GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Godzillian
Kwaidan

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:53 am

Say what you will about the film but the soundtrack released with it was pretty great. Some great 90s music on it

Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby Gojira1963 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:43 am

Omegamorph wrote:I love it to this day, there's so much of it that resonates with me, watch it again regularly

Me too. I really enjoy this movie!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Godzillian wrote:Say what you will about the film but the soundtrack released with it was pretty great. Some great 90s music on it

As if, even that was trash
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LegendaryMonster
Samurai

Postby LegendaryMonster » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:39 am

I just watched this again yesterday, and I actually do enjoy this movie at certain points. Is it a good Godzilla movie? No. Is it even a good movie? No. I almost wish it'd not been a Godzilla movie it probably would have done better.

Kaijunator
Kwaidan

Postby Kaijunator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 am

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Say what you will about the film but the soundtrack released with it was pretty great. Some great 90s music on it

They didn't even include tracks from the film. :lol:
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 am

Kaijunator wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:

Wrong. "Opening Titles" and "Looking for Clues" are the last two tracks on the disc.

Kaijunator
Kwaidan

Postby Kaijunator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:21 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaijunator wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:As if, even that was trash

Wrong. "Opening Titles" and "Looking for Clues" are the last two tracks on the disc.

It's only two though. It should've included all the tracks from the film. I hate when that happens.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:22 pm

It's an album with songs "inspired by" the film... not the soundtrack (besides the fact that most of them are overheard in the film). Soundtrack was unfortunately released almost a decade after the film. I own the 3-disc set and it's gorgeous

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:10 pm

I gotta give this film credit, Godzilla's first arrival in New York was really well done, and is still cool to this day imo. Not showing him in full, and from low angles helped with that.

#BotM

godzilla98rules
Futurian

Postby godzilla98rules » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm working on a personal review of this movie and I wanted to get my facts straight before I finished. What was Toho's honest opinion toward this film when it was released? I'm sure they were disappointed, but I want to be sure.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Mechagigan
EDF Soldier

Postby Mechagigan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 am

godzilla98rules wrote:I'm working on a personal review of this movie and I wanted to get my facts straight before I finished. What was Toho's honest opinion toward this film when it was released? I'm sure they were disappointed, but I want to be sure.

I have no absolute sources, but despite approving Zilla's design and presumably the various scripts, I think they fairly openly disliked it. I imagine that's more due to the low reception and numbers it garnered, rather than the film's quality in and of itself.

Since then, though, they've pretty commonly ignored Zilla as a character (limited Japanese merchandise, acknowledgement), besides either minor or 'joke' appearances. All things considered, it's safe to say they've concluded on disliking the movie as a whole.

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Why does there always need to be a "TOHO's this" as if TOHO were a cluttering hive-mind of insectoids. There is bound to be a difference of opinion between its members, I'm sure (and a historical difference, too -- it isn't always helmed by the same people). On the money side, the project did not meet the intended expectations but TOHO got their good slice (both incoming from the rights and the box office itself, not to mention it served as a launching platform for new film releases of theirs). They never shied away from it and it was also included in the 60th anniversary Godzilla film blu-ray line-up.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Wow another tired "le Godzilla 98 is cancer XDXDXDXD" meme. How original

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 pm

I never understood the obsession with "that's a lot of fish." It's a harmless line. Pointless, maybe, but nowhere near as catastrophic as Doug Walker made it out to be. I never even saw it brought up as a criticism until his review. There's so much more that deserves criticism in the movie than that line.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Godzillian wrote:Wow another tired "le Godzilla 98 is cancer XDXDXDXD" meme. How original

Who are you quoting?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 pm

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I never understood the obsession with "that's a lot of fish." It's a harmless line. Pointless, maybe, but nowhere near as catastrophic as Doug Walker made it out to be.

Not to defend Doug Walker, but he claimed in later videos that old NC was all about trying to force memes and stupid inside jokes. I have no doubt that's what this was.

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I never understood the obsession with "that's a lot of fish." It's a harmless line. Pointless, maybe, but nowhere near as catastrophic as Doug Walker made it out to be.

Not to defend Doug Walker, but he claimed in later videos that old NC was all about trying to force memes and stupid inside jokes. I have no doubt that's what this was.

That's fair. I think it irritated me more that it caught on and people started treating it like a major flaw. I still see it all over the place. It's such a minor thing.

scottzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby scottzilla » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 pm

This movie came out when I was 6 years old, and I remember just being so stoked that we got an American made Godzilla flick. Looking back, it's a bad 90's movie and a worse Godzilla movie.

I've always been confused by Toho's approval/disapproval. They approved the design and I've heard they loved it, they approved everything about the script, but then poop on it when it came out. I guess that's just shrouded in mystery and no one will ever truly know how they feel.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:52 pm

scottzilla wrote:This movie came out when I was 6 years old, and I remember just being so stoked that we got an American made Godzilla flick. Looking back, it's a bad 90's movie and a worse Godzilla movie.

I've always been confused by Toho's approval/disapproval. They approved the design and I've heard they loved it, they approved everything about the script, but then poop on it when it came out. I guess that's just shrouded in mystery and no one will ever truly know how they feel.

It's easier for Toho to put all the blame on Sony then acknowledge their hand in it

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”