Godzilla 1985: The Suit

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Godzilla 1985: The Suit

Post by MDK »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:Its face defines Godzilla for me.

Thats a great pic.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Trekkie313
GPN Volunteer

Post by Trekkie313 »

Love this suit/design as its from my current favorite Godzilla movie. Really wish the cybot was better documented.

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

Still love the suit, but the eyes look horrible in some select scenes, which can ruin it sometimes.

I would also like to know the fate of the Cybot... that would be a hell of a thing for Toho to put up for auction
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Eh. The suit was all right, but it was nothing compared to the biogoji suit. Am I the only one who likes cybot Godzilla?

Trekkie313
GPN Volunteer

Post by Trekkie313 »

20th Century Boy wrote:Eh. The suit was all right, but it was nothing compared to the biogoji suit. Am I the only one who likes cybot Godzilla?
You're not alone, I was shocked when I learned that none of the previous films before the 1984 attempted to use animatronics or puppets for Godzilla. I'm a huge animatronic nerd. :P :mrgreen:

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Black Lion wrote:Still love the suit, but the eyes look horrible in some select scenes, which can ruin it sometimes.

I would also like to know the fate of the Cybot... that would be a hell of a thing for Toho to put up for auction
Well that's true, like what AVGN said, ''some of the animatronic close ups look like shit''.
Yooo 8-)

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Yeah, either way this suit and design are still great.
Yooo 8-)

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Meh, I've never really cared for the suit or the cybot. It lacks the charm of the 60s suits, the menace of the '54 or '01 suits, the majesty of the '89 and '91 suits, and the edginess of the '02 and '99 suits.

The eyes are the worst part for me. They make him look....bored.

Trekkie313
GPN Volunteer

Post by Trekkie313 »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:
Black Lion wrote:Still love the suit, but the eyes look horrible in some select scenes, which can ruin it sometimes.

Well that's true, like what AVGN said, ''some of the animatronic close ups look like shit''.

That was James Rolfe, why do people keep confusing himself for his character?

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Trekkie313 wrote:

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:

Black Lion wrote:
Still love the suit, but the eyes look horrible in some select scenes, which can ruin it sometimes.

That was James Rolfe, why do people keep confusing himself for his character?

Well exactly, its the same thing so he can call him what he wants.
^This post in sexually offensive.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

For shame, Sir Dragon, abusing your authority like that! :-P

I think I'm warming up to the '84 suit; but it's a bit hard to judge only on photos.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's kind funny seeing the '84 Godzilla (out of all the Heisei Godzillas) being called "bulky". :lol:
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Trekkie313
GPN Volunteer

Post by Trekkie313 »

Goji wrote:It's kind funny seeing the '84 Godzilla (out of all the Heisei Godzillas) being called "bulky". :lol:
I know, look at the Millennium Series suit with its bodybuilder neck and thick thighs! :lol:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

'84 is actually pretty slender, for a Godzilla. I see no bulk to speak of, unless we're referring to the dorsal plates (which look fantastic).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well, you didn't specify. :P

I was always under the impression most fans *like* massive dorsal plates on Godzilla. The MireGoji is an example of taking it too far. The size and maple leaf look to the Heisei Godzilla's was just right, IMO.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

At least the Godzilla 84 suit isn't quite as fat as the other Heisei Godzillas from the mid 90's.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

I just wish the eyes were different... maybe if they were looking downward like the '54 suit instead of rolled back into his head all he time...

I actually liked the Cybot head better than the suit head. Why on Earth couldn't they make them look the same? You'd think they wouldn't overlook something as glaringly obvious and simple to fix as that. All they had to do was scale down one of the molds, or scale up the other
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

GodzillaFan94
Samurai

Post by GodzillaFan94 »

I love the suit. It's easily one of my favorites. The fins and proportions kick ass IMO.

If only he didn't look like Jack Elam in those few shots though...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan94 wrote:If only he didn't look like Jack Elam in those few shots though...
Best.
Comparison.
Ever.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The fangs really kill it for me along with those derp eyes. They don't even line up right in some shots so Godzilla looks like he is derping hard.