Toho Considers Godzilla 2000 Part Of Heisei Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
ZillaEra
GPN Volunteer

Toho Considers Godzilla 2000 Part Of Heisei Series

Post by ZillaEra »

Maybe as Godzilla Junior grown up? In links from Toho's official website, he and Orga are included with all of the other Heisei monster designs. Even one page has Godzilla 2000 featured on a Heisei website banner. Another page lists the Hesei Series 1984~???? with Godzilla 2000 listed amongst the movies in that series.

Links:
http://www.toho-a-park.com/character/go ... index.html
http://www.toho-a-park.com/character/godzilla/il.html
http://www.toho-a-park.com/character/godzilla/1984.html

Navigated from Toho's official website:
http://www.toho.co.jp/
Searched Godzilla:
http://gmini.toho.co.jp/search?q=godzil ... 0&btnG.y=0
Found above pages in links.

I beleive Orga may be like the Biollante to Godzilla Junior. Both Biollante and Orga want/use Godzilla's DNA, both even try to swallow him, and get destroyed for doing so.

I think this is a good defense that Godzilla 2000 links directly with the Heisei series, as Godzilla 2000 being Godzilla Junior all grown up and mutated after the ending of Godzilla Vs. Destroyah. Why else would they list Godzilla 2000 amongst movies from the series 1984~???? right below listing the Showa series from 1954~1975?

What do you think about all this?
AYBABTU.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Toho Considers Godzilla 2000 Part Of Heisei Series

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Probably because it was released during the historical "Heisei" era, which is still ongoing. Every entry from Biollante through Final Wars has technically been a Heisei-era film. It's the same reason many Japanese resources consider Godzilla '84 the final Showa film in the series, despite the fact that it kicks of the Heisei storyline.
That's why I prefer when the modern films are broken into "vs" series and "X" series, although that's not terribly accurate, either, since only two of the Millennium films used "X" in their titles.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Interesting, but since the page evidently hasn't been updated since 2000, I wouldn't put too much faith in it. This is also the same page that groups the 92-94 Godzilla suits together (while I can't read Japanese, this is apparently supposed to be a complete listing of the Godzilla suits. In actuality, the three films from 92 to 94 used different suits).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Probably because it was released during the historical "Heisei" era, which is still ongoing. Every entry from Biollante through Final Wars has technically been a Heisei-era film. It's the same reason many Japanese resources consider Godzilla '84 the final Showa film in the series, despite the fact that it kicks of the Heisei storyline.
That's why I prefer when the modern films are broken into "vs" series and "X" series, although that's not terribly accurate, either, since only two of the Millennium films used "X" in their titles.
Isn't the Millennium Series also known as the "Sinshi"(spelling) series?
"Shinsei," meaning "reconceived" or "reborn" in this context. I've heard that before, but I'd completely forgotten about it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ Yeah what he said. Still, I don't see how some fans think that Godzilla 2000 is Junior in any way, shape, or form. 2000 is a completely different universe.

#BotM

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Godzilla165 wrote:^ Yeah what he said. Still, I don't see how some fans think that Godzilla 2000 is Junior in any way, shape, or form. 2000 is a completely different universe.
Would be kind of awesome if it was Junior.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Toho also stated that Godzilla 2000 was to be a brand new series unrelated to the Showa or Heisei series.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ZillaEra
GPN Volunteer

Post by ZillaEra »

CTHimes wrote:Interesting, but since the page evidently hasn't been updated since 2000, I wouldn't put too much faith in it. This is also the same page that groups the 92-94 Godzilla suits together (while I can't read Japanese, this is apparently supposed to be a complete listing of the Godzilla suits. In actuality, the three films from 92 to 94 used different suits).
If you translate the Japanese it states why it grouped these, it says each suit over these years "slowly makes improvements and changes".

But after finishing my translations I also proved myself wrong, as it says the Godzilla in Godzilla Vs. Destroyah "decorates the end of the Heisei series Godzilla". It also clearly states Godzilla 2000 is the start of a brand new series, not at all connected to the Heisei Era of Godzilla films. I still wish I could somehow link Godzilla Junior to Godzilla 2000, but alas, my argument is done.
AYBABTU.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ZillaEra wrote:If you translate the Japanese it states why it grouped these, it says each suit over these years "slowly makes improvements and changes".
I don't doubt that's what it says, but it's still wrong. Toho built new suits in 92, 93 and 94. In fact, the 92 and 93 suits are used alongside the new 94 suit in GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA. Also, the 94 costume was "redecorated" to make Burning Godzilla, so it's odd that those two are listed separately, unless they're talking about general design. Even then, it's odd that they didn't incorporate the Bio/Gido-Goji. Ah, I'm over-thinking the whole thing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

CTHimes wrote:
ZillaEra wrote:If you translate the Japanese it states why it grouped these, it says each suit over these years "slowly makes improvements and changes".
I don't doubt that's what it says, but it's still wrong. Toho built new suits in 92, 93 and 94. In fact, the 92 and 93 suits are used alongside the new 94 suit in GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA. Also, the 94 costume was "redecorated" to make Burning Godzilla, so it's odd that those two are listed separately, unless they're talking about general design. Even then, it's odd that they didn't incorporate the Bio/Gido-Goji. Ah, I'm over-thinking the whole thing.
I would suggest that the Bio/Gido-Goji is more obviously different to the naked eye from the 92-94 suits than they are from each other. While there are differences among those suits, they represent basically the same design, whereas the change in eye color alone is enough that one doesn't have to make a detailed study of the suits to be able to differentiate them.

ZillaEra
GPN Volunteer

Post by ZillaEra »

CTHimes wrote:
I think the text implies they are each a new suit for 92, 93, 94, just that they only made subtle changes with each new suit. This is an official Toho Affiliated website, and Toho has a link to it from their main site, so their info should be accurate, just a bit lost in translation, and not updated for ages (explaining my initial confusion before my translations). But, yes, I'd have to agree they seperated them by general design, it's the only way it makes sense. I agree it's odd Bio/Gido-Goji isn't grouped with 92, 93, 94, but as stated by eabaker it is probably because he is just a bit more noticeably different from these three. The text also states something about Bio/Gido-Goji having a more pronounced chest, but I'm not sure if it's implying more pronouced than Godzilla in general, or specifically 84' or 92, 93, 94. This might seperate it in their eyes if it means the latter, I don't know, it's a bit fuzzy for me here. Also it does state Des-Goji as Godzilla having been decorated for the finale.
AYBABTU.