So who actually likes the Heisei series?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Shadow
Futurian

Re: So who actually likes the Heisei series?

Post by Shadow »

^I respect you opinion sir.
Plus there are better pics than that.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The Heisei is a better series than any of it's individual films are great films, in my opinion. Does that make sense?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Meaning that it's greater than the sum of its parts, basically? Yeah that makes sense...though I don't necessarily agree.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I enjoy all of the series and as I reflect on the Heisei series it has some really good movies. Godzilla vs Destroyah is one of my favorites. I love time travel movies and Godzilla vs King Ghodirah is just wacky and fun!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

scarecrow
Monarch Researcher

Post by scarecrow »

Godzilla returns (1985)- I loved it.So dark and gloomy yet such a thrill to watch.The music was outstanding.I liked American and original version.I liked having Raymond Burr (R.I.P)

Godzilla vs Biollante- Great and one of my favorites.A great squeal, Toho really outdone themselves with this movie, you can tell by the camera angles, Godzilla's close ups.

Godzilla vs KingGhidorah- I loved the time traveling concept of the film it just worked well but it confused the timeline as well.KingGhidorah could had been just a little stronger though.Mecha Kingghidorah was great and all but the fight seen really wasn't the most memorable Godzilla fight scene ever.

Godzilla vs Mothra- I am not a Mothra hater.I thought the movie was ok, the team work between Mothra & Battra was good.It's just that Battra's beams really bugged me.The movie was a little boring sometimes but in the end it's a worth watching film.

Godzilla vs MG2- It's personally one of my favorites.But when Rodan died that pissed me off.

Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla- oh boy...um.Well as a fan of Biollante it is alright of a film.

Godzilla vs Destroyah - Great way to end the era.I really have no complaints of this film.
https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc= ... fid=8&_rdr

^If you like my fanfics, feel free to follow me on Facebook

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

JVM wrote:The Heisei is a better series than any of it's individual films are great films, in my opinion. Does that make sense?
Godzilla vs. Biollante > The hesei series in my opinion.

If I just watch Biollante, I have this feeling that Godzilla films are actually well-developed, well acted, contain witty dialogue, cool SFX and great presentation.

Then I watch the rest of the hesei series and Biollante becomes the exception....the rest is too much Mothra, too much MechaGodzilla, too much Space Godzilla to keep me feeling so positive. I mean the movies not those particular monsters.

JoBattra
GPN Volunteer

Post by JoBattra »

The Heisei series is my personal favorite
Lots of great kaiju designs, some of the best fight scenes, special effects were TOO awful
scarecrow wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:
Reaper Man wrote:Shipping in general is never a good idea.
Yet I'm compelled to post here.

Megalon and Moguera.

*Drilling noises*

mecagodzillax
Yojimbo

Post by mecagodzillax »

i love the heisei series its my fav of them all

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

I think godzilla vs destroyah and godzilla vs mechagodzilla II were the best in this series. They are still good compared to the other movies.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Biollante is a better film than Destroyah and MechaGodzilla 2 combined.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:Biollante is a better film than Destroyah and MechaGodzilla 2 combined.
To my last breath, I will agree with that statement.

I also really love Godzilla 1985, and (I know not everybody is with me on this one) think that GvsKing Ghidorah's strengths more than make up for its weaknesses, and that it's one of the most interesting and challenging Godzilla movies ever produced.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I do enjoy the Heisei series. It had some entertaining movies, definitely.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

I personally like the Heisei movies; they were some of the first Godzilla movies I watched when I was a kid. I will agree that I'm a bit mixed on some of them, though... one of them being SpaceGodzilla, much to the shock and awe of everyone.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

ZillaMaster91 wrote:I like the Heisei series. It's the series I grew up with. I can't help but enjoy every aspect of it, even the horrendous Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla.
For the most part, my favorite films are indeed The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.
Same here. I love the monster designs, and how powerful the monsters are, also that it's actually a series.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

Heisei series is actually my favorite. It's the series that really got me into Godzilla, so I could be a little biased. However I don't really think any of the Heisei films are all that bad, I can see why others could possibly think they are, but I can't come to that myself.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Even if the films as a whole disappoint me, there are a lot of things about the Heisei Godzilla series that I can appreciate. The consistent Godzilla design (even factoring in the added weight, and limited mobility of the suit) from Biollante onwards, there are some fantastic effects, the updated music, and the designs for monsters like Biollante, Rodan, and Mecha-King Ghidorah. I like Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah as movies, even factoring in the many flaws in all of them. Hell, the only Heisei movie I outright hate is Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla. I don't think very highly of Godzilla 1985 or Godzilla vs. Mothra, but even in those I can find things to like. The plots to a lot of the movies are definitely interesting enough, and in more talented hands, they could have been something really special ("Godzilla returns after a 30-year absence, in a world much different than the one he left"; "Godzilla battles a cross between a plant and his DNA"; "Godzilla comes full circle when he battles the descendant of the one weapon that killed him, while at the same time dying himself" - it all sounds very cool).

Fighing On Fuji
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fighing On Fuji »

I have a love/hate relationship with the Heisei series.

On one hand, I love the monster designs. I love how RADIOACTIVE Godzilla feels; like if you walked too close to him, you'd die 40 years early. Godzilla is so awesomely feline. I enjoy the new sound effects it brought to the table, especially from Godzilla himself. Furthermore, Destroyah and Biollante are two of my favorite kaiju.

On the other hand, I hate how downright STUPID it feels sometimes. Things like the hovering pterodactyl are even worse than Jet Jaguar because the films take themselves just as seriously as ever even as this ridiculous stuff is introduced.

Also, the ham-fisted writing is horrendous at times. At first, the topical themes were handled rather nicely, especially in Return of Godzilla. The problems really started with the jingoistic nature of Ghidorah, and continued right through the otherwise poignant death scene of Godzilla in Destroyah, which gets hampered by the line, "All that stupid use of nuclear energy." Wow, real subtle. I'm not trying to start any political debates on these forums, but you don't have to disagree with that philosophy to admit that that line should've been omitted.

It doesn't have to be political, either. Those lines about Baby and Godzilla being familial were so cheesy and forced. In fact, those might have been the worst offenders.

My biggest gripe, and the reason why Biollante and Destroyah are my two favorite Heisei films, is that the monsters never seem to physically brawl outside of those films. They're always just shooting pretty beams and falling slowly, then getting back up. This isn't a battle between Star Destroyers. Fight!

Jirass
Monsterland Worker

Post by Jirass »

I love Godzilla's designs throughout the Heisei films. That much I'm always happy with. Godzilla Vs Biollante is the undisputed best of the series, I think that much is pretty clear. I also have a fondness for MechaGodzilla II. I haven't rewatched SpaceG or Destroyah in several years, and I'll probably rewatch them both this week.
Fire Rodan appears to have had a delicious caramel filling.
Shadow wrote:
Jirass wrote:Willy Wonka & The Mechagodzilla Factory
'Take a seat, at his feet, and prepare for you annihilation. It's nothing to fear, jump with cheer, for his inner workings defy... explanation.'

Sachiel
Monarch Researcher

Post by Sachiel »

The Heisei series is both the greatest thing ever and the worst thing ever for me. Overall though, I would probably have to say it has more strengths than it does weaknesses. The continuity found between films is amazing. And the updated looks for all the monsters was definitely awesome. The blunders for me were the special effects shortcuts made with the very frequent stiff flying props used, bad composite work, terrible/questionable model and suit work.

For me the worst of the films was definitely Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla. Never did like those two films too much, despite the awesome creature designs.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I recently finished re-watching the second Heisei Gamera film, and looking back at Godzilla's share of cinematic adventures at the time, it's almost completely inexcusable how much better they could have been. Everything Gamera did right, Godzilla failed miserably at, be it special effects, music, a decent storyline, atmosphere, you name it. It's supremely ironic how a once B-grade wannabe now manages to trump his superior at every card, and how a series can just suddenly shift from a gritty (Not the wrong way, mind you) warning about the ethics of nuclear war and bioengineering, to a surprisingly boring technicolor adventure filled with evil time traveling Americans and black hole dodging space clones.

Though I could honestly go on all day, I will just further enforce how shoddily the effects work for the 1990s films were handled. I am aware how tightly scheduled these films were, but the finished result is exactly what it looks like: Well built stunt actors in grossly over padded, virtually immobile chunks of latex, struggling to find their targets in shower drain vision, all while under the intense heat of studio lights. There is no creative camera work to hide these faults either, just overly revealing static longshots and poorly framed tightshots. Gamera and his opponents actually looked like believable living breathing creatures and the cinematography and integration into the live action shots were spot on.