GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Postby Rody » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Good grief, it really is 20 years this year, isn't it?

...Well, I'm overdue to listen to the Rifftrax again... :lol:

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 am

I'm going to post a lot of content on my website for the 20th anniversary. Gonna scan in HD behind the scenes pictures and all that jazz. Possibly produce a free-read PDF format book on the making of the film.

KManX89
JXSDF Technician

Postby KManX89 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm

eabaker wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:If anything, this film at least had a great score, a good atmosphere, and fun monster scenes.

I agree about the score and atmosphere, which really help make the first half hour or so quite watchable. But fun monster scenes? Have to agree to disagree on that one. :)

No kidding, he just runs constantly like a little skreeonk. While the incompetently-retarded military somehow misses him at every turn.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltimateDitto
G-Grasper

Postby UltimateDitto » Sun May 20, 2018 11:22 am

It's the 20th anniversary of one of, if not, the most polarizing Godzilla film to date!

Happy 20th ya big tuna head!
*MechaGoji Bro7503's Mile high quote*

"Did you really just quote ALL of that, JUST to say you didn't know there was a Lion King end credit scene ?" - Lain of The Wired
Resized Image
Tournament stats: 2 - 3

eabaker
Keizer

Postby eabaker » Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 am

UltimateDitto wrote:one of, if not, the most polarizing Godzilla film to date!

I would not put this near the top of the "most polarizing" list. While it has its fans, there aren't very many who love it, and while not everyone absolutely hates it, there's a pretty broad consensus that its not a very well written movie.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, GMK, Final Wars, Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla all strike me as far more polarizing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:03 pm

eabaker wrote:
UltimateDitto wrote:one of, if not, the most polarizing Godzilla film to date!

I would not put this near the top of the "most polarizing" list. While it has its fans, there aren't very many who love it, and while not everyone absolutely hates it, there's a pretty broad consensus that its not a very well written movie.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, GMK, Final Wars, Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla all strike me as far more polarizing.

I think in terms of the debates its caused between fans (not saying that is bad just that people keep discussing it) makes it one of the most polarizing films IMO. People debate wither or not the monster in the film is actually Godzilla. The only other film like this is Shin Godzilla.

LegendZilla
EDF Soldier

Postby LegendZilla » Sun May 20, 2018 6:22 pm

I could not initially find this thread, so I posted a 20th anniversary notice on the fixing this movie thread instead.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

godzilla98rules
Futurian

Postby godzilla98rules » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm a bit late, but I decided to quickly doodle this:

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Sun May 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Thank Legendary for the Monsterverse films.

Zarm
EDF Soldier

Postby Zarm » Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 am

godzilla98rules wrote:I'm a bit late, but I decided to quickly doodle this:

"That's a lot of cake."
Check out my crowdfunding campaign to get Zone Fighter translated- running the next few weeks only!

Maranatha!

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 am

godzilla98rules wrote:I'm a bit late, but I decided to quickly doodle this:

Cute! :huge:

Meanwhile, I'm at work on a big retrospective book for the film's 20th anniversary -- should be done by mid-July -- if I'm lucky I'll find a publisher and it'll become a big coffee table book filled with behind-the-scenes info and pictures. At worst, it'll end up online

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Thu May 31, 2018 6:53 am

A surprisingly lengthy article where Dean Devlin reflects on G98: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-writer ... ears-later
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

Maritonic
EDF Soldier

Postby Maritonic » Thu May 31, 2018 7:00 am

I honestly roll my eyes when I hear the problem with the film was Godzilla's design, which is one thing said in the article. The problem with the film is it's acting (or lack thereof), and writing. His design is what it is. And "multiple call backs to the original Gojira" lol where? The film is just not good, not as a giant monster movie, not as a Godzilla film. It's what happens when you get someone to spearhead a project (not talking Devlin here, talking Emmerich) who has 0 passion for the source material and instead wants to do his own thing.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Yes I changed my sig again. Feel like the reasons why are obvious this time.
My Instagram for my figure edits: https://www.instagram.com/anubityde/?hl=en

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 am

GigaBowserG wrote:A surprisingly lengthy article where Dean Devlin reflects on G98: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-writer ... ears-later

...And still continues to not understand a single thing about the character, especially with this gem of a paragraph:

"It is a heartbreak for me that I'm going to all these sci-fi conventions, promoting Bad Samaritan, and I always see these stands with Godzilla and they always leave our Godzilla out. It's so heartbreaking," he says, laughing. "It's like, really? This is a place to celebrate the cheesiness of Godzilla and we're not even good enough to be cheesy?"

No, Devlin. You're not good enough to "be cheesy" (nice respect to the series, dude). Your movie sucked and nothing new from it has come since the late 2000's. It's going to stay forgotten while Legendary triumphantly marches on with the title of "American Godzilla".

I hate to play gatekeeper, but his comments about the original just scream "I am parroting popular opinions". I have no doubt Devlin was a fan of the later Godzilla films growing up, but it's kind of obvious he still thinks they're nothing but so-bad-its-good B-movies.
Check out my YouTube channel CinemaGoji for all things kaiju!

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Thu May 31, 2018 9:10 am

Maritonic wrote:"multiple call backs to the original Gojira" lol where?

Opinions aside, there's key scenes and visuals that do echo the original film and some of the sequels - boat attack (with a shot of a sonar detecting the approaching creature), footprint discovery, certain character archetypes, etc

Maritonic
EDF Soldier

Postby Maritonic » Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 am

Omegamorph wrote:
Maritonic wrote:"multiple call backs to the original Gojira" lol where?

Opinions aside, there's key scenes and visuals that do echo the original film and some of the sequels - boat attack (with a shot of a sonar detecting the approaching creature), footprint discovery, certain character archetypes, etc

Aside from a boat being attacked and discovering a foot print, I'd genuinely like to know what the others are. The article compared Broderick's character to Serizawa and I literally laughed out loud. They claim there are multiple call backs. I count two. Three if you mention the origins of his name.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu May 31, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Zarm
EDF Soldier

Postby Zarm » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 am

Two is 'multiple'. ;)
Check out my crowdfunding campaign to get Zone Fighter translated- running the next few weeks only!

Maranatha!

Maritonic
EDF Soldier

Postby Maritonic » Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 am

Zarm wrote:Two is 'multiple'. ;)

Resized Image

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Thu May 31, 2018 9:28 am

Maritonic wrote:Aside from a boat being attacked and discovering a foot print, I'd genuinely like to know what the others are. The article compared Broderick's character to Serizawa and I literally laughed out loud. They claim there are multiple call backs. I count two. Three if you mention the origins of his name.

The aforementioned 'sonar detecting the approaching monster' is another. Not from 54 specifically but used in others (84, namely). The entire first act is essentially based on the old formula -- obviously reworked -- and some character archetypes (scientist / cameraman & reporter / secret agent) had already been used in Godzilla films. That would be essentially it, unless I'm missing some

They're more 'suggestive call-backs' than literal, specific references, of course
Last edited by Omegamorph on Thu May 31, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
EDF Soldier

Postby Zarm » Thu May 31, 2018 9:32 am

Well, who could forget that immortal scene from the original 1954 Gojira where all the fisherman are complaining about the falloff in their catches, and Dr. Yamane utters "That's a lotta fish!"? ;)

Maranatha!

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”