Godzilla 1985: The Suit

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Godzilla 1985: The Suit

Post by GojirO »

I love this movie. It was one if the first godzilla movies I ever saw and it is hands down a fantastic endeavor. However as o watched it, and I am wondering if anyone else caught this, in closeups of godzilla, he kind if looks cockeyed. Anyone else catch this?
Rest in Peace Victoria

Sue Dounim
Ronin

Re: Godzilla 1985

Post by Sue Dounim »

This film has eluded me since I was a child. Only now through the magic of torrenting have I finally been able to acquire it, and yes the 'cockeyed' glimpses have been bugging the hell out of me.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Amen! I'm not alone. Still haven't seen the Japanese original "Return of Godzilla", only the Americanized "Godzilla 1985".

:godzilla:
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Istill think its his eyes man
Rest in Peace Victoria

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

The eye thing is the main reason why I am not a fan of the '85 suit. It just gets to me every time. And you know it never really bothered me until someone else pointed it out.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Living Corpse wrote:
ligerzilla2014 wrote:The eye thing is the main reason why I am not a fan of the '85 suit. It just gets to me every time. And you know it never really bothered me until someone else pointed it out.
You think that's bad, a friend of mine made a comment about King Ghidorah's chest that I can't un-see.
What was the comment
Rest in Peace Victoria

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla 1985: The Suit

Post by eabaker »

One of my favorite G suits. Not quite in my top five, but more or less a tie with the 55 suit for 6th place. I like my Godzilla loking mean.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

There are some shots where the eyes look amazing but then there are shots where his eye look ms, one way and the other write looks dead straight., also I feel as if there are shots where the eyes appear to glow (like the old gamera suits) anyone see this ?
Rest in Peace Victoria

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

Living Corpse wrote:
ligerzilla2014 wrote:The eye thing is the main reason why I am not a fan of the '85 suit. It just gets to me every time. And you know it never really bothered me until someone else pointed it out.
You think that's bad, a friend of mine made a comment about King Ghidorah's chest that I can't un-see.

No seriously, what was the comment?

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Tell the comment sir
Rest in Peace Victoria

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

I always thought there were 2 different suits used in the 84 film excluding the robot. I remember when rapper BIG came out, I would always see his face in the close ups of G85. And I think that mysterious Ghidorah comment about his chest has something to do with boobs.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

O_O (nightmare fuel)
Rest in Peace Victoria

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

tenup wrote:I always thought there were 2 different suits used in the 84 film excluding the robot.
There were two suits used, in addition to the Cybot.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I think the eyebrows make this one of the more evil-looking Godzillas, along with '64 and '01. I'm a big fan of this suit, but part of the reason for that is because of my nostalgic love of the film (the usual - it was the first G-flick I saw in a theater, and so forth).

As a kid, I always viewed the "bad" Godzilla of '85 as being more powerful than the heroic Godzilla of the '60s-'70s. I ultimately preferred the latter, though.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Awesome suit, no other godzilla looks so powerful (other than burning) and scary. I can just imagine G84 scaring the shit out of destoroyah or KG just by looking at them.
84-95

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

only liked 1 angle near the end where godzilla is on the volcano and is shown through the monitor on the side of him, cool shot and he looked cool

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I like the 84'85 suit design except for one thing...the fangs. They didn't last long in the Showa era or Heisei era. May we never see them like that again.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

I think the fangs are best suited for a Godzilla that's a terrifying menace.

Which is the most common depiction...

But the fangs are one of my favorite features of the suit.
I agree! I love the fangs on this suit (the teeth are partly why I like the GRA suit too).

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Out of the two head designs (cybot and main suit) which do you guys prefer?
84-95

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I like both, but the suit-head is clearly the 'better' of the two. I like the Cybot, but mostly for sentimental reasons.

How can anyone dislike the fangs though? They compliment this Godzilla perfectly.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.