Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:
Grievous wrote:
Different & experimental doesn't mean boring.

:P
Hhaha, no but different and experimental doesn't mean it can't be boring too.
That is true...

But I don't find the Godzilla Anime Trilogy boring.

Wasted Potential? Yes.
Dour & Depressing? Yes.
Hollow & Pointless? Maybe...

But not boring.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Grievous wrote:
Different & experimental doesn't mean boring.

:P
Hhaha, no but different and experimental doesn't mean it can't be boring too.
That is true...

But I don't find the Godzilla Anime Trilogy boring.

Wasted Potential? Yes.
Dour & Depressing? Yes.
Hollow & Pointless? Maybe...

But not boring.

:thumbsup:
Glad someone doesn't because I checked the time through both of those.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Glad someone doesn't because I checked the time through both of those.
Funny if you had a Godzilla watch...

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Glad someone doesn't because I checked the time through both of those.
Funny if you had a Godzilla watch...
...now I need to track one down.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:...now I need to track one down.
Funny if you found one themed around the Anime Trilogy...

:lol:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The first two anime movies (can't speak for TPE yet) aren't too boring, but Godzilla himself is. He's just so lifeless and limited. And ugly.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:The first two anime movies (can't speak for TPE yet) aren't too boring, but Godzilla himself is. He's just so lifeless and limited. And ugly.
Well...he is more like a tree than a living animal in those films...
& Godzilla has always been ugly right?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Grievous wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:The first two anime movies (can't speak for TPE yet) aren't too boring, but Godzilla himself is. He's just so lifeless and limited. And ugly.
Well...he is more like a tree than a living animal in those films...
& Godzilla has always been ugly right?

I mean... I guess you can use the tree excuse, and it might even be kind of valid. But I don't have to like it. :lol: Besides, Biollante didn't have this problem.

And ha ha. You know I meant ugly as in poorly designed from an aesthetic standpoint. Which is subjective, of course, but still.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:I mean... I guess you can use the tree excuse, and it might even be kind of valid. But I don't have to like it. :lol:
I know its "kind of" valid...that's why I said it...and no...
you don't have to like it.
JAGzilla wrote:Besides, Biollante didn't have this problem.
Well...Biollante wasn't made of organic metal...
she was clearly made of pure greenery.
JAGzilla wrote:And ha ha. You know I meant ugly as in poorly designed from an aesthetic standpoint. Which is subjective, of course, but still.
I honestly don't mind the anime design. Its kind of plain
but I understand what they were going for.

He's more like a "monolithic living statue" than an animal
& that's fine. Its different...and I like different...apart
from the Glass Iguana of course.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Godzilla vs Biollante has this wonderful, hazy, dreamlike quality to it. There’s definitely a lot of unintentional cheese, mostly stemming from the spiritual subplot. But there’s a lot of great moments, too. The bazooka scene is so badass. The scene on the lake with Rose Biollante is haunting. And Godzilla’s attack on Osaka is probably the most atmospheric kaiju rampage since the original Gojira. Biollante’s final form is spectacular as well, but much like the final form of The Thing, she doesn’t do much before getting blasted away. This is a weird entry in that it’s definitely not talked about very much, but when it is, people seem to love it. It’s the black sheep of the Heisei series, in a good way.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Goji89! I'm callin' you out, you sunovabitch! I just rewatched this TRASH the other night. It bored me to tears. The suit looks HORRIBLE in some shots. Come on out, now.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:Goji89! I'm callin' you out, you sunovabitch! I just rewatched this TRASH the other night. It bored me to tears. The suit looks HORRIBLE in some shots. Come on out, now.

Goji89, come out to PLAAAAAYYYYYYAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Yeah the suit used in the water scenes is definitely substandard. Boxier, less detailed, stiff as hell...
Last edited by LockBite on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That's just Godzilla's arthritis acting up from the cold. His joints tend to swell...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzilla never looked better in the Heisei films than he does here. He was photographed very well and the atmospheric lighting enhances that. Plus, Omori does some inspired things with the human cast as well. He should have stayed in the director's chair for the rest of the Heisei films. But the music and sound editing. I have to agree with Maritonic. At times it is genuinely awful. Music has never taken me out of a Godzilla film before.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

kamilleblu wrote:Godzilla never looked better in the Heisei films than he does here. He was photographed very well and the atmospheric lighting enhances that. Plus, Omori does some inspired things with the human cast as well. He should have stayed in the director's chair for the rest of the Heisei films. But the music and sound editing. I have to agree with Maritonic. At times it is genuinely awful. Music has never taken me out of a Godzilla film before.
Yeah, the Bio-Wars track does not fit in, but what the fuck is wrong with the rest of the music? I can’t comprehend why anyone would hate the track as a whole. Unless the aforementioned track just aggravated you to the point it consumed your mind and completely ignored the other music in the film.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I think the score is a mixed bag. The music used during Godzilla's second battle with the Super X-2 is grating and I think it's used during the rematch between Godzilla and Biollante as well. The music used at the end is too cheery for my tastes. It kills the mood. Though I do like the Love Theme, Asuka's Theme, and the music associated with Biollante. Akira Ifukube disliked Bio Wars and The Saradia Republic music. I think his displeasure with the score of this film is part of what inspired him to come back.

Edit: I don't mind Bio-Wars.
Last edited by kamilleblu on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

None of the music really fits in well, it's chopped up and place haphazardly across the film. It's fine to listen to on it's own and does add a unique texture to the movie, but the rushed nature of it's composing and editing into the film is evident. It's actually a bit representative of the movie itself. It's good and has some great highlights but the flaws that build up prevent it from being as great as most fans claim it is.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:None of the music really fits in well, it's chopped up and place haphazardly across the film. It's fine to listen to on it's own and does add a unique texture to the movie, but the rushed nature of it's composing and editing into the film is evident.
For an example of poor editing, Godzilla's Theme ends abruptly during his rampage through Osaka. The music is swelling and then it just cuts off.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:It's actually a bit representative of the movie itself. It's good and has some great highlights but the flaws that build up prevent it from being as great as most fans claim it is.
I think some of the love stems from the films its surrounded by. Visually it's the best of the Heisei line, it improves on the battle concepts from The Return of Godzilla, and in my opinion it has the best Heisei cast of characters. Gondo is awesome, Major Kuroki was a fresh perspective on the military side of things, SSS9 was neat, and it arguably has Miki's best role.
Last edited by kamilleblu on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I think to me the kind of haphazard, choppy elements of Biollante are part of its charm. But I have a real fondness for kind of anarchic collage element in art and entertainment. I don't think it's a feeling anybody involved with the production was going for intentionally, but it ends up clicking for me personally. I can also see where, to other people, it could just seem sloppy. And there are places where I wish the music editing was smoothed out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.