Godzilla 1985: The Suit

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla 1985: The Suit

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Legion1979 wrote: The Ghido-Goji suit WAS the Bio-Goji suit. Both of the 1989 Godzilla suits were refurbished and used for Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
Fair enough. I normally think that depending on what movie the suit is on, the G look is normally accomodated to the title to the movie, hence my way of calling it Ghido-Goji, but I'm sure it is the same but with some tweaks here and there.

And that picture, man, I had already seen it, and it really is something. Both sad, and amusing at the same time.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:That's probably one of the saddest pictures I've ever seen^
It's ok, he's not dead. Just sleepin off the booze...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Godzilla's drunk, but his kaiju friends forgot to wake him up the next day. :(
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Giga Kaiju wrote: but I'm sure it is the same but with some tweaks here and there.
No, it literally IS the same suit, just with modifications.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Yeah, the main suit used in GvsKG is the water suit used on Biollante, that's why people have come to think it was a new suit because it's so dominant in GvsKG where marketing really pushed the non-water suit for Biollante and the two are close but there are enough differences, just look at Godzilla vs Super X2 at sea to later in the city.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Goji wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:Yeah, the main suit used in GvsKG is the water suit used on Biollante, that's why people have come to think it was a new suit because it's so dominant in GvsKG where marketing really pushed the non-water suit for Biollante and the two are close but there are enough differences, just look at Godzilla vs Super X2 at sea to later in the city.
No, it literally IS the same suit, just with modifications.

Oh, I can honstely see why you two would think that. Since the suit was mostly seen at night, I thought that it didn't had any familiarities with the Ghido-Goji, but in some shots of BIOLLANTE at day (as few as those are) I can see that there is some indeed.

Well, hence the 'tweaks' part I said, but, yes. I can kind of discern between those two, particularly, the face.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Aside from occasional messed up looking eyes I really like this design. It's definitely one of the most vicious and aggressive looking appearances in the franchise. Oh, also, one other thing, I like the sound his atomic ray makes. I can't really describe it, but it made a vastly different sound from the one in the Showa Era or in future Heisei movies.
Resized Image

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

My Favorite Heisei Film :D
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

This suit always looked like the perfect blend of Showa and Heisei.

Like if Godzilla 1974 fused with Godzilla 1991. :)
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I feel like this one looks proportionally awkward. Actually, like UltimateDitto said, a perfect fusion of showa and later-Heisei, a transition point... but for me, that makes it unbearably clunky, having all the worst clashing design traits of each.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I’ve always seen it as the aesthetics of the Heisei period applied to the ‘54 design. The Heisei films delivered the most powerful and ferocious looking Godzillas, and I look at ‘84 as taking the ‘54 suit and making it look more ferocious.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'd agree that the 84 suit seems like a contemporary rendition of the 54 suit, with maybe some 60s/70s features subtly worked in (to me, the cybot face resembles the 68-72 face from certain angles); and I think the results were very good. This suit appeared massive without being absurdly bulky, and menacing in a way not seen often before. Had Satsuma fit in the suit better (or the original suit actor been able to do the part), I'm sure it would have looked even better in motion.