would have been added as variants, depending on the situation Godzilla was in, but that the '84-'91 roar would have remained the tired and true "base" roar for Godzilla.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Yea I agree with most everyone else about the '84-'91 roar. It was my favorite and made him sound very powerful. Although I would have preferred if they mixed them up and used both styles in all the movies. I was disappointed when they went back strictly to the classic style in 'Godzilla vs. Mothra'. But I was even more disappointed when they gave his ray that horrible "ray" sound effect.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

Yep..., I have to echo what everyone's saying about the '84 - '91 roar. I'm really hoping LP's Godzilla will posess something very similar!
I also agree with FlawedCoil82's comments on the high pitched wine that accompanied his atomic breath from '92 onwards. It made it sound almost like a laser weapon and was therefore completely inappropiate.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

84-91 roars easily.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

RoG Godzilla, sounds so menacing.