So who actually likes the Heisei series?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Re: So who actually likes the Heisei series?

Post by Gojira1963 »

SaferEmerald wrote:

Started with Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster actually

Good point, you're right.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I'm being "defensive" because what you're saying either doesn't really make any sense ("the better SPX of the Heisei" series), or simply isn't true (Godzilla was a "hero" In MONSTER ZERO? No).
Gojira1963 wrote: Godzilla slowly began to be the Hero in Invasion of the Astro-Monster.
No, he didn't. He was under control throughout the entire film, up until the end. He (and Rodan) had beef with Ghidorah, which is why they clashed, even after becoming self aware. Where does 'defending Japan' come into play here? It doesn't.
In the Island films Godzilla is not depicted as a seriouis bad guy.
Okay, and? This suddenly means he's a "good guy", or a "hero"? :roll:
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Goji wrote:I'm being "defensive" because what you're saying either doesn't really make any sense ("the better SPX of the Heisei" series), or simply isn't true (Godzilla was a "hero" In MONSTER ZERO? No).
Gojira1963 wrote: Godzilla slowly began to be the Hero in Invasion of the Astro-Monster.
No, he didn't. He was under control throughout the entire film, up until the end. He (and Rodan) had beef with Ghidorah, which is why they clashed, even after becoming self aware. Where does 'defending Japan' come into play here? It doesn't.

What I say doesn't have to make sense to anyone but myself. That is why these are personal opinions. I enjoy discussing things but in the spirit of fun and I do not mean to make anyone defensive.

By the start of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster Godzilla was becoming a force for Good even if it was unwillingly. He was no longer the monster that was a force of nature that was attacking Japan.

He might not have been labeled a hero in these films but the slow progressing toward being the good guy began with those earlier Showa films.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

SaferEmerald
Samurai

Post by SaferEmerald »

Goji wrote:I'm being "defensive" because what you're saying either doesn't really make any sense ("the better SPX of the Heisei" series), or simply isn't true (Godzilla was a "hero" In MONSTER ZERO? No).
The last one is open to interpretation, but it was certainly the vibe he was giving off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLIV9uQtLM

Making him more approachable to children

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gojira1963 wrote: What I say doesn't have to make sense to anyone but myself.
Then why are you posting on an internet message board?
By the start of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster Godzilla was becoming a force for Good even if it was unwillingly. He was no longer the monster that was a force of nature that was attacking Japan.
Except that, you know, Godzilla is introduced via him destroying an ocean liner, and then reaching land, and attacking Japan before King Ghidorah is even born.
He might not have been labeled a hero in these films but the slow progressing toward being the good guy began with those earlier Showa films.
Yes, this is true. You finally said something that makes sense! *corks wine*
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Goji wrote:Then why are you posting on an internet message board?
To discuss topics and share differences of opinions. It would be very boring around here if we all thought the same.
Goji wrote:Except that, you know, Godzilla is introduced via him destroying an ocean liner, and then reaching land, and attacking Japan before King Ghidorah is even born.
As I said this movie begins the process of Godzilla being used as a force for Good. In this movie he defends the earth even though he is reluctant at first.
Goji wrote:Yes, this is true. You finally said something that makes sense! *corks wine*
Thank you. :)
Liam F.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gojira1963 wrote:To discuss topics and share differences of opinions. It would be very boring around here if we all thought the same.
You don't seem to understand what I'm getting at here.

This is the second time you've said "what I say only has to make sense to anyone but myself" as a defense for why you like what you like. This is not critical thinking. It's a cop out response.

What I'm suggesting is that you may as well not be posting on a message board if you can't illustrate why you like something, and are only going to reply with- "well it makes sense to me, sooo, there"-type of responses. You following me?

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Goji wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:To discuss topics and share differences of opinions. It would be very boring around here if we all thought the same.

This is the second time you've said "what I say only has to make sense to anyone but myself" as a defense for why you like what you like. This is not critical thinking. It's a cop out response.

What I'm suggesting is that you may as well not be posting on a message board if you can't illustrate why you like something, and are only going to reply with- "well it makes sense to me, sooo, there"-type of responses. You following me?

I understand what you're saying. I do see a distinction between a dicussion about facts verses a discussion about opinions. If I say I like The Heisei Series better that is my opinion. Sure, I can try to justify that opinion but as a mental health counselor I shy away from justification of opinions because they are not really necessary.

For example, I like the design of the Heisei suit better than the Showa suit because to me the Showa suit in the mid 60s and 70s was too muppet like and cartoony. If someone likes the Showa suit and disagrees with me does that make either of us wrong or do we just have a difference of opinion?

Facts can be debated because we can even interpret facts differently.
Liam F.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Gojira1963 wrote:By the start of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster Godzilla was becoming a force for Good even if it was unwillingly. He was no longer the monster that was a force of nature that was attacking Japan.

You're right Gojira1963. It's not that he was a strict hero right then, but everyone knows that was when it all started, and he was regarded in a friendlier and friendlier light from then on (aside from being controlled by frickin aliens which is an exception). People really like to word dissect.
"A monster can live forever"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gojira1963 wrote:
Goji wrote:

I understand what you're saying. I do see a distinction between a dicussion about facts verses a discussion about opinions. If I say I like The Heisei Series better that is my opinion. Sure, I can try to justify that opinion but as a mental health counselor I shy away from justification of opinions because they are not really necessary.
Well, none oft he covnersations on this board are necessary. It's nto about necessity, it's about building and maintaining a friendly environment in which to discuss our opinions.

The only issue here is this: when discussing our opinions of movies, we all use facts about those movies to explain our perspectives. The opinions cannot be questioned, but the facts can.

It seems like, when you are questioned about the facts that you cite, you tend to rush to, "It's just my opinion."

At the same time, so of the other posters here can be a little harsh when someone doesn't agree with them, so I'm certainly not trying to say that you're in the wrong here.

Just that we could all maybe be a little more constructive in the flow of our back-and-forth (and I count myself in that; I can be a real prick sometimes).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

^ I understand and in the future will offer more information on why I like the things that I do. :D
Liam F.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

eabaker wrote:
At the same time, so of the other posters here can be a little harsh when someone doesn't agree with them, so I'm certainly not trying to say that you're in the wrong here.

Just that we could all maybe be a little more constructive in the flow of our back-and-forth (and I count myself in that; I can be a real prick sometimes).
Yeah, that's all me. Sorry about that. I tend to get annoyed when I get childish responses from fellow "adult" fans. I just find it kind of obnoxious.

For the record, I haven't seen any instances of you being a prick, eabaker. You're a hell of a lot more civil than I am, and have a much more constructive (and polite) way of tearing down people's nonsense. :lol:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Goji wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Yeah, that's all me. Sorry about that. I tend to get annoyed when I get childish responses from fellow "adult" fans. I just find it kind of obnoxious.

For the record, I haven't seen any instances of you being a prick, eabaker. You're a hell of a lot more civil than I am, and have a much more constructive (and polite) way of tearing down people's nonsense. :lol:
I've lost my cool a few times in the Godzilla Final Wars thread, and I've made some fairly rash statements in various General Discussion topics (though most of those I've edited into oblivion - I go back and edit myself a fair amount).

Now, go back in time to 1997, and you'll find me being a total jackass all over the Godzilla.com boards.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^Pfft. We're Godzilla fans. It's almost mandatory that we put our proverbial feet in our mouths. Now, if you can acknowledge that you've done so; that's a different tale for a different time...
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Captain Aktion wrote:^Pfft. We're Godzilla fans. It's almost mandatory that we put our proverbial feet in our mouths. Now, if you can acknowledge that you've done so; that's a different tale for a different time...
"The reckless ambitions of Man are often dwarfed by their dangerous consequences."

SaferEmerald
Samurai

Post by SaferEmerald »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Those are hardly campy at all. Not to mention, which version of KKvsG did you watch?
US version.

And wut

You have the Pharmaceutical company guy in KKvG, Godzilla wagging his tail for KK to grab, Godzilla clapping after KK rolls his way into bonking his head, definitely the first kiddy fight in the series.
Vs. The Smog Monster, flying Godzilla, cartoons, etc.
As for Invasion of the Astro-Monster, please see the video I posted earlier.
Ghidorah has the whole silly princess and secret agent thing going on.

I take back DAM though, that movie was actually pretty brutal thinking about it now.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Can I just point out that anything that plays to a genre could be viewed as campy pretty much %100 of the time? And if it tries to not be "campy" or tries to play up that "campiness" purposefully, it's often viewed as boring or a failure from a fan standpoint. For purposes of this discussion, I point to Return of Godzilla and Final Wars as the obvious examples.

I think successful camp is pretty much kismet; an accidental conglomeration of content. Something you can't just set out to make or even consciously avoid. In some ways, the Bat-Nolan films are even MORE campy for how much they try to...sidestep the inherent camp, but few people would see it that way. It's a matter of perspective.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

I love the Versus series, Godzilla vs Biollante is my second favorite Godzilla film of all time!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I love how camp in tokusatsu apparently means it's "kiddy".

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I only see movies such as Megalon and Gigan as campy...oops and Godzilla's Revenge. A less serious tone is not synonymous with camp.
Liam F.