Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

Post by Legion1979 »

I was 14 when I first saw this movie in 1993, and I thought it was awesome. Now I'm 36 and I can barely watch it.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Legion1979 wrote:I was 14 when I first saw this movie in 1993, and I thought it was awesome. Now I'm 36 and I can barely watch it.
so the movie is boring or you are...

..or both are true. ;)
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Space Hunter M wrote:You're scum! You bastaaarrrd!!! You're worse than I THOOOOOOUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHTTTtttoooOOOhhhhhhhhHHH*splash*
Aww, man, I forgot how amazing the dub was for this.

"WhAt's HAPPeniNG to oUr PLANET?!?!"

This is one of those movies that really needs a re-release with subtitles.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:You're scum! You bastaaarrrd!!! You're worse than I THOOOOOOUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHTTTtttoooOOOhhhhhhhhHHH*splash*
Aww, man, I forgot how amazing the dub was for this.

"WhAt's HAPPeniNG to oUr PLANET?!?!"

This is one of those movies that really needs a re-release with subtitles.

Yeah, that was pretty laughable >_<

Who dubbed the Toho films during the 90s? And who handled the Millennium era films? Toho could definitely benefit from hiring decent voice actors for the English dubs of their films.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: This is one of those movies that really needs a re-release with subtitles.
There was one. It came out over a year ago.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/blu-ray/godz ... ony14.html
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

KaijuDuke wrote:
Who dubbed the Toho films during the 90s? And who handled the Millennium era films? Toho could definitely benefit from hiring decent voice actors for the English dubs of their films.
Since Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla films have used Hong Kong dubs for international releases. After the 1960s, American distributers stopped producing their own dubs. I think the only exceptions to this were G85 and Sony's dub for Godzilla 2000.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Goji wrote:Godzilla vs. Battra Larva is great, and probably one of the more physical skirmish's in the Heisei series, but it's incredibly brief. Not a fan of the "laser light show" during the finale either, or Godzilla carefully grappling the lifeless Mothra marionette. I'll definitely take Godzilla's two battles with Ghidorah in the previous film over those scenes; which are both excellent examples of what was wrong with a lot of the kaiju action sequences in this era.
I thought Battra Larva was cool, I liked the design, mean and spikey, but I really didn't like what they did with the roar, used a damn edited Rodan cry for the roar, I'm sorry, but with such an interesting-looking hell worm, you'd expect something more... cooler, meaner, and unique, but I guess this was another rushed film from the series, so they decided to just say "fuck macking a new roar". The rushing probably also explains why it's basically a rehash of the Showa Mothra films too.
All the visible strings are also a bother, but I can get over this, hey, at least it's not Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla's meteors, am I right :freak:
I also hated Godzilla awkwardly grappling the Mothra Larvas face, and throwing it in the most ridiculously bad looking way...

I DID, like I said, enjoy all the battle scenes *minus the strings and awkward Godzilla grappling (It looks horrible when he does the same thing with adult Battra's head)* and I liked when Godzilla struts outta Mt. Fuji too, not gonna lie, I think the fire explosians and lightning was THE SHIT, but everything else... no so much.

I usually just watch it for the monster scenes, kinda wish Battra's re-emergence wasn't SO abrupt, kinda seemed like it needed one of those classic Godzilla monster explosions, like King Caesar, Gigan, Anguirus (Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla), Mechagodzilla 1974, and Megalon's.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Goji wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: This is one of those movies that really needs a re-release with subtitles.
There was one. It came out over a year ago.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/blu-ray/godz ... ony14.html
Oh, right, I think I got it mixed up with the Spacegodzilla/Destoroyah release. I remember one of the two double features lacked subtitles.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

kamilleblu wrote: Since Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla films have used Hong Kong dubs for international releases. After the 1960s, American distributers stopped producing their own dubs. I think the only exceptions to this were G85 and Sony's dub for Godzilla 2000.
Titan's dub for Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster was the last U.S. produced dub for the Showa series.

Prior to Gigan, there were international dubs for Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Ebirah Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, and Destroy All Monsters, but they didn't get released outside the U.S. until much later.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Goji wrote:
kamilleblu wrote: Since Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla films have used Hong Kong dubs for international releases. After the 1960s, American distributers stopped producing their own dubs. I think the only exceptions to this were G85 and Sony's dub for Godzilla 2000.
Titan's dub for Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster was the last U.S. produced dub for the Showa series.

Prior to Gigan, there were international dubs for Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Ebirah Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, and Destroy All Monsters, but they didn't get released outside the U.S. until much later.

I always did think G85 had a better dub than many of the later films, along with Godzilla vs Biollante...Godzilla 2000 however pretty much had a dub on par with the the rest after that despite Sony having a hand in it....KATAGGGGIIIIIRRRRRIIIII!!!!! :shock: :g2k: .... It would be nice if Toho got better English dubs for future Godzilla films, especially since the 2016 film they're planning is supposed to be scary & serious.

Anyway, another issue I have with Godzilla vs Mothra was the whole "Man is ruining nature thing," not just because of how preachy it is, but because of how the cause of all the trouble in the film stemmed from a meteor that fell from space which humanity had NO CONTROL OVER. Godzilla, Battra, & Mothra were not awakened by the folly of man destroying the nature world, they were awakened by a space rock...So the message of the film about protecting the environment isn't even a very good one, its forced actually. I mean yes, the Marutomo Company is said to destroy whole forests, but we don't really see a lot of that & again, the monsters were disturbed by outside forces from space rather than a greedy corporation cutting down the rainforest or something equally awful. As for the company trying to profit off the egg initially & then kidnapping the Cosmos, that certainly showcases greed, but not really a threat to the environment (and I certainly don't see the Cosmos going Captain Planet on anyone, unless you count them summoning Mothra to rescue them, who, again, kills lots of people who had nothing to do with their kidnapping whatsoever, the company president doesn't even get stepped on by a monster in the end or anything, just has a breakdown in his office).

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Oh, right, I think I got it mixed up with the Spacegodzilla/Destoroyah release. I remember one of the two double features lacked subtitles.
I mean, none of the Heisei Tristar DVDs from '98 had Japanese language tracks. They were all English only.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

KaijuDuke wrote: I mean yes, the Marutomo Company is said to destroy whole forests, but we don't really see a lot of that & again, the monsters were disturbed by outside forces from space rather than a greedy corporation cutting down the rainforest or something equally awful. As for the company trying to profit off the egg initially & then kidnapping the Cosmos, that certainly showcases greed, but not really a threat to the environment (and I certainly don't see the Cosmos going Captain Planet on anyone, unless you count them summoning Mothra to rescue them, who, again, kills lots of people who had nothing to do with their kidnapping whatsoever, the company president doesn't even get stepped on by a monster in the end or anything, just has a breakdown in his office).
I felt like the 'bad guys' weren't very strong, too... last time I watched it, it felt like they were just doing their job. It's may not exactly be right to do what they were doing, but let's face it, it has to happen (especially with the way society grows). They aren't nearly as rude and mean-spirited as the businessmen in the original MvG, either, so it's harder to believe that these guys are real enemies.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

If anything, this movie taught me that if you're ever having family issues, just help two bugs fight a radioactive zombie dinosaur, and everything will be OK.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:If anything, this movie taught me that if you're ever having family issues, just help two bugs fight a radioactive zombie dinosaur, and everything will be OK.
I learned that the easiest way to make money after being divorced is to become Indiana Jones.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:If anything, this movie taught me that if you're ever having family issues, just help two bugs fight a radioactive zombie dinosaur, and everything will be OK.
Just be sure causing untold death and destruction doesn't bother you.

A agree on the human villains. They seemed more petulant than evil, especially the guy in charge.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

So, was Battra a bad guy in the first place or did he turn him good when Mothra showed a sign of friendship above the water?
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:So, was Battra a bad guy in the first place or did he turn him good when Mothra showed a sign of friendship above the water?

The story goes that Battra was created by the spirit of the earth, insert Captain Planet joke here, to defend against those who would harm & seek to control the earth, HOWEVER, Battra was so zealous at his job that he became a threat himself, or was going too far in his mission (its been a while since I suffered through this one lol). SO, earth spirit created Mothra to stop Battra & basically be a less kill crazy guardian of the environment...So yeah, Battra is basically a darker, edgier version of Mothra, but apparently being saved by her once was enough to put an end to their age long rivalry (that & the threat of impending death at the hands of a radioactive dinokaiju lol).

I think Battra's origin would have made more sense if he....

1) Had been a "fallen mothra" of sorts rather than a giant sized planeteer, one consumed by anger & hate towards humanity & transformed by it. Mothra is a goddess, Battra is a demon.

2) Been female instead of male, so that the whole dark counterpart to Mothra thing would have made more sense, & so that she could have an ongoing bloodline like Mothra (and cut out that earth spirit silliness). This also would have explained why Battra was shown as an adult in the cave painting but was a larva again when it resurfaced millions of years later "shrugs"

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:So, was Battra a bad guy in the first place or did he turn him good when Mothra showed a sign of friendship above the water?
Neither, really. Battra is basically chaotic neutral. He doesn't give a fuck about killing a few thousand of those awful planet-destroying humans, but he still cares about the Earth as a whole, hence why it's directly said that Battra was originally going to be the one to stop the meteor in 1999.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

I think this is the one Heisei movie I go back to the least (well excluding G1985/Godzilla Returns which I don't have a copy of) . I just find the Heisei GvM kind of dull. Not bad. Not unwatchable. Not stupid. Just not real exciting. The puppet nature of Mothra and Battra make the final fight look like something from the It's a Small World Disney ride.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

The dubbing for the Cosmos is dreadfully terrible
kamilleblu wrote:
KaijuDuke wrote:
Since Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla films have used Hong Kong dubs for international releases. After the 1960s, American distributers stopped producing their own dubs. I think the only exceptions to this were G85 and Sony's dub for Godzilla 2000.
Well this explains a lot.

I always enjoyed watching most of the Showa films dubbed, while subtitles are the way to go for Heisei and Millenium era films.

They'll probably go this route with the new 2016 film too
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.