GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
KManX89
G-Grasper

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Postby KManX89 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Hey guys just rewatched Godzilla 98.

I'll start with some positive things about this movie. I really enjoy seeing some practical effects being used for landmark buildings in New York being destroyed. The same thing in a movie today would always be done with CGI now so it's quite cool to go back and see them being done this way. Also the David Arnold score is actually really good.

We all know a lot of the bad things about this movie but ones that stand out is the concept of a 200ft tall lizard going to a heavily populated city like New York for the purpose of trying to hide. Matthew Broderick's character literally has a scene where he says Manhattan is the perfect place for a building sized dinosaur to hide. What the hell? You also have the part where Godzilla can outrun Military Helicopters but later on can't catch up with a Yellow Taxi.

Bizarre.

And the part where a 200+ foot tall iguana can apparently fit inside a sewer system (yeah skreeonking right), yet it couldn't fit through a tunnel. And the part where human pregnancy tests work on a friggin' mutated iguana, oh and the pharmacy that sold them was apparently open after a giant monster was just running through the city, what are the odds? :lol: Oh, and did I forget to mention the military aren't smart enough to fly above the buildings and can't hit something the size of a skyscraper? That was also covered in the RLM vid.

I can keep going, but yeah, the evidence is quite clear. It's not just a bad Godzilla movie, but bad movie, period. Even if it weren't called Godzilla, it would still be a terribly-acted, poorly-paced, terribly-shot, sloppily-edited, badly-written, inconsistently-toned, plot hole-filled mess of a movie like most Roland Emmerich films. The action scenes are nothing special, either, not even close to making up for all its flaws.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kaiju-Killer 751
Ronin

Postby Kaiju-Killer 751 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 am

I had a random idea that might have made the film at least a little bit better-The ending (or a post credit scene) shows (God)Zilla's body being carted away via helicopters, all strung up in canvases and crap and being transported to a top secret military base where they can dissect the big bastard and see what made him tick. They get him onto this big ass table and call in for industrial machinery to perform the autopsy/dissection in the morning as everyone files out for the day....and then Godzilla's eye opens to show he's not quite dead before the screen cuts to black, his roar overlaying the screen.

Basically Godzilla fakes his own death again, which wouldn't be too hard seeing as he'd (A) Already done it with the two torpedoes, and (B) The wounds weren't that deep. That, and it can't be that easy to feel a heartbeat beneath thousands of pounds of scaly muscle and tissue without some serious equipment (and many animals can lessen their heartbeat to be next to nothing, Reptiles often entering torpor when stressed or cold which is a similar state metabolically speaking).
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:10 pm

I don't think he faked his death with the torpedoes. They legitimately knocked him out, but he was able to recover and slip away before the Navy could find him.

Also, so what if he does wake up? If it is a military installation, I'm sure they have a few rocket launchers and machine guns around. In his half-dead state (and he had to be at least half-dead; you could see the gaping wounds where the missiles hit), that'd probably be enough to put him right back down. :lol:

ultrashort123
Young Farmer

Postby ultrashort123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:09 am

Complete Details of Bollywood and Hollywood Movie Box Office Collection Hit and Flop Verdict and other updates. This List Has been updated on 24 March 2019. http://viralmagics.com/box-office-collection/

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:25 am

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think he faked his death with the torpedoes. They legitimately knocked him out, but he was able to recover and slip away before the Navy could find him.

That was one of the many, MANY gaping plot holes in this movie. The fact that they didn't even bother to check the body after putting him down was just stupid as was the fact that he (a 200+ foot tall iguana) could fit in a sewer system, but couldn't fit through a tunnel and was able to outrun choppers, but not a taxi.

JAGzilla wrote:Also, so what if he does wake up? If it is a military installation, I'm sure they have a few rocket launchers and machine guns around. In his half-dead state (and he had to be at least half-dead; you could see the gaping wounds where the missiles hit), that'd probably be enough to put him right back down. :lol:

This. :lol:
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page

Kaiju-Killer 751
Ronin

Postby Kaiju-Killer 751 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:40 am

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think he faked his death with the torpedoes. They legitimately knocked him out, but he was able to recover and slip away before the Navy could find him.

Also, so what if he does wake up? If it is a military installation, I'm sure they have a few rocket launchers and machine guns around. In his half-dead state (and he had to be at least half-dead; you could see the gaping wounds where the missiles hit), that'd probably be enough to put him right back down. :lol:

Fair enough, just an idea I had to try and leave the beast a little more 'godlike' in durability. And you could see the wounds, but maybe it's a mix of the lighting and the graphics (as much as I like the CG at times) but they don't look THAT deep. That, and we see him digging through earth pretty fast-maybe when everyone's guard is down he claws through the earth and gets away into the wild blue yonder, with the sequel focusing on Godzilla traversing across the countryside to re-unite with his child. But yeah, plot holes and all that.

xolta
Samurai

Postby xolta » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:29 pm

The older I get the less I hate godzilla 98 maybe its nostalgia softening my brain or maybe its the anime makes alot of the bad goji movies look good. But now I just think of 98 as that so bad its funny movie.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am

xolta wrote:The older I get the less I hate godzilla 98 maybe its nostalgia softening my brain or maybe its the anime makes alot of the bad goji movies look good. But now I just think of 98 as that so bad its funny movie.

I could accept the movie as "so bad it's funny" if the bad moments in this movie (and they're really bad) weren't skreeonking cringeworthy.

House of the Dead is a "so bad it's funny" movie IMO. You have these petrified teens suddenly turning into kung-fu masters when fighting zombies, even Matrix dodging them? Topped off with some really bad slow-mo bullet time effects and clips from the game that just appear out of nowhere? THAT, I can sit back and laugh at how stupid it is. "That's a lot of fish"? That's not "so stupid it warrants a laugh", that's just pure cringe.
My Game Ideas Page

American Godzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby American Godzilla » Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm

I grew up seeing Godzilla vs Space Godzilla and Godzilla vs Destroyah before seeing the 1998 film. Now I enjoyed the film and creature look. I knew that the monster was not Godzilla as it lacked the abilities and intelligence of Godzilla, but that never stopped me from enjoying an entertaining Monster Movie.

ON a related topic, I found this amazing fan-mad model that is perfectly accurate to the 1998 Godzilla monster! Image
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:20 pm

^ Dem legs.

Sexiest Godzilla design.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Tue May 21, 2019 3:27 am

You know, thinking about it, the idea that GINO would go to New York to hide isn't as ludicrous as it might at first sound. Nick might not have meant that he was trying to hide from humans, is all. We're just specieist like that and forget that not everything has to be about us. No, more likely what was meant is that he was hiding his eggs from theoretical predators, an instinct he would presumably have even if no predators actually exist.

It's still stupid in that he shouldn't have known New York existed, though.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 am

Fair, and fair.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

American Godzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby American Godzilla » Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 am

I still wish that, what they ended up doing for the 1998 Godzilla cartoon series, was the type of kaiju we got in the movie. That would have been the 1st Godzilla to shoot an atomic breath and have the running + agility of a speed demon along with tough armor. Sadly we didn't get that.

Since Toho converted it to 'Zilla' now I await to see 40,000 fully Grown Zillas charging a Kaiju (we were promised 40k Zillas in the 1998 film after all).
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Thu May 23, 2019 3:06 pm

Size DOES matter.

Kind of stunned to see some of this new merch for G98.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu May 23, 2019 3:13 pm

GigaBowserG wrote:Size DOES matter.

What is this? It's pretty cool, is it a vinyl?
ImageImage
Sith Apprentice.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:

What is this? It's pretty cool, is it a vinyl?

It’s not a vinyl, at least not a typical one. It’s by CAST and they’re extremely limited and hard to get in America.

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Thu May 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Cast is doing an event on the 26th focusing on the 1998 movie. They will be republishing and selling Patrick Tatapoulos The Art of GODZILLA book there, along with a collectible photo set and all those little ornaments. They're also going to be selling a keychain featuring the 1998 Godzilla and KureKure Takora, an anthropomorphic octopus character from one of Toho's old tokusatsu shows.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

American Godzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby American Godzilla » Sun May 26, 2019 6:45 am

That is cool looking! I am shpckec that 98 Zilla is getting new merch. Where did you find this?

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Sun May 26, 2019 10:55 am

American Godzilla wrote:That is cool looking! I am shpckec that 98 Zilla is getting new merch. Where did you find this?

It's from Cast, a Japanese company that makes collectibles like ornaments for kaiju series and holds screenings and panels sometimes. They're holding an event today for the 1998 film where they're selling that along with a lot of other new Godzilla 1998 merchandise. That image was probably posted to Cast's Twitter.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”