Godzilla 1985: The Suit

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla 1985: The Suit

Post by GFAN198423 »

One thing I love about the '84 is the size of his head, I appreciate smaller head designs too like '89 and 2014, but I just really like the body proportions on the whole '84 and for a long time felt '89 went too small.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

GFAN198423 wrote:One thing I love about the '84 is the size of his head, I appreciate smaller head designs too like '89 and 2014, but I just really like the body proportions on the whole '84 and for a long time felt '89 went too small.
Its as if he stood in front of a funhouse mirror. The later designs bothered me so much with his ginormous thighs.. I would have loved to have seen the 84 suit used in the vs series.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I've never heard of a reason why the '84 wasn't used for Biollante, by that time suits lasted long enough for more than one movie, so I wonder, did they just not want to use it again or did something happen to it.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I thought i read somewhere that the suit was stolen. If that was before biollante i dont know but i do know its never been found.

***edit***

Now according to wiki... The suit was stolen shortly after the film. All i can think about it is someone.. Had the most badass living room decor ever.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Only for some time as the suits would deteriorate and even rot if not properly taken care off.

: P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Right. Speaking for myself anyways. Chances are that suit is long gone. Ashame.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Yeah, but still, like you said, I hope the guy/gal had a blast because the suit had to be the best thing in oneself's home.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

How does one manage to steal a Godzilla suit sooooo easily.

Even the 89 suit got stolen eventually, but was found.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GFAN198423 wrote:I've never heard of a reason why the '84 wasn't used for Biollante, by that time suits lasted long enough for more than one movie, so I wonder, did they just not want to use it again or did something happen to it.
No, suits did not last any longer by the '80s than they had before (and don't last any longer now than they did). By the time they made GvB it had been five years, the suit was probably not in usable condition anymore.
GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:How does one manage to steal a Godzilla suit sooooo easily.

They broke into the studio, loaded it into a car, and drove off with it. :p I'm absolutely certain it was the Batogoji (1992) suit that was stolen, though, not Biogoji. If I remember right, it was found dumped at the side of a road some time later. The Batogoji is the only one to have been stolen.

EDIT: The article it's mentioned in is "The Evolution of Godzilla – G-Suit Variations Throughout the Monster King’s Twenty One Films" by Robert Biondi in G-Fan #16 (July/August 1995). That's the same article where I first read about Wolfman vs. Godzilla too.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Clearly more then one persons was involved, and i can only imagine it must have been a van. Your not stuffing that in the boot of a corolla. I wonder why toho seemed to stray away so much from the 84 suit. From biogoji on the suit really didnt change much aside from some minor altercations but are vastly different from 84goji.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Pkmatrix wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:I've never heard of a reason why the '84 wasn't used for Biollante, by that time suits lasted long enough for more than one movie, so I wonder, did they just not want to use it again or did something happen to it.
No, suits did not last any longer by the '80s than they had before (and don't last any longer now than they did). By the time they made GvB it had been five years, the suit was probably not in usable condition anymore.
GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:How does one manage to steal a Godzilla suit sooooo easily.

They broke into the studio, loaded it into a car, and drove off with it. :p I'm absolutely certain it was the Batogoji (1992) suit that was stolen, though, not Biogoji. If I remember right, it was found dumped at the side of a road some time later. The Batogoji is the only one to have been stolen.

EDIT: The article it's mentioned in is "The Evolution of Godzilla – G-Suit Variations Throughout the Monster King’s Twenty One Films" by Robert Biondi in G-Fan #16 (July/August 1995). That's the same article where I first read about Wolfman vs. Godzilla too.
Yeah. I believe Bio-Goji wasn't stolen or something, because that one got-re used on the sea portions of the movie if I'm not mistaken. You can see the different of the fact between parts of it.

Well, to be able to steal a somewhat, maybe, heavy suit, it must of been a collaboration-job between many people to get it done.

Not blame them, though...as the suit was great looking for a display, for whatever time span it lasted... :lol:

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Clearly more then one persons was involved, and i can only imagine it must have been a van. Your not stuffing that in the boot of a corolla. I wonder why toho seemed to stray away so much from the 84 suit. From biogoji on the suit really didnt change much aside from some minor altercations but are vastly different from 84goji.
Oh, well, the reason they didn't change much from '89 until '95 was Kawakita. Since he directed the SPFX for all those movies, he decided to keep the character design consistent rather than changing it a lot from movie to movie. I presume they changed it from '84 to '89 because they wanted to do their own design.
Giga Kaiju wrote:Yeah. I believe Bio-Goji wasn't stolen or something, because that one got-re used on the sea portions of the movie if I'm not mistaken. You can see the different of the fact between parts of it.

Well, to be able to steal a somewhat, maybe, heavy suit, it must of been a collaboration-job between many people to get it done.

Not blame them, though...as the suit was great looking for a display, for whatever time span it lasted... :lol:
If I get a chance later, I'll dig up my copy of G-Fan #16 and see if I can post the blurb about the theft here. :)

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:Clearly more then one persons was involved, and i can only imagine it must have been a van. Your not stuffing that in the boot of a corolla. I wonder why toho seemed to stray away so much from the 84 suit. From biogoji on the suit really didnt change much aside from some minor altercations but are vastly different from 84goji.
Oh, well, the reason they didn't change much from '89 until '95 was Kawakita. Since he directed the SPFX for all those movies, he decided to keep the character design consistent rather than changing it a lot from movie to movie. I presume they changed it from '84 to '89 because they wanted to do their own design.
Giga Kaiju wrote:Yeah. I believe Bio-Goji wasn't stolen or something, because that one got-re used on the sea portions of the movie if I'm not mistaken. You can see the different of the fact between parts of it.

If I get a chance later, I'll dig up my copy of G-Fan #16 and see if I can post the blurb about the theft here. :)
Cool. Can't wait to see the info about it. Sounds like some ultimate heist-kind of material right there. :P

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Cool. Can't wait to see the info about it. Sounds like some ultimate heist-kind of material right there. :P
Nah, not really. :P

Anyways, here it is! It's been a LONG time since I read this article, so I misremembered some things. I thought it was the Batogoji that was stolen because I remembered this happened during the filming of Godzilla vs. Mothra in 1992. It was, in fact, the Ghidogoji B, which was to be refurbished and reused for GvM.

Let me know if anyone has trouble reading it, I can type it out for everyone. :)

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:Cool. Can't wait to see the info about it. Sounds like some ultimate heist-kind of material right there. :P

Anyways, here it is! It's been a LONG time since I read this article, so I misremembered some things. I thought it was the Batogoji that was stolen because I remembered this happened during the filming of Godzilla vs. Mothra in 1992. It was, in fact, the Ghidogoji B, which was to be refurbished and reused for GvM.

http://i59.tinypic.com/n2gx1x.png

Let me know if anyone has trouble reading it, I can type it out for everyone. :)
Nice! Thanks for sharing though, dude. Is readable, don't worry. ;)

"An elderly woman found the suit on the ditch and was scared out of her wits for seeing the King of the Monsters..."

"Ugh, that thing's back?"

"Is Godzilla at your house...?"

LEL.

The crew on set must of have a memorable day, indeed with all the ocurrences involving the suit. :lol:

So it was the GHIDO-GOJI, instead of the Bio-Goji. Interesting info, still, Pkmatrix.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not sure if this has been discussed but I really liked the suit in 1984 (minus some eye problems) as it seemed like a natural revamp of the 1954 suit. After movie upon movie of silly Showa suit it definitely brought a threatening and more realistic look to Godzilla. Probably one of my favorite looks as it's just a remade 1954 suit basically.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed but I really liked the suit in 1984 (minus some eye problems) as it seemed like a natural revamp of the 1954 suit. After movie upon movie of silly Showa suit it definitely brought a threatening and more realistic look to Godzilla. Probably one of my favorite looks as it's just a remade 1954 suit basically.

The eyes i can look past. Cause its only certain shots. But like you said. I find this and the 54 suit to be my favs. He's so menacing. His body is very proportionate. unlike the later heisei era suits. His dorsal plates are staggered well and look awesome, unlike the milin. series, i think they are over the top. One of the best suits imo.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Giga Kaiju wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:

http://i59.tinypic.com/n2gx1x.png

Nice! Thanks for sharing though, dude. Is readable, don't worry. ;)

"An elderly woman found the suit on the ditch and was scared out of her wits for seeing the King of the Monsters..."

"Ugh, that thing's back?"

"Is Godzilla at your house...?"

LEL.

The crew on set must of have a memorable day, indeed with all the ocurrences involving the suit. :lol:

So it was the GHIDO-GOJI, instead of the Bio-Goji. Interesting info, still, Pkmatrix.
The Ghido-Goji suit WAS the Bio-Goji suit. Both of the 1989 Godzilla suits were refurbished and used for Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maybe that's the origin of this weird picture:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

That's probably one of the saddest pictures I've ever seen^
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.