Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Omegazilla
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

Postby Omegazilla » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm not saying the movie WAS MADE to specifically cash in on Indiana Jones films, I meant that the scenes that were similar to Indiana Jones were there just as a cheap way to cash in on the popularity of the series at the time, perhaps lure in some Indiana Jones fans and get their attention so they might think there is more of this type of content in the movie. What I think the movie was specifically made to cash in on though are the titular monsters. Anyways, Toho always seemed to change some of the themes around to adapt to the times they were making the movies in, it just so happens Indiana Jones was popular at the time, so it was IJ's turn.

But even if it was, this series has a long history of borrowing from established box office hits. Just look at the first film, which started as such a ripoff of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms that its working title was nearly the same.

I agree 100% on this. In fact many movies in a way started off as "ripoffs" but would become something original in of itself. Again I find it funny you mention Alien because that very series did the exact same thing. One of the staff (can't remember if it was writer, director etc) said he basically knocked off a bunch of sci-fi movies like The Thing. He said something like "I didn't steal Alien from anybody, but everybody." Just like Godzilla did with Kong and TBF2F. I am not saying "borrowing" from movies is always bad, but in this case it is as it really serves no point other than to capitalize on the fame of IJ. There are some exceptions where capitalizing on a trend or whatnot CAN ironically create something fresh and interesting, it's just that this movie was not of those exceptions. With all this said while I do stand by that I said this movie is the worst in the Heisei series it is far from the worst in the whole franchise and does have some entertaining scenes that can get you by on a boring day.

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”