GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Postby Godzillian » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Never really hated this film (though I can't say it's a good movie or godzilla picture in anyway lol). What it did to the Godzilla brand is to me the worst aspect of it. All the white hot fan hate this film gets is really tiring at this point and frankly the dumbest thing about the fandom. Get over it lmao and like I said I don't like the movie. Tbh it might be one of the worst and most insanely mismanaged movies ever

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Godzillian wrote:Never really hated this film (though I can't say it's a good movie or godzilla picture in anyway lol). What it did to the Godzilla brand is to me the worst aspect of it. All the white hot fan hate this film gets is really tiring at this point and frankly the dumbest thing about the fandom. Get over it lmao and like I said I don't like the movie. Tbh it might be one of the worst and most insanely mismanaged movies ever

The movie could be a lot worst, it really drags after they "kill" Godzilla for the first time though and that's honestly really the only time I completely lose it.
Other than that, I can tolerate it probably a lot better than I can with say, Spacegodzilla or something.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Postby gzillafan17 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm

As a Godzilla movie it is terrible but as just a monster movie I actually quite like it. It's a fun movie to watch every now and then.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Postby Godzillian » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:51 am

gzillafan17 wrote:As a Godzilla movie it is terrible but as just a monster movie I actually quite like it. It's a fun movie to watch every now and then.

If you took away the Godzilla name it's still a pretty awful movie. It has problems that aren't just about how it handles Godzilla

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Postby gzillafan17 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:13 am

Godzillian wrote:
gzillafan17 wrote:As a Godzilla movie it is terrible but as just a monster movie I actually quite like it. It's a fun movie to watch every now and then.

If you took away the Godzilla name it's still a pretty awful movie. It has problems that aren't just about how it handles Godzilla

I still enjoy it and watch it from time to time.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Postby KManX89 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:59 am

gzillafan17 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:

GINO 98 was skreeonking horrible even as a monster movie. Annoying characters, -------- military who can't hit a 200 foot tall iguana, cringeworthy dialog ("that's a lot of fish"), horrible acting, stupid romantic sub plot (Bueller and his girlfriend "catching up on old times" after a giant lizard was just roaming through the city is 100 different kinds of fail), putrid CGI, the list goes on and on.

But hey, that's Roland Emmerich for you, his films usually are terrible.

And on that note:

My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Mechagigan
Futurian

Postby Mechagigan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:19 am

Also, there's the whole issue where not a single character plays as anything other than a crappy living trope... even the lead, who we're supposed to confide in and identify with, comes off as far too unrealistic to take seriously.

Actually, that's a good way to sum up this movie. As badly as it wanted to be a 'realistic' Godzilla, they took the concept itself too far while leaving everything else behind.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Mechagigan wrote:Also, there's the whole issue where not a single character plays as anything other than a crappy living trope... even the lead, who we're supposed to confide in and identify with, comes off as far too unrealistic to take seriously.

Actually, that's a good way to sum up this movie. As badly as it wanted to be a 'realistic' Godzilla, they took the concept itself too far while leaving everything else behind.

Realism =/= better.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Samurai

Postby Kaiju-Killer 751 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:54 pm

I don't care what people say, I STILL like this movie and always will.

Omegamorph
Monarch Researcher

Postby Omegamorph » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:27 am

I love it to this day, there's so much of it that resonates with me, watch it again regularly
monsterlegacy.net

MechaGoji Bro7503

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Ugh I just dont like Roland Emmerich.

To be honest I guess this film technically got me into Godzilla, but to me not really. When I saw this as a kid I was like" oh a big dinosaur", then when I saw Terror of Mechagodzilla I was like" WOAH WHAT IS THIS I WANT MORE". Over this film is okay, still dont understand how Toho let this happen. I dont hate this film, at least we got the Millennium series because of this and I love those Godzilla designs. The actual soundtrack to this film is pretty good, I like it. "Zilla" is pitifully weak its just embarrassing to kaiju. Yeah this is cheesy and put quite a few misconceptions in idiots minds, some of which haunt many of us today. Alas this literally monstrosity is in the past and we need to look into the future. Overall, 4/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Postby gzillafan17 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:46 am

KManX89 wrote:
gzillafan17 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:If you took away the Godzilla name it's still a pretty awful movie. It has problems that aren't just about how it handles Godzilla

GINO 98 was skreeonking horrible even as a monster movie. Annoying characters, -------- military who can't hit a 200 foot tall iguana, cringeworthy dialog ("that's a lot of fish"), horrible acting, stupid romantic sub plot (Bueller and his girlfriend "catching up on old times" after a giant lizard was just roaming through the city is 100 different kinds of fail), putrid CGI, the list goes on and on.

But hey, that's Roland Emmerich for you, his films usually are terrible.

And on that note:

Hey I thought they were pretty funny. To be fair, most kaiju movies they miss a lot, they usually just don't cause collateral damage. I may not be a CGI snob, but it didn't bother me. We can just agree to disagree on some points.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Postby KManX89 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:13 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Yeah this is cheesy and put quite a few misconceptions in idiots minds, some of which haunt many of us today.

By far the most annoying of those being the common misconception that Godzilla is a giant lizard. I know I've ranted about this in the past, but it has to be said: no, he's skreeonking not. Godzilla (the real Godzilla) is, and always has been, a giant dinosaur, not the same thing. I swear, it wasn't until this POS came out that people started labeling him a giant lizard.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Omegamorph
Monarch Researcher

Postby Omegamorph » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:55 am

the "real" Godzilla has been things that include but are not limited to a dinosaur

the original Godzilla -- and we are to assume the second showa one -- was a mutated "transitional aquatic reptile" which doesn't really automatically translate to "dinosaur", Godzilla was not a mutated dinosaur before they introduced that idea in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah

people have been calling Godzilla a giant lizard for long before 1998 & there's nothing really wrong in calling him that really (lizard is a common folk's name for any reptile & the word dinosaur means "terrible lizard" anyway)
monsterlegacy.net

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Terasawa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 am

Omegamorph wrote:the original Godzilla -- and we are to assume the second showa one -- was a mutated "transitional aquatic reptile" which doesn't really automatically translate to "dinosaur", Godzilla was not a mutated dinosaur before they introduced that idea in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah

It might not fit with what we know about paleontology now, or maybe even then, but I think it's clear that the filmmakers intended for Godzilla to be a mutated dinosaur.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Postby Coobzilla03 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:52 am

I'm surprised that such an awful movie has so many posts about it. I guess its because it has so much controversy.
Tohokingdom's local Wumbologist! It's 1st grade!
Resized Image

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Postby Rodan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Mechagigan wrote:Actually, that's a good way to sum up this movie. As badly as it wanted to be a 'realistic' Godzilla, they took the concept itself too far while leaving everything else behind.

It's hard to be a "realistic" movie when everything about the world you design is 100% cartoonish. It's totally done in the style of checkbox-driven late '90s Hollywood spectacle films, though, which Roland and Emmerich themselves helped birth.

Anyway, yeah. It's a bad movie. It's a bad monster movie. How it handles Godzilla doesn't even need to factor in, though it's so transparently cynical about it, it's hard to ignore how obviously little everyone involved actually wanted to be connected to the IP. I do watch it from time to time, but it's basically for the novelty of seeing Godzilla filtered through that late '90s Hollywood lens. Compared to the poop that would follow in later decades, it seems kind of quaint and harmless now. It's like an anthropological artifact, and one from a time when this was as low-brow as Hollywood would go.

Hey, remember when critics like Ebert and Siskel were popular enough to be mocked and people actually gave a poop about movies?
Last edited by Rodan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omegamorph
Monarch Researcher

Postby Omegamorph » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:19 am

Terasawa wrote:It might not fit with what we know about paleontology now, or maybe even then, but I think it's clear that the filmmakers intended for Godzilla to be a mutated dinosaur.

The anatomy is certainly based on the old conception of tripod-posture dinosaurs like those found in the Knight illustrations. That's a given

Had they wanted to use the term 'dinosaur' they would have, though
monsterlegacy.net

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 pm

The film makers did use the latest information on dinosaur anatomy in 54, which is largely antiqueted now.

As for the design of Gino, it's not bad. I could have liked it better if it had only acted like Godzilla instead of a mutant lizard.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Leviarex
G-Force Personnel

Postby Leviarex » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:41 pm

In slamming this movie, I'd just be beating a dead horse's skeleton. What I will say about it is what the Nostalgia Critic said in his 'The Last Airbender' review: Shitty remakes and reboots help us fans to love and appreciate the original source material all the more. So to that end, it's oddly fitting that this led to not only the Millennium series, but also the 'Best Of Godzilla' soundtracks, the Dark Horse graphic novels, and the stateside release of the rest of the Heisei series.

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”