So who actually likes the Heisei series?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Breakdown
Keizer

So who actually likes the Heisei series?

Post by Breakdown »

Recently Ive noticed the Heisei series getting a lot of heat for many reasons. Besides me, is there anyone else who actually likes the Heisei series?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Re: So who actually likes the Heisei series?

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

It has ups-and-downs for me. I like Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla vs. Biollante. Definitely a nice start to a new series and the darker aspects of the films were a nice refresher from the end of the Showa series. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah I'm a bit conflicted on because although I love the new Godzilla and the monster fight (not to mention the Godzilla-Shindo face-to-face is one of my favorite moments in all the Godzilla films), but the human element begins to run stale in the series, and typically only gets worse in the next films. GvMothra and GvMG are both meh to me, and I can't stand the human or monster scenes in Space Godzilla. I think it's one of the more boring climaxes in the franchise. But it ended with a bang with Destroyah. It was nice to keep flashing back to the original, Godzilla was such a badass in it (love the opening scene), and the ending was touching. It felt pretty epic for a Hesei film, despite it not being much "cleaner" than the previous films plot-wise.

It's not nearly as good as Showa (which had better actors/characters and way more fun monster battles), but better than Millennium, with the exception of GMK, all the films kind of feel like straight to DVD or Sci Fi original films.

Mitchal
Interpol Agent

Post by Mitchal »

Favorite series for me. It probobly has the best "Godzilla as a character" feeling.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

The Return of Godzilla is one of my favorites. Regardless, I feel it's the worst of the 3 Japanese series. I don't hate it at all, though, they're just bad films.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

It's more realistic I suppose. They stripped him of his kung fu skillz and made him more animal. A few movie ideas just weren't very good though
"A monster can live forever"

DeadpoolsbetterThanU
JXSDF Technician

Post by DeadpoolsbetterThanU »

I think this is my favorite series.
CHIMICHANGA!!!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Nothing says AMURIKA like cars, explosives, guns, hot chicks, and tons of money being spent on it.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

When I first got the chance to watch the Heisei era it nearly derailed my whole fandom toward Godzilla. Even more so after viewing the Gamera films.
I lost all interest in Godzilla for years after that. Even my family was shocked!
The Millennium era help alittle bit to get me back, but it wasn't intell I got out of college and had the money to start buying the Showa movies on DVDs that I became a Godzilla fan all over again.

Sorry guys, Heisei just doesn't do it for me.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

To me the Heisei series has two good jems (Godzilla 1985 & Godzilla vs Biollante), three decent movies (Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, Godzilla vs Destroyer) with two sub par borefests (Godzilla & Mothra: Battle for Earth & Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla) while this series is decent and it makes Godzilla more animal like but however the acting in many of the films is just bland and it has characters that I don't really like
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I like it. Used to be my favorite series, although it's hard to decide nowadays. I like them all, just for different reasons.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

HayesAJones wrote:I like it. Used to be my favorite series, although it's hard to decide nowadays. I like them all, just for different reasons.
I agree. It has its ups and downs but overall its a good era for Godzilla.
It has BIOLLANTE, GHIDORAH and ROG which for me are easily the best of the Heisei timeline.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

The Heisei series has a bucket load of problems that many folks here have pointed out many times. But I like it the most. The monsters looked pretty damn titanic and all powerful, Godzilla was a much bigger focus, the bits with recurring characters sort of left a sense of familiarity throughout the different films. Stuff like that.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

For the record, I don't hate the Heisei series. It has it's ups and downs, and there are films that I really enjoy, such as Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II. Aside from GFW, there is at least one thing I enjoy about every single Godzilla film.

If you want my overall feelings on the Heisei series, here they are from the "Discussion: The Heisei Age" thread:

I'd say that the Heisei series in general is a disappointment. I don't hate it, nor is it that bad. But it could have been so much more than what it was. Made at an age when the special effects were better than the 60s and 70s, with bigger budgets and a company more willing to help out than in the past. Yet, the results weren't impressive. Not even close to what the Showa series was.

The Return Of Godzilla: Outside of the atmosphere of the film and the music, its a pretty boring film. It doesn't take any chances that any other Godzilla film has taken, therefore it doesn't feel special or memorable. Godzilla's attack on Tokyo lasts most of the film, and gets old pretty fast. The characters aren't memorable and one-dimensional, yet most of what happens throughout the film happens to them. For that reason, I don't care about the characters or the action itself. Overall, there are a few nice things about it, but its not a good Godzilla film.

Godzilla vs. Biollante: Probably the best of the Heisei series. A story that stays interesting, even when Godzilla's not around, characters that are interesting and complex (especially Dr. Shiragami), and it manages to intertwine the human story and the monster story together very nicely to make it feel complete (rather than most of the Heisei series). The action scenes are fun to watch, last long enough to the point where they don't become stale and feel very reminiscent of the Showa era, which is always nice. Not to mention the music is very atmospheric and pumps new life into some scenes.

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: A pretty good film, at least the second half of the film is. The plot is a typical time travel scenario, and gets old, if not a little confusing, at certain points. The film doesn't get interesting until Godzilla finally shows up to fight King Ghidorah, where it then becomes awesome. The fight scenes between Godzilla and Ghidorah are what all of the fights in the Heisei series should have been like, but usually failed. The effects could be bad sometimes (like King Ghidorah flying), but I'm more willing to accept those bad effects if what's going on is interesting. This one really feels like two different films, the first half coming off like a combination of Invasion Of The Astro-Monster and Back To The Future, while the second half feels a bit like the best parts of Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth: *sigh* This is the worst film of the Heisei series, by far. Its uninteresting, uninspired and just an overall bad time. My main complaint is that there is nothing original about this film. Everything about it is stolen from at least one other source, especially Mothra and Mothra vs. Godzilla, both of which are WAY better films, so why not watch those films instead? On top of that, why is Godzilla even in this film? Godzilla offers up nothing to this film, and could have easily been written out. All he provides is someone for Mothra to fight, which could have been done through Battra. It's just not a good film.

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II: It knows exactly what it wants to be: a daikaiju film that has Godzilla fighting MechaGodzilla. It sticks to that, and keeps my attention for its run time. The effects are pretty good, the fights are pretty damn cool, if not a little slow, and I really like the ending. The story is uninteresting, as are the characters, but the film knows that the audience isn't here to see characters talk, and packs in as much action as possible. So, I like the film for at least knowing that its here to have a bunch of action and effects, with as little story as possible.

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla: The final fight is fun to watch. That's the only good thing that I can say about it. Other than that, the effects suck, the story is uninteresting, the characters bland or cliche, and is just all around Heisei badness. But, once it finally gets to Godzilla and MOGUERA against Space Godzilla, that's when the film begins. Its pretty bad, but not the worst.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah: For the death of Godzilla, it's a pretty boring film, much like The Return Of Godzilla. The opening attack is pretty standard Godzilla-fare, and then its becomes about the blandest characters imaginable. My main complaint with the film is that the characters we follow know that Godzilla is dying, and for most of the film, believe that his death will lead to the end of all life on earth. Yet, they seem unaffected by this. These characters just don't seem to give a damn that the world could be ending at any minute. These people should be losing their nerves, breaking down in cold sweats or tears, trembling while doing the simplest of things, cracking under the pressure that they face (being the ones to have to stop Godzilla's meltdown). That would have made for a more interesting film. Instead, these people don't do a damn thing, and make for uninteresting characters. Since we follow them for most of the film, that makes the film uninteresting. However, I will say that the last 10 or 15 minutes of the film are amazing, and some of the most powerful moments in the entire Godzilla franchise. It saves the film, but not enough for me to say that it's one of the better Godzilla films.

When I first watched the Heisei series as a kid, I enjoyed it just as much as I enjoyed the Showa series. But, as I grew older, I started to appreciate the Showa series for its story and characters as much as I did for its action scenes. I can't say the same for the Heisei series. I feel like most of the entries in it were quick cash-ins for Toho, especially after Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth. Entries that have no thought put into them, and built only with the intention of pleasing the audience for an hour and a half, and making some money in the process. These films could have been better than most of the Showa films, which is why I'm so disappointed by them. What could have been something great and awesome, became a mixed bag of a few good films and some pretty bad disappointing ones.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

The Heisei series has three great films which are Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2, Godzilla vs Destroyah and Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla (Go ahead sue me!) Though it has its crap movies like Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle for Earth. It's been a really long time since I've Seen The Return of Godzilla or Godzilla vs Biollante so I can't comment on them.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Reaper Man
Monsterland Worker

Post by Reaper Man »

I like all three series'.
Seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I like the Heisei series. It's the series I grew up with. I can't help but enjoy every aspect of it, even the horrendous Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla.
For the most part, my favorite films are indeed The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

I do.
I grew up around those movies, I understand the flaws but hey, no movie is perfect.
Plus Megumi Odaka is a babe. ;)
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shadow wrote: Plus Megumi Odaka is a babe. ;)
Did she play Mothra? ;)

I like the heisei series, even the much hated GvM. That was my first heisei film, and I still like it, despite the dubbing getting on my nerves.Plus, I find the heisei originals to be pretty cool. With some of the remake monsters I prefer the Showa versions, like Ghidorah, Mecha-G, and Rodan.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Shadow wrote:Plus Megumi Odaka is a babe. ;)
http://markvine.com/images/Godzilla/God ... Odaka2.jpg

....*shivers* Ewww.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

@Kaiju-King42: Ha! Good one mate.
@GXG: How is that eww, it's *Drools*.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

@GXG: How is that eww, it's *Drools*.
What I see in that picture is pretty bad. I think Megumi Odaka is pretty ugly.